PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Order Cleric: Best Cleric for a social campaign?

Merudo
2019-01-28, 03:40 AM
I'm curious what would be the best Cleric for a social campaign.

The Order domain seems pretty good:

Its spells work well on humanoids (Command, Zone of Truth, Hold Person, Locate Creature, Commune, Dominate Person)
Gives proficiency in either Persuasion or Intimidation
Channel Divinity: Order's Demand gives advantage on social ability checks.

The Knowledge domain also does really well, especially at higher levels:

The spells have great social uses (Command, Identify, Augury, Suggestion, Nondetection, Speak with Dead, Arcane Eye, Legend Lore, Scrying)
Channel Divinity: Knowledge of the Ages can be used to get social skill proficiencies
Read Thoughts (at level 6) is amazing to get information

The Trickery domain is great when its time to spy & sneak around:

Blessing of the Trickster gives advantage on Stealth check to a party member
Invoke Duplicity can be used as a sort of Major Image
The spell list is amazing: Charm Person, Disguise Self, Pass without Trace, Polymorph, Dominate Person, Modify Memory

The next two would be Arcana Domain (Nystul's Magic Aura & Arcane Eye) and Nature Domain (Animal Friendship & Speak with Animals) but they are really not in the same tier as the previous three.

Grimmnist
2019-01-28, 11:30 PM
I would say Knowledge domain is best for a social campaign, but it would depend on the makeup of your party. Order domain certainly would be good in a face like role, but many other classes get similar features (e.g. Glamour Bard or Enchantment Wizard), and in the case of bard, more charisma and expertise to specialize in that role.

I think Knowledge domain stands alone in its social role. Need to get information from a Lord's chef? Bam! Channel some proficiency to talk shop about cooking and suddenly they trust you, making the charisma checks you may need easier. Read Thoughts can be used to great effect, partially for gathering information, but don't forget that if they fail the initial saving throw you can cast suggestion on them and it is guaranteed to succeed with no obvious sign that you have done anything!

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-29, 06:10 PM
For a strictly social campaign, I agree that Knowledge really takes the cake. Order is thematic, but most of its abilities are focused around combat.

I'd probably list it in this order:

Knowledge
Order
Nature
Trickery
Arcane
Forge