PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How do I run an Epic Level campaign in Pathfinder?

MonkeySage
2019-01-27, 12:02 PM
I am not a fan of Mythic Adventures, and I've tried using it in the past to disastrous results. I've always preferred the Epic Level content of D&D 3e and 3.5e, despite their many flaws. But I've looked at the Epic Pathfinder PDF, and I find it very unsatisfying. I suppose I'm trying to figure out how to implement the old rules, those presented in the old SRD for example. I feel like those would be a better fit not only for my campaign but also for my setting overall.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-27, 12:39 PM
Epic is very broken. The gap between mundanes and spellcasters widens even more, doubly so with Epic Spellcasting.

The monsters CR design is a mess and the feats are horribly unbalanced.

There's a reason few people play epic.

:smallfrown:

MonkeySage
2019-01-27, 12:55 PM
I've heard all that before. If it bothered me, I wouldn't ask how to run an Epic Level campaign in Pathfinder. As for Epic Spellcasting: I actually like the idea of spells that are more powerful than Wish. I like the idea of 10th level spells, and I've already established that that kind of magic has been used before within my setting. I hate mythic spellcasting because it just feels like metamagic.

Monster CR is already a misleading mess in pathfinder, and planning an encounter based solely on CR is a recipe for a bad time, especially at higher levels.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-27, 02:31 PM
I've heard all that before. If it bothered me, I wouldn't ask how to run an Epic Level campaign in Pathfinder. As for Epic Spellcasting: I actually like the idea of spells that are more powerful than Wish. I like the idea of 10th level spells, and I've already established that that kind of magic has been used before within my setting. I hate mythic spellcasting because it just feels like metamagic.

Monster CR is already a misleading mess in pathfinder, and planning an encounter based solely on CR is a recipe for a bad time, especially at higher levels.

Alright.

I think you could use a lot of the epic content as is. The monsters might be an issue, because I believe that Pathfinder uses different rules for monster statblocks.

noob
2019-01-27, 02:35 PM
There is a homebrew about making epic levels for pathfinder that had some quite cool stuff such as instead of epic spellcasting you can research normal spells of level higher than 9.

MonkeySage
2019-01-27, 02:38 PM
I'm no fan of their idea of a Prowess bonus, though... Where basically you choose which of your attacks gets a bonus, and they all eventually level out to +20/+20/+20/+20... Because there's nothing in the bestiaries that does anything like that.

I agree though, it does have cool stuff...

noob
2019-01-27, 02:54 PM
I'm no fan of their idea of a Prowess bonus, though... Where basically you choose which of your attacks gets a bonus, and they all eventually level out to +20/+20/+20/+20... Because there's nothing in the bestiaries that does anything like that.

I agree though, it does have cool stuff...

I do not think I am speaking of the same homebrew as you.

inuyasha
2019-01-27, 03:15 PM
Doesn't the core rulebook have a ruling for this? I seem to remember it saying to continue the standard progressions of all abilities, like bonus feats and sneak attack damage, hexes and rage powers and all that jazz. I don't remember what it says about spell slots, but there's always metamagic and spell research.

MonkeySage
2019-01-27, 05:06 PM
To be honest, part of why i'm trying to do this is because I have never had a chance to play an epic level campaign. The one gm i know who might have run one i could join ended his campaign early.