PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew magic item help

Dungeon-noob
2019-01-28, 08:04 AM
So, i'm working on a monk magic item, and i'm almost done. I'd like to ask the playground for feedback, specificly what rarity this item should be, and for the final details on the falcon effect.

Here we go: Four guardian fists ()(attunement):
Laquer plated arm wrappings, depicting a diving red falcon in flames, a pure white soaring albatross, a curling giant eel in deep blue, and an bracing granite colored ox.

Item has 6 charges, can spend one to activate an effect. Recharges 1d4+3 at dawn.

Falcon effect grants 10 reach with unarmed attacks, and also deals 1d10 fire damage to each. If all attacks directed at same target, deal another 1dx on last attack. Albatross effect targets within 30ft with a str save, on fail deal 3d10 bludgeoning damage and move up to 20ft away and knock prone, half damage and no rider on successful save. Eel effect targets within 30ft with dex save, on fail deal 3d10 bludgeoning damage and either knock prone or move up to 25ft closer. Half damage and no rider on successful save. Ox effect like wall of stone, but only two panels instead of ten.

I'd be very glad for your help and opinions.

Zanthy1
2019-01-28, 08:48 AM
I would say Very Rare at a minimum, but would classify it as Legendary if I were making it. Not only does it have a ton of usable effects, but they are all pretty darn good.

MThurston
2019-01-28, 08:59 AM
I would say this. Way too powerful.

1. I would say just the d4 recharge.

2. Damage is too much. Adding just another d type to whatever they are using. 1d8 sword then another 1d8. 1d6 punch then another d6.

3. You also have to find a way for the other players to have something simular. No one wants to play a game where the monk is killing everything in sight.

Dungeon-noob
2019-01-28, 10:13 AM
I would say Very Rare at a minimum, but would classify it as Legendary if I were making it. Not only does it have a ton of usable effects, but they are all pretty darn good.
Very rare is what i figured. As might be clear, this is more of an alpha idea, what would you change if you could? Less charges and recharge? different effects? more requirements?

thoroughlyS
2019-01-28, 07:01 PM
In order to judge this item effectively, it helps to have more context.

Why are you introducing it to your game? Is this going to be given to the party at some point, or is it an NPC's? I'm assuming you're going to give this to a four elements monk?

How common is magic in your game? Are your players in Middle Earth, where magic is told of in legend and the work of the divine? Or are they in Eberron, where you can buy wands in every city? How are you intending to introduce it to the party? Is it the reward for a long quest they've elected to undertake? Or is just going to be dropped in their lap? Are you planning to give the other players items as well? Are you planning for them to be of equal value and power?

Dungeon-noob
2019-01-29, 03:56 AM
In order to judge this item effectively, it helps to have more context.

Why are you introducing it to your game? Is this going to be given to the party at some point, or is it an NPC's? I'm assuming you're going to give this to a four elements monk?

How common is magic in your game? Are your players in Middle Earth, where magic is told of in legend and the work of the divine? Or are they in Eberron, where you can buy wands in every city? How are you intending to introduce it to the party? Is it the reward for a long quest they've elected to undertake? Or is just going to be dropped in their lap? Are you planning to give the other players items as well? Are you planning for them to be of equal value and power?
Fair questions all. I've just had a session zero for a OotA game, and one of my players has a monk, intending to go sun soul. Having read through the module, i was reminded of a complaint i'd heard about monks before: how they get very little magic items, especially in terms of combat gear, compared to other classes, due to their self-sufficient nature. While flipping through books, this idea jumped into my head when i remembered talks with this player about how 4 elements was basicly unplayable (i.e. i can expect them not to take the subclass), and decided to get professional help on fleshing out this weird idea i had. I'd expect to drop it somewhere late in the module in some way (probs some sidequest), when they've found a few awesome magic swords and have a sizeable amount of magic gear already, to help keep the balance even, as the monk's fancy ultimate piece of shiny gear.

