PDA

View Full Version : Tracing An Object’s History

Palanan
2019-01-28, 09:24 PM
Apart from the Object Reading spell in Pathfinder, and the related psychometry skill unlock, are there any other ways to determine the history, origin, route, etc. of an object?

I vaguely recall there’s a spell that lets you learn the hands a single coin has passed through, but I can’t remember if that’s 3.5, PF or third party. I’m interested primarily in first-party Pathfinder options, but I’m open to 3.5 material as well.

DrMotives
2019-01-28, 10:15 PM
I think Sifters have an ability to put their hand through a pile of ashes and tell you the history of the object that the ashes used to be. I'm not certain exactly where the Sifter PrC was printed at, but they are a Planescape faction. Guys obsessed with entropy, basically.

Mike Miller
2019-01-28, 11:52 PM
Without rereading the spells, I feel like Legend Lore from 3.5 is your best bet, but there are other divinations. Possibly Analyze Dweomer or lower level, Divination?

Ozzie831
2019-01-29, 12:57 AM
There is the Gloves of Object Reading which are official 3.5.

"While wearing the gloves, the user can learn the details of an inanimate object’s previous owner if he handles the object, as if manifesting the object reading power."

Its basically just the spell Object reading but in a pair of gloves haha.

Zaq
2019-01-29, 01:09 AM

"While wearing the gloves, the user can learn the details of an inanimate object’s previous owner if he handles the object, as if manifesting the object reading power."

Its basically just the spell Object reading but in a pair of gloves haha.

This is what I was going to suggest. Object reading also happens to be a power. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/objectReading.htm)

Unavenger
2019-01-29, 05:10 AM
A knowledge (History) check, DC 30, allows you to answer the toughest questions about history that don't pertain to a monster. With a +29 or greater bonus, you can learn anything you put your mind to about the object. YMMV by DM, though, as this almost certainly isn't RAI.

BowStreetRunner
2019-01-29, 09:35 AM
I vaguely recall there’s a spell that lets you learn the hands a single coin has passed through, but I can’t remember if that’s 3.5, PF or third party.The only spell I can think of that is even remotely similar would be Gilded Whispers (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/gilded-whispers/). However, that turns a coin into a scrying sensor, so would allow you to trace the hands a coin passes through after you cast the spell, but would not allow you to glean where it had been before.

Stoic
2019-01-29, 10:37 AM
The only spell I could find that does what the OP wants is 3rd party Pathfinder unfortunately.

Touch of History

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/3rd-party-spells/paizo-fans-united-3rd-party-spells/touch-of-history/

Palanan
2019-01-29, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Ozzie831

Originally Posted by Zaq
Object reading also happens to be a power.

Originally Posted by Stoic
Touch of History

Thanks, everyone, all very helpful.

Originally Posted by BowStreetRunner
The only spell I can think of that is even remotely similar would be Gilded Whispers. However, that turns a coin into a scrying sensor, so would allow you to trace the hands a coin passes through after you cast the spell, but would not allow you to glean where it had been before.

Okay, thanks. This sounds familiar, so I may have been misremembering this one.