PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Making Jacque Clouseau

sithlordnergal
2019-01-28, 02:16 PM
So, after having read over the new Detective background from Rats of Waterdeep, I've decided to make a new character based off the original Jacque Clouseau, from the old Pink Panther films. It has been a while since I last watched the films, but I'd say Clouseau had low Wisdom, but high Intelligence and decent Charisma. He may have been a bumbling fool, but he was smart enough to see how the different pieces of a mystery connected, even when others couldn't see it. And he was charismatic enough to get most people to listen to him. And of course he had luck on his side.

Now, I figure I'll be a Halfling due to their Lucky racial ability, and eventually I'll take the Lucky feat. I do plan on multiclassing between Rogue and either Wizard or Sorcerer. That said, I'm not sure which subclass to choose for Rogue, and I'm not sure if I should go Divination Wizard or Wild Magic Sorcerer.

For Rogues, I'm torn between the Inquisitive and Mastermind subclasses. Both feel like they'd do well for a Detective, but I'm not sure which to choose.

As for the full casting side, both Divination and Wild Magic involve luck in some way. Wild Magic sort of shows how things tend to become very...chaotic when Clouseau is around. While Divination would give me some control over the dice, is a bit more helpful while still fitting the theme.

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-28, 02:25 PM
Is the intent of this character to annoy the hell out of your other party members? I ask because Clouseau was lethal to be around if you weren't he.

Kurt Kurageous
2019-01-28, 02:37 PM
Divination wizard all the way, lucky feat, halfling luck, too.

Must have disguise.

MilkmanDanimal
2019-01-28, 02:38 PM
Is the intent of this character to annoy the hell out of your other party members? I ask because Clouseau was lethal to be around if you weren't he.

Low WIS for being a clueless twit, high INT because he can figure it out if he thinks through it. At least some Rogue so he has expertise in Investigation, but a crap Perception seems appropriate.

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-28, 02:45 PM
Low WIS for being a clueless twit, high INT because he can figure it out if he thinks through it. At least some Rogue so he has expertise in Investigation, but a crap Perception seems appropriate. Yeah, and the Halfling Lucky thing fits like a glove.

Misterwhisper
2019-01-28, 02:47 PM
Ask if you can take lucky more than once.