PDA

View Full Version : Thaumaturgy & Control FLames = pocket spotlight?

BoxANT
2019-01-28, 06:54 PM
Had an idea about combining the functionality of these two cantrips, in regards to boosting ones bulls-eye lantern lumen output.

The crux is in how one rules the effect of Thaumaturgy "you cause flames to flicker, brighten, dim, or change color for 1 minute." How I have seen it played is that you do not increase the area of light, but instead change the dim light area to bright light. For example, a torch (normally 20 bright - 20 dim) would instead produce 40 ft. of bright light (no dim).

When you combine this with Control Flames "double or halve the area of bright light and dim light cast by the flame" and slap it on a bulls-eye lantern, you end up with 240 ft. of bright light.

1. Would this be how you would rule Thaumaturgy works on a lantern? If not, what does it do by "brighten".

2. Can you combine these two effects on one light source?

3. Is having 240 ft. spotlights OP? (120 ft. hooded lanterns?)

DarkKnightJin
2019-01-29, 01:16 AM
I don't really see any issue with allowing this.

Not sure what the party could try to use it for creatively, besides making a high-powered spotlight.
Sure, it'd help them find stuff in the dark, but they'll be found much more easily, as well.

Anonymouswizard
2019-01-29, 06:39 AM
Well I think I'm stealing this for my next setting,a combination used by the Theatre Priests of the god of art.

There's certainly going to be a few challenges it makes impossible, but as has been said it also makes the party more noticeable, so it fits have a built in drawback.

BoxANT
2019-01-29, 03:26 PM
Thanks for input.

As for uses, you can have three of them up and running at one time, so i would think it would be useful for:

- searching at night
- spotting flying creatures
- battlefield, spotting enemy advances
- base camp patrolling
- theatrics (monologue)?
- signaling ships (morse code?)