PDA

View Full Version : Making a super optimized character for solo play

Dankus Memakus
2019-01-29, 01:02 PM
So, i really wanna make a extremely optimized character because i have an app where i can run randomly generated dungeons all by myself. So i really need a build that can hold its own by itself. My three thoughts have been
1. Moon druid
2. Forge cleric 1/diviner 2/ cleric X (for that sweet AC with blessing of the forge, shield, shield of faith and then divine portent)
3. Straight fighter

Honestly, im garbage at optimizing so i could probably use some help here. My only requirement for this character is he is one of the four subraces of dwarf, that is including the ebberon dwarf. So i could use some assistance please help!

Edit: im not sure if druid will be any fun because i will just constantly have to page through books but that is my only concern

Palfatreos
2019-01-29, 01:10 PM
Dunno what the best is but my personal favorite is 6 paladin/2 hex warlock/rest sorcerer.

paladin for heavy armor/shield and +cha modifier on saves also has bit of healing capability.
hexblade warlock to make the build SAD and cha your most important stat.
sorcerer for more spell slots and quickining/twinning spells.

Edit: what the app? o.O

Dankus Memakus
2019-01-29, 01:14 PM
Dunno what the best is but my personal favorite is 6 paladin/2 hex warlock/rest sorcerer.

paladin for heavy armor/shield and +cha modifier on saves also has bit of healing capability.
hexblade warlock to make the build SAD and cha your most important stat.
sorcerer for more spell slots and quickining/twinning spells.

Edit: what the app? o.O

Its called random dungeon generator for d&d and pathfinder. Its by whatentar software. I think its 2.99 but be warned you still need a monster manual because copyright issues and you roll against yourself but it creates a random dungeon with traps, monsters and loot. I love it

Edit: im not sure of its on ios or not but its on the play store

nickl_2000
2019-01-29, 01:19 PM
Moon Druid would be an excellent choice here, it gives so much crazy utility. However, it is a bookkeeping nightmare.

A Paladin X - 2 gives smites and fighting style. 6 or 7 gives auras. Conquest would be pretty nasty in this/
Hexblade X - 1 gives you Cha to attack, 2 gives you invocations, 3 gives you Tome for great utility and darkvision to 120 feet.
[Bard or Sorcerer] X - Bard is more social, sorcerer allows you to twin booming blade if you only have one attack and ups you blasting from a distance.

Alternately you can go
Tabaxi or Wood Elf Gloom Stalker 3/ Assassin X and boost the heck out of your Dex and Stealth skills. You will never been seen by anyone in the dark dungeon and you can nova with the assassin much more than what you would be able to do in a party. Take the mobile skill to be able to run away from combat and dash with all your bonus action to get the heck away from all enemies so you aren't stuck in combat. You could also take Magic Initiate for control flame to make it easier to hide when you need to.

Palfatreos
2019-01-29, 01:29 PM
oh also you only need 13 str (paladin muliclass requirement) since dwarf dont get the movement penalty when they don't meet the str requirement in armor? Not sure about that never played a dwarf :P.

Dankus Memakus
2019-01-29, 01:32 PM
oh also you only need 13 str (paladin muliclass requirement) since dwarf dont get the movement penalty when they don't meet the str requirement in armor? Not sure about that never played a dwarf :P.

You are correct! Part of the reason why they are awesome!

Vogie
2019-01-29, 01:39 PM
What level are you starting at?

Paladins need both 13 STR and 13 CHA to multiclass.

Dankus Memakus
2019-01-29, 01:41 PM
What level are you starting at?

Paladins need both 13 STR and 13 CHA to multiclass.

I think palfatreos was saying to use CHA as my main stat :)

Edit: i think ill start at 1 but its possible ill start at 3. I can run CR 1/4 dungeons and have it nice and balanced for a level one character

Blood of Gaea
2019-01-29, 01:43 PM
A Sheperd Druid for the tasty summoning would likely go very well.

Dankus Memakus
2019-01-29, 02:05 PM
A Sheperd Druid for the tasty summoning would likely go very well.

Ive literally never played a summoner. It may be interesting

Azgeroth
2019-01-29, 03:30 PM
Mountain Dwarf, rogue / ranger

17 15+2
14 14
14 12+2
10 10
13 13
8 8

First level rogue, for all skill proficiencies, thieves tools, stealth movement speed, and expertise in stealth + perception.

Then ranger to 5, fighting style, martial weapon proficiency, extra attack, and some spells! id take gloomstalker for a ranged approach, or horizon walker for melee.

and then, 1 or 2 levels of rogue, depending on how much you want to push back your spell progression in favour of rogue features.

you could also, if doing horizonwalker, just take 2 levels or barbarian instead of rogue. and swap crossbow expert for GWM

beyond that is up to you!

CTurbo
2019-01-30, 07:56 AM
This sounds like it's just combat. Will there be any exploration and social play too? How do rests work? Is it one fight then long rest every time?

Vogie
2019-01-30, 09:25 AM
I'd suggest having the noble background, then using either the sidekick rules, or MonarchsFactory's rules on having a Squire, to have an NPC that fights alongside you and levels up in a minor but useful ways.

SkipSandwich
2019-01-30, 05:05 PM
For a solo campaign I would want as many of the following as I could manage:

High AC
High HP
Anti-Trap (Barb, Rogue or Monk levels, in decending order of preference)
Good Con and Wis saves (Most of the worst Save or Suck effects are Con or Wis)
Efficient Healing (Bonus Action in-combat and/or powerful out-of-combat)

My go-to build would be;
Barb2>Rogue(Thief)3>Barb5>Fighter12

Second Wind and Fast Hands (via potions) give bonus action healing, Barb2 gives advantage on dex saves. And Action Surge + Rage gives you a nova option for the really tough fights.
Bonus Points for being Conan

You could also go;
Monk(Tranquility)5>Cleric(Life)8>Monk12

Even without Goodberry shenanigans between Life Cleric and Path of Tranquility you have all the self healing you could want. At-will Sanctuary gives you a decent shot of peacing past smaller encounters without needing to fight at all, and the 11th level ability lets you touch an unharmed creature to force them to become passive for 1 min.
When you do end up fighting then flurry of blows + divine strike gives you pretty decent melee capabilities.

If you want to try to stealth through dungeons then try;

Rogue1>Monk(Shadow)6>Rogue(Assassin)14

Shadow step lets you teleport behind enemies to attack with Advantage, and is one of the most reliable and safe ways of gaining advantage as a solo rogue. Its also a great tool for disengaging when in over your head. You could also go for Monk11 for invisibility while in shadow but it comes at the cost of 3d6 sneak attack dice. Going Thief instead of assassin for supreme sneak gives you a similar capability at the cost of your 1st turn critical hit instead.

Dankus Memakus
2019-01-30, 08:18 PM
This sounds like it's just combat. Will there be any exploration and social play too? How do rests work? Is it one fight then long rest every time?

Its a whole dungeon then a rest, short rests in any cleared room