PDA

View Full Version : Stone Golems and Symbols

heavyfuel
2019-01-28, 08:04 AM
I was reading the Stone Golem SRD for a future quest and came up on this:

This golem has a humanoid body made from stone. A stone golem is 9 feet tall and weighs around 2,000 pounds. Its body is frequently stylized to suit its creator. For example, it might look like it is wearing armor, with a particular symbol carved on the breastplate, or have designs worked into the stone of its limbs.

[...]

CL 14th; Craft Construct, antimagic field, geas/quest, slow, symbol of stunning, caster must be at least 14th level; Price 90,000 gp; Cost 50,000 gp + 3,400 XP.

So, I might be reading too much into it, but it seems like the golem is supposed to have a Symbol of Stunning spell inscribed onto it, which makes it much more formidable.

Are there any other creative things you can do to a stone golem to make it more of a threat?

Mike Miller
2019-01-28, 10:05 AM
Excellent find. My next Stone golem will definitely have a symbol! You could enchant its slam if you wanted, right? Instead of just looking like it wears armor, you could give it armor enchants too.

Malphegor
2019-01-28, 10:12 AM
Runes (as in the kind a runecaster/inscribe rune person do) would also work for a similar 'it is marked with symbols that contain a magic spell.

Also, having it be hollow so a person can pilot it is surely an option. But that way leads to mech battles between golem-suit-evangelions and someone with an apparatus of the crab.

Tamior
2019-01-28, 12:51 PM
Runes (as in the kind a runecaster/inscribe rune person do) would also work for a similar 'it is marked with symbols that contain a magic spell.

Also, having it be hollow so a person can pilot it is surely an option. But that way leads to mech battles between golem-suit-evangelions and someone with an apparatus of the crab.
Don't forget about psions manifesting astral constructs for their mecha-armor.
Conceivably you can even make individual astral consturcts assemble into one mega-construct.