PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help me build a Darkin character

supergoji18
2019-01-28, 10:44 AM
For those wondering what I am talking about. (https://leagueoflegends.fandom.com/wiki/Ascended/Darkin)
TL;DR - Darkin are fallen demigods who have an affinity for blood magic and are bound to their weapons.

Obviously I can't make a character that fits the bill exactly (that would be crazy OP), but the thematic is what I'm interested in. This will end up becoming either a future player character for myself or a recurring villainous NPC for my players to face off against.

I've narrowed down some of the elements, but need help deciding what would fit best.

Race: Either a Tiefling descendent of Zariel (+1 Strength and smite spells are a perfect fit) or a Fallen Aasimar (+1 Strength and transformation that gives fear and bonus necrotic damage are also a perfect fit). Maybe a winged Tiefling would fit as well.
Background: I'm thinking Acolyte (because they're demigods), Criminal (because they're evil), Gladiator, Knight, or Soldier (because they're warriors).
Alignment: Probably some form of Evil. The Darkin are very much a self-serving group of demons. They revel in carnage, but each one has a unique reason as to why they do so. That's where the argument between Lawful, Neutral, and Chaotic will come in.
Class: Here's where I'm stuck. I'm thinking of doing some sort of multiclass. Here are the combinations I've considered:
- Full Barbarian (zealot)
- Full Paladin (conquest)
- Barbarian (zealot)/Paladin (conquest)
- Paladin (conquest)/Warlock (fiend + blade pact or hexblade + blade pact)
Ability Scores: Lets just use standard array for now. If I make him an NPC I will likely use different ability scores, but I mostly want to figure out what to prioritize.
- Str: 15 + 1 = 16
- Dex: 12
- Con: 13
- Int: 8
- Wis: 10
- Cha: 14 + 2 = 16

Alternatively if I go with the barbarian route
- Str: 15 + 1 = 16
- Dex: 13
- Con: 14
- Int: 8
- Wis: 10
- Cha: 12 + 2 = 14

Skills: I'm mainly going to prioritize using Athletics to emphasize strength and Intimidation to signify his terrifying power.
Weapon of Choice: Likely either a great sword or a glaive.
ASI/Feats: Great Weapon Fighting is a priority due to the damage boost. I'm not sure other feats are necessary. If I'm using a glaive, then polearm master and sentinel are also likely priorities. Beyond that by ASIs would be used to increase Strength or Charisma.
Leveling Plan: By this I mean what class levels to take at each character levels. I'd prefer a plan for all the way up to level 20 (mostly incase I use him as a villain as he will likely be higher level than the party to remain a challenge). This is one that I haven't come up with yet.

So with that here's what I need help with:
- figuring how best to fit the theme of a dark demonic demigod of death and destruction
- What race would fit this motif best?
- What background?
- What class or multiclass?
- What ability scores to prioritize?
- What feats to utilize?
- How should I progress this character?

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-28, 06:05 PM
Fallen Aasimar seems like the perfect fit. As for class, I can't help but recommend the Hexblade.

Not only do you enchant your weapon using magic and bond with it in a way that uses your own will to fight, but the entire class condemns someone to use their soul as currency (healing you or turning their spirit into a slave when they die). It fits the bill pretty hard.

I'd just recommend grabbing one level into Shadow before you hit Warlock level 3, and a second level into Sorcerer before Warlock level 5. This way, you can consistently cast Shield, Absorb Elements, and Darkness at all times. As soon as you get your first ASI, grab Tough.

Lord8Ball
2019-01-28, 06:29 PM
Matt Mercer's homebrew class "Lingering soul" is fitting both in ability and flavor. Hopefully, you will find what you are looking for. Enjoy.

Ps. Check out the Poltergeist calling.

PPs. It is possible that if a player in your group is a hexblade warlock they can have you as the patron with your power growing as theirs does.

Here is the link:
https://img.fireden.net/tg/image/1511/28/1511285281092.pdf

supergoji18
2019-01-29, 10:01 AM
Fallen Aasimar seems like the perfect fit. As for class, I can't help but recommend the Hexblade.

Not only do you enchant your weapon using magic and bond with it in a way that uses your own will to fight, but the entire class condemns someone to use their soul as currency (healing you or turning their spirit into a slave when they die). It fits the bill pretty hard.

Sounds good, but my only concern with the hexblade is the limited use on the curse. That's why I was considering using Fiend Pact, the temporary hit points are both fitting and available to get constantly.

I'd just recommend grabbing one level into Shadow before you hit Warlock level 3, and a second level into Sorcerer before Warlock level 5. This way, you can consistently cast Shield, Absorb Elements, and Darkness at all times. As soon as you get your first ASI, grab Tough.

Could you explain how this works?

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-29, 01:43 PM
Sounds good, but my only concern with the hexblade is the limited use on the curse. That's why I was considering using Fiend Pact, the temporary hit points are both fitting and available to get constantly.

Could you explain how this works?

Sure!

Hexblade has access to Shield, but loses level 1 spell slots by level 3. This means that Shield, casting from Warlock Levels, ceases to be efficient past level 2.
Around this time, you want to invest into Sorcerer, who has access to both Shield and Absorb Elements. Now that you can still cast Shield for when you want to perform in melee combat, you can continue to level into Warlock, gaining level 2 slots. At this time, you gain Darkness as a level 2 spell slot.

When you hit Warlock level 5, those level 2 spell slots turn into level 3, which means you'll no longer be able to efficiently cast Darkness. You can get around this by dipping a couple more levels into Sorcerer (I made a typo stating level 2 before), which gives you Metamagic, Sorcerer level 2 spell slots, and even the ability to cast Darkness using Metamagic that you can see through. This basically clears up any need for the Devil's Sight invocation, and you can efficiently convert your Warlock spell slots into Sorcery points to efficiently cast Darkness with Sorcery Points to spare.

What you could do is convert a level 3 Warlock slot into Sorcery Points, gaining 3 points back, spending 2 on Darkness (which you can see through) and still having 1 left, either to be saved for later or to enhance the Darkness spell (either doubling the duration or giving it 30 more feet of range).

Shadow Sorcerer will also make you resist dying once per day.

supergoji18
2019-01-29, 01:52 PM
Sure!

Hexblade has access to Shield, but loses level 1 spell slots by level 3. This means that Shield, casting from Warlock Levels, ceases to be efficient past level 2.
Around this time, you want to invest into Sorcerer, who has access to both Shield and Absorb Elements. Now that you can still cast Shield for when you want to perform in melee combat, you can continue to level into Warlock, gaining level 2 slots. At this time, you gain Darkness as a level 2 spell slot.

When you hit Warlock level 5, those level 2 spell slots turn into level 3, which means you'll no longer be able to efficiently cast Darkness. You can get around this by dipping a couple more levels into Sorcerer (I made a typo stating level 2 before), which gives you Metamagic, Sorcerer level 2 spell slots, and even the ability to cast Darkness using Metamagic that you can see through. This basically clears up any need for the Devil's Sight invocation, and you can efficiently convert your Warlock spell slots into Sorcery points to efficiently cast Darkness with Sorcery Points to spare.

What you could do is convert a level 3 Warlock slot into Sorcery Points, gaining 3 points back, spending 2 on Darkness (which you can see through) and still having 1 left, either to be saved for later or to enhance the Darkness spell (either doubling the duration or giving it 30 more feet of range).

Shadow Sorcerer will also make you resist dying once per day.
This sounds really good! I will definitely consider this!