Does that help clear things up?

Mjolnirbear
2019-01-29, 11:58 AM
Why do you need it?

Monks are proficient in all kinds of weapons. There is no need to invent non-weapon monk items. A monk can't wear armour. But they can use weapons. If they *choose* not to use weapons, it's like choosing to wear a blindfold. If they're doing it, they're doing it for the challenge.

It's like making a Tavern Brawler a Magic Chair Leg of Awesomeness. They've chosen the challenges they want, so don't mess with it. Give them other things: a cloak of protection, or ring of efreeti summoning, or something awesome that's not a weapon.

Zanthy1
2019-01-29, 12:47 PM
Very rare is what i figured. As might be clear, this is more of an alpha idea, what would you change if you could? Less charges and recharge? different effects? more requirements?

I would cut the charges and recharges, as well as some of the effects. If you want a magic item that does something for each elements, then have it do one thing per setting. Don't give it an effect/ability AND extra damage. I ultimately I would cut the extra damage entirely.

Rukelnikov
2019-01-29, 03:57 PM
So, i'm working on a monk magic item, and i'm almost done. I'd like to ask the playground for feedback, specificly what rarity this item should be, and for the final details on the falcon effect.

Here we go: Four guardian fists ()(attunement):
Laquer plated arm wrappings, depicting a diving red falcon in flames, a pure white soaring albatross, a curling giant eel in deep blue, and an bracing granite colored ox.

Item has 6 charges, can spend one to activate an effect. Recharges 1d4+3 at dawn.

Falcon effect grants 10 reach with unarmed attacks, and also deals 1d10 fire damage to each. If all attacks directed at same target, deal another 1dx on last attack. Albatross effect targets within 30ft with a str save, on fail deal 3d10 bludgeoning damage and move up to 20ft away and knock prone, half damage and no rider on successful save. Eel effect targets within 30ft with dex save, on fail deal 3d10 bludgeoning damage and either knock prone or move up to 25ft closer. Half damage and no rider on successful save. Ox effect like wall of stone, but only two panels instead of ten.

I'd be very glad for your help and opinions.

A couple questions:

Does Falcon give you its properties for 1 round/charge (like Fangs of the Fire Snake)??
Do you require monk to attune to it?

I don't think there's anything wrong with the item per se, I would consider it Legendary, while its power may be more in line with very rare, the nature of the item sounds to me more like an item of legend, I can picture it waiting in a forgotten temple of the four elements, guarded by the 4 elemental animals.

I love items that do stuff instead of just giving flat bonuses, however I think this item, as is, may not be what you intended when you were trying to make more items for monks, since it would be interesting for many characters, shapeshifters in particular. And while undoubtedly good for monks, it is less so for FEs, since if I'm one, odds are there will be redundancy with the powers (though it would allow me to save ki which is great itself).

IMO, give it some monk interaction, like you can choose to spend Ki instead of charges to activate the powers. That would cement it as a monk item.

thoroughlyS
2019-01-29, 05:09 PM
If your goal is to reduce the perceived gap in items for monks, then I would recommend against making this a late-game item. The majority of the campaign would play out normally, and them the monk would get a snazzy item for the last three levels. Tying it to a side quest can be fun as long as it isn't so bloated as to detract from the main story.

The animal theme reminds me of the Four Symbols (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Symbols); they could be a good source of inspiration. Lots of cultural and historical threads that could be woven into the narrative of the campaign. Another inspiration could be the elder elementals in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes (p.198). You have a nice mix of familiar and obscure creatures that you can introduce to the player.

I would recommend breaking this down into four items, which can appear over the course of the campaign. Perhaps one could be found among the idols of the kuo-toa, and another in the city of fungus. The party won't have to go out of their way to find them, but may have to face a few challenges to actually claim them. Another benefit of introducing multiple items is that the monk has the opportunity to spread the love. With one big item, someone else in the party might get jealous. With four smaller items, the monk could loan them out, or even give hand-me-downs.

