PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Feat - Choke-Hold / PEACH

Krobar
2019-01-28, 06:04 PM
I've got a fighter in my game that has leaned heavily on unarmed combat & gauntlets as improvised weapons.

He's a Variant Human, and his first level feat was Tavern Brawler. He took the two-weapon fighting style. At 3rd level, he took the Brute archetype. At 4th level, he took the feat Brawny.

The player asked me to figure out a way he could choke people out, ala BJJ, so this is what I came up with. Let me know what you think? Thanks.

Choke-Hold (new feat):

Prerequisite: Strength 13 or higher

You are a master of choking others into unconsciousness, and gain the following benefits:

You can use your Attack action to try to initiate a choke-hold on a living humanoid creature you've grappled. If you have multiple attacks as part of your Attack action, this attack replaces one of them. To choke your opponent make an Athletics (Strength) check against your opponent's Athletics (Strength) or Acrobatics (Dexterity). Your opponent chooses which skill he is going to use. If you succeed, you begin choking him.

The choke applied is a blood-choke, not an air choke, so your target will not suffocate due to a lack of air, and will not take any hit point damage, but will quickly be rendered unconscious due to a lack of blood going to his brain. He can remain conscious for a number of rounds equal to his Constitution modifier (minimum of 1 round) during which time he can attempt to break the choke-hold. All of the things that can break a grapple can also break a choke-hold. At the start of his next turn, he is rendered unconscious, and his body goes completely limp. If at this point you release the choke-hold, he will remain unconscious for (10 - Constitution Bonus) rounds. If you keep choking him after rendering him unconscious he will suffer brain damage, permanently losing 1 point of Intelligence per round. When his Intelligence score reaches 0, he dies.

There are many different choke-holds that all do the same thing, albeit from different grappling positions, such as the Anaconda Choke, the Triangle Choke, the D'arce Choke, the Ezekiel Choke, the Guillotine Choke, the Gogoplata, the North-South Choke, the Rear Naked Choke, and more.

Zhorn
2019-01-28, 10:39 PM
As a ruling for a system of chocking, it seems perfectly workable, though I don't think this should require a feat to do.

Krobar
2019-01-31, 01:18 PM
After talking to my player, he does in fact WANT this to be a feat, to reflect the time and training it takes to sink in any number of different choke holds from any number of different positions. He doesn't want every generic character out there to be able to do this.

I can see that.

So we're making it a feat, and tweaked it just a little bit. Here is the new text:

CHOKE HOLD (feat):

Prerequisite: Strength 13

You are a master of choking your opponents into unconsciousness. You gain the following ability:

You can use your Attack action to try to initiate a choke hold on a living humanoid creature that is no more than one size larger than you. If you have multiple attacks as part of your Attack action, this attack replaces one of them. You have advantage if you already have your opponent grappled.

To choke your opponent make an Athletics (Strength) check contested by your opponent's Athletics (Strength) or Acrobatics (Dexterity). Your opponent chooses which skill he is going to use. If you succeed, you begin choking him. Once you have your opponent in the choke hold his speed becomes 0, he has disadvantage on both attacks and skill checks to break the hold, and other combatants can make melee attacks against him with advantage. YOU ARE UNABLE TO MAKE OTHER ATTACKS AGAINST YOUR OPPONENT WHILE YOU ARE CHOKING HIM!

When you choke an opponent you do no hit point damage, but he will quickly be rendered unconscious due to a lack of blood flow to his brain. He can remain conscious for a number of rounds equal to his Constitution modifier (minimum of 1 round) during which time he can attempt to break the hold. Your opponent can break the choke hold by making an Athletics (Strength) or Acrobatics (Dexterity) check, with disadvantage, contested by your Athletics (Strength) check. If he fails to break the hold, at the start of his next turn he is rendered unconscious and his body goes completely limp. If at this point you release the choke hold, he will remain unconscious for (10 - his Constitution Bonus) rounds. If you keep choking him after rendering him unconscious he will suffer brain damage, permanently losing 1 point of Intelligence per round. When his Intelligence score reaches 0 he will die.

There are many different choke-holds that all do the same thing, albeit from different grappling positions, such as the Anaconda Choke, the Triangle Choke, the D'arce Choke, the Ezekiel Choke, the Guillotine Choke, the Gogoplata, the North-South Choke, the Rear Naked Choke, and many more.