PDA

View Full Version : HeroForge needs you!

Heliomance
2019-01-28, 05:57 AM
Some of you might know of HeroForge, a character creation app I've been maintaining, on and off, for several years. Well, I've finally got fed up of wrestling with Excel as it stumbles under the load of an ever more cumbersome spreadsheet. I want to try and start again, turning it into a standalone open source app, that helps with every aspect of building a 3.5 character.

This is a fairly massive undertaking, and I could use some help.

I'm a decent programmer, and I'm fairly confident that making this thing is within my capabilities - and also is going to teach me a lot. What I'm not so great at, though, is design, and without that it's pretty hard to get started. So, if you'd like to be part of making the next generation HeroForge, I'd love to have you on board. Design is the most urgent need, but if you're a coder or you'd just like to help with data entry, there'll be room for that further down the road.

PM me if you're interested, and we'll talk. Many thanks!

Rebel7284
2019-01-28, 07:52 AM
Wow, I wish this would have happened earlier... I JUST started a full time job after being unemployed for a number of months. I might still be able to contribute a little bit. Gonna send that PM

Dekion
2019-01-28, 08:15 AM
I just wanted to say thank you for all of the work you put into HeroForge. My group and I no longer play 3.5 and have completely transitioned to Pathfinder, retaining only gestalt, but your spreadsheet was a staple when we were still playing 3.5 and everything you created was greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, I don't have the skills necessary to help in this endeavor, but, for anyone who does and doesn't know about your contributions, I wanted to state that it's a very worthwhile task that will likely be appreciated by many.

(edited for spelling)

ApologyFestival
2019-01-28, 08:49 AM
I don't have the skills to contribute to your project, but I'd like to add that my friends and I have been playing D&D 3.5 for six years, over four different campaigns, and for much of that time we've used HeroForge. I still use it every week to create and update player, non-player, and monstrous characters.

Thank you, Heliomance, for creating and maintaining HeroForge.

Heliomance
2019-01-28, 09:06 AM
I don't have the skills to contribute to your project, but I'd like to add that my friends and I have been playing D&D 3.5 for six years, over four different campaigns, and for much of that time we've used HeroForge. I still use it every week to create and update player, non-player, and monstrous characters.

Thank you, Heliomance, for creating and maintaining HeroForge.

I don't want to take credit where it's not due - I didn't create HeroForge originally, I just picked it up when the creator abandoned it. I've only been maintaining it for the last four or five years maybe?

JMS
2019-01-28, 09:13 AM
I don't want to take credit where it's not due - I didn't create HeroForge originally, I just picked it up when the creator abandoned it. I've only been maintaining it for the last four or five years maybe?

That's still amazing, I didn't know that one of GitP's finest minds and community members was providing so much support for the project. While I don't have the skills needed, I hope you find some who do.