If you go with the Four Symbols, they have a kind of common progression to them: the qing dragon (east, spring), the vermilion bird (south, summer), the white tiger (west, autumn), and the black tortoise (north, winter). The qing dragon is also considered the head of the group, so reversing the order would make just as much sense. Maybe even have them grow in power over the course of the campaign; minor uncommon, major uncommon, minor rare, major rare. If you go with the elder elementals, you could introduce them in practically any order (although I have my preferences (https://data.whicdn.com/images/62797135/original.gif)).

Dungeon-noob
2019-01-30, 06:13 AM
If your goal is to reduce the perceived gap in items for monks, then I would recommend against making this a late-game item. The majority of the campaign would play out normally, and them the monk would get a snazzy item for the last three levels. Tying it to a side quest can be fun as long as it isn't so bloated as to detract from the main story.

The animal theme reminds me of the Four Symbols (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Symbols); they could be a good source of inspiration. Lots of cultural and historical threads that could be woven into the narrative of the campaign. Another inspiration could be the elder elementals in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes (p.198). You have a nice mix of familiar and obscure creatures that you can introduce to the player.

I would recommend breaking this down into four items, which can appear over the course of the campaign. Perhaps one could be found among the idols of the kuo-toa, and another in the city of fungus. The party won't have to go out of their way to find them, but may have to face a few challenges to actually claim them. Another benefit of introducing multiple items is that the monk has the opportunity to spread the love. With one big item, someone else in the party might get jealous. With four smaller items, the monk could loan them out, or even give hand-me-downs.

If you go with the Four Symbols, they have a kind of common progression to them: the qing dragon (east, spring), the vermilion bird (south, summer), the white tiger (west, autumn), and the black tortoise (north, winter). The qing dragon is also considered the head of the group, so reversing the order would make just as much sense. Maybe even have them grow in power over the course of the campaign; minor uncommon, major uncommon, minor rare, major rare. If you go with the elder elementals, you could introduce them in practically any order (although I have my preferences (https://data.whicdn.com/images/62797135/original.gif)).
I did indeed think of the four cardinal guardians of china when dreaming up this item, having these animals fit a similar role. Breaking up the item is a very good idea, i think i'll do that. Making it the monk's quest to recover all four bands and remake the guardian fists, i like it. Thanks for the idea.

thoroughlyS
2019-01-31, 09:09 PM
Making it the monk's quest to recover all four bands and remake the guardian fists, i like it.
I was thinking fully individual items. For the sake of an example, let's go with the Four Symbols motif:

DRAGON ROOT AMULET
Wondrous item, uncommon
This turquoise amulet is set in a ring of wood attached to a thick leather band. While wearing it, you can use an action to cast the protection from evil and good spell from it at will. The spell ends early if you remove the amulet.

TIGER CLAW GAUNTLETS
Wondrous item, rare(requires attunement)
These gauntlets are fashioned from gleaming mithral, and are decorated with protruding golden claws along the knuckles and gold stripes across the vambraces. While wearing them, you can add 10 feet to your long jump distance and 3 feet to your high jump distance. Also, when you hit a creature wearing armor made of metal with a melee weapon attack, the target takes an extra 1d8 slashing damage.
You cannot attune to these gauntlets while wearing the dragon root amulet.

I based the effect of the dragon item off of the tradition of the qing dragon as a door god. Protection from evil spirits seemed fitting, and niche enough to qualify as an uncommon major item. The white tiger item is based on the association with elemental metal. Fun fact: in the tradition of wu xing, the archetypal metal is gold. I stole the tiger totem from SCAG (which nobody ever takes) and gave it a decent combat benefit to hopefully make it worth a rare major item. I also added a restriction as a nod to Tiger vs Dragon (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TigerVersusDragon) which hopefully encourages the party to share.