PDA

View Full Version : Tiefling Warlock/Paladin

paperarmor
2019-01-28, 09:45 AM
So I'm building a tiefling pal/lock but I can't exactly decide what the split should be. I'm new to 5e and I'm unsure what's best.
Well the idea is to take the celestial patron and go pact of the blade and oath of vengeance paladin. The end goal of the character is to storm hell and kill the unholy patron that cursed his bloodline.

nickl_2000
2019-01-28, 09:47 AM
What is your goal with the character? Who do you want him to be? What skills are interesting to you?

Rukelnikov
2019-01-28, 10:02 AM
Well, it depends on what do you want your focus to be, do you have any idea of your character RP wise? Or what you expect him to be doing in combat?

Orc_Lord
2019-01-28, 10:11 AM
The good news is that going deep into paladin or deep into warlock works. Essentially you can't mess this split up.

Like others have said what do you want to be doing? Why did you choose warlock? Why did you choose paladin?

Blood of Gaea
2019-01-28, 10:12 AM
As a general rule, you want 2, 3, 6, or 7 Paladin levels. The amount will change depending on a lot of things, like your Paladin subclass (Conquest and Ancients have amazing level 7 abilities), how high level your campaign will go (Warlock can get Foresight at 17th level), and a few other things.

This multiclass is pretty convenient in that you can pick up a second attack per action from either side of the multiclass, but it's never wasted as Warlock doesn't require it, so all of these breakpoints can be solid for you.

CheddarChampion
2019-01-28, 10:21 AM
Since you need 13 strength to multiclass in/out of paladin, heavy armor will be useful. To that end, start as a paladin so you're proficient.

You will probably want to get 5-7 levels in before taking a level of warlock. Alternatively, for RP take warlock at level 2 and continue as a paladin for a while before switching back.

Knowing which subclasses you want will help us help you. Do you have any in mind?

Palfatreos
2019-01-28, 10:37 AM
I would start with paladin first because it has more proficiency then the warlock but as long you got 2+ paladin / 2+ warlock you can't really mess it up.

P2/W18 A short rest supernova
P6/W14 acces to extra attack and has better saving trowns thanks to Aura of Protection
P12/W8 you get 5 ASI instead 4.Now you cant be frightened and your melee attack deal 1d8 radiant extra
P16/W4 another where you get 5 ASI acces you can end a spell that affect your or a party member with cleaning touch and still have acces to warlock pact of boon
P18/W2 Your auras ranges now cover 30 feet instead 10. Stil have acces to eldritch blast and agonising invocation to be able hurt those that aren't in your melee range.