PDA

View Full Version : Would this spell be legit, or just plain munchkinery?

Cicciograna
2019-01-28, 09:36 AM
Would this improved version of Sending be considered too much for a game? I was thinking of asking my DM if my character (a Sorcerer) would be able to research it, spending time and resources on it.

Improved Sending

4rd-level evocation
Casting Time 1 minute (Ritual)
Range Unlimited
Components V S M (Fine copper wire)
Duration 1 minute
For the duration of the spell, you're able to converse with a target creature you're familiar with. The creature hears your call in its mind, recognizes you if it knows you, and can further converse with you. Creatures with Intelligence scores of at least 1 understand the meaning of your message.

You can contact creatures across any distance. If the target is on a different plane than you, there is a 5 percent chance that the message doesn't arrive.

I'd be interested in the Ritual tag, more than the actual effect of the spell. Would that be too powerful?

Snivlem
2019-01-28, 09:42 AM
Would this improved version of Sending be considered too much for a game? I was thinking of asking my DM if my character (a Sorcerer) would be able to research it, spending time and resources on it.

I'd be interested in the Ritual tag, more than the actual effect of the spell. Would that be too powerful?

I dont see a problem with it, but i would avoid the ritual tag because the original sending doesnt have that. Maybe it should be 5th level also.

Ganymede
2019-01-28, 09:45 AM
Honestly, this just seems like a way to cast Sending at will. I would not allow it.

Rukelnikov
2019-01-28, 09:57 AM
Honestly, this just seems like a way to cast Sending at will. I would not allow it.

This.

If you wanna keep it this way, ritual tag and all, you should add a costly component 250 gp or smthg.

Unoriginal
2019-01-28, 09:59 AM
Sorcerers can cast spells as rituals?

Cicciograna
2019-01-28, 10:10 AM
Yeah, that was my idea, and this is why I mentioned munchkinery. I had the feeling it would be too much to ask for.

Sorcerers can cast spells as rituals?
Not normally, but my Sorc took Ritual casting.

PhantomSoul
2019-01-28, 10:17 AM
Instead of having identical spell effects but with better duration (1 round --> 1 minute) and a lower cost (higher slot, but Ritual so the plan is to negate that), would Rary's Telepathic Bond at the next spell level cover the goal, or is it specifically to negate all distance and planar restrictions with people you're not necessarily near beforehand? For what it's worth, the current version is something I wouldn't see being added in the games I play.

Cicciograna
2019-01-28, 10:20 AM
Instead of having identical spell effects but with better duration (1 round --> 1 minute) and a lower cost (higher slot, but Ritual so the plan is to negate that), would Rary's Telepathic Bond at the next spell level cover the goal, or is it specifically to negate all distance and planar restrictions with people you're not necessarily near beforehand? For what it's worth, the current version is something I wouldn't see being added in the games I play.

Oooh, much better, without the need for munchkinery. Thanks for the heads-up.

EDIT: actually it's not better, since the creatures must be present at the moment of casting, but thanks anyway.

I need some kind of long distance communication device that doesn't take up spell slots and that also non-casters could use.

Ganymede
2019-01-28, 10:41 AM
I need some kind of long distance communication device that doesn't take up spell slots and that also non-casters could use.

That would be a cellphone.

But for real, it sounds like a magic item is the solution to your problem, not a spell.

PhantomSoul
2019-01-28, 10:59 AM

But for real, it sounds like a magic item is the solution to your problem, not a spell.

I had the same thought... but (and I can't tell how serious I am) why not both?

Spell Phone
Rarity: Rare
Attunement: (I'm thinking not)

You can verbally communicate with any other creature who holds another Spell Phone, one at a time, a type of communication named a "call". You can make calls at any distance, but transplanar calls have a 5% chance to be dropped each round, thereby ending the call.

You can initiate a call with your Bonus Action by expending a Spell Slot of your choice and you must have a hand free to hold the Spell Phone. Your call partner must also have a free hand to participate in the call and is notified that a call is being attempted because their Spell Phone produces a jingle that's audible up to 15 Feet. The call lasts for a number of minutes equal to the level of the Spell Slot you expend when you initiate the call. You can choose to call in a manner called "collect", in which case you attempt to call another individual and they must pay the Spell Slot cost to initiate communication, which occurs as though you had expended the Spell Slot.

If you or your call partner stops holding the Spell Phone during the call, the call does not end. However, you cannot hear the call communication if you are not holding the Spell Phone.

If you attune to your Spell Phone, you can operate the device without the need to hold it in your hand, but it must be within 10 Feet of you throughout all calls.

Keravath
2019-01-28, 11:14 AM
Deleted since I didn't read all the replies :)

Rukelnikov
2019-01-28, 02:21 PM

There's a pair of stones you can use, it allows sending between the 2 stone holders 1/day

EDIT: The item's name is aptly "Sending Stones"