PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Is this Overhaul for the Scout overpowered?

GrayDeath
2019-01-29, 10:09 AM
So, as some of you might remember, soon I am going to start a 2 person campaign (with me playing my own Overhaul of the Paladin (See the Homebrew Section, on general elemental Resistance, some Attribute Bonuses to reduce MAD Problems, different Spellcasting (up to L4 or mixed with small time Initiating) and clearer Code), and the other Player going for Scout).

Both the DM and I came to the conclusion that the basic scout, even if the player itself thinks it enough, will be too underpowered in a Group with my paladin, so I came up with the following modifications:

Full Bab
Rangers Favoured Enemy, starting Level 4, ending Level 20 at 5
Initiator with maneuver progression starting at 4/2/1, ending at 15/8/5 (known,readied, Stances). Available Schools: Elemental Flux, Shadow hand, Solar Wind.
Also the Skill List will be updated to Pathfinder, as its mostly what we are going to use (not exclusively, see schools).,

This Overhaul and should make it roughly equal to my Paladins CC and Durability Prowess in its areas, no?

I would appreciate the reveal of obvious oversights or differing Ideas.

BowStreetRunner
2019-01-29, 10:29 AM
Full BAB should work fine in this instance. I've played a multi-class swift hunter (ranger/scout) with 19/20 BAB full attacking with skirmish damage and it wasn't overpowered compared to other optimized builds.

8 + Int Mod is already what a scout receives, not sure why you mentioned this. (Note that my biggest complaint about scout skills has always been that scout doesn't get Gather Information - something that actual military scouts needed to use to talk to the local populace to find out information. Even with PF skills this falls under Diplomacy which isn't on a Scout's list. Otherwise, I was always happy with the scout's skills.)

Favored enemy is another thing that the swift hunter does, and it wasn't too OP by any means. DMs always have the option of throwing things at you that are not FE if they feel the need. (Note that swift hunter builds also get the benefit that skirmish damage applies to FEs even if they are normally immune.)

Not sure how to evaluate the martial adept progression. I've played a multi-class ranger warblade that might be similar, but never with the scout class included and never using ranged disciplines like Solar Wind. That having been said, I think most martial classes would be better off with a little blade magic.

The skill list update should work out just fine. This only equates to a few less skills the scout will have to neglect, and most skill uses aren't going to break the game - particularly since full caster classes often have spells that allow them to completely ignore the need for skill rolls anyway.

So altogether my impression is that this will work very similar to my Swift Hunter build with my only area of uncertainty being how the martial maneuvers will fit in. I don't think this is really going to be overpowered even then.

GrayDeath
2019-01-29, 10:33 AM
Write it up to me still suffering from lightheadedness and fever. I somehow remembered the Scout as getting 6+Int :P

Thanks for the feedback.