PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Becoming a Rod of Excellent Magic (Double check my work please)

RoboEmperor
2019-01-29, 05:20 PM
1. Create an Intelligent Rod of Excellent Magic
2. Cast Greater Humanoid Essence on it
3. Use Astral Seed + Mind Switch combo to permanently switch bodies.

And done!

Problem:I can't move so I need Still Spell to cast any spell. I can speak though.

Possible Solution
Use this rule

You can add new magical abilities to a magic item with virtually no restrictions. The cost and prerequisites to do this are the same as if the item was not magical.
It’s recommended that you add new magical abilities only to items that occupy the same body slot as the added effect would normally occupy.
In most cases, if the item is one that occupies a body slot, the cost of adding any additional ability to that item is 1-1/2 times the value of the added power
Rods are magic items that don't take up a body slot, so I can merge as many of them as I damn well please with no restrictions or added cost. SO
1. Create a Golem that can Speak like the Hellfire Golem. Golems are magic items.
2. Add a Rod of Excellent Magic to the Golem via MiC's improving magic item rules
3. Cast Greater Humanoid Essence on it
4. Use Astral Seed + Mind Switch combo to permanently switch bodies.

Alternatively add ___ amount of Greater Metamagic Rods of Silent to the Golem's body to use a Golem that can't speak, like a Shadesteel Golem.

And Done! I am now a Golem Spellcaster who can cast Gate for free 1/day.

Did I make a mistake anywhere?

noob
2019-01-29, 06:28 PM
Could you just have used animate object on an intelligent rod of excellent magic(that was dispelled before you plane shifted) while being on a timeless magic plane then used mind jar on that rod?
The intelligent part is absolutely needed or else there is no rule that supports the ability of an item to use itself apart from intelligent item rules.(even then there might be restrictions)

Troacctid
2019-01-29, 06:30 PM
1. Create an Intelligent Rod of Excellent Magic
2. Cast Greater Humanoid Essence on it
3. Use Astral Seed + Mind Switch combo to permanently switch bodies.

And done!
The intelligent item rules don't provide any provisions for actually crafting intelligent items, or for how many hit dice they count as having. So you'd have to figure that out.

Rods are magic items that don't take up a body slot, so I can merge as many of them as I damn well please with no restrictions or added cost. SO
1. Create a Golem that can Speak like the Hellfire Golem. Golems are magic items.
2. Add a Rod of Excellent Magic to the Golem via MiC's improving magic item rules
Incorporating magic items into a golem is outside the scope of MIC's rules. Expect table variation.

A much simpler solution would be to take the Artifact Lord epic destiny and use its built-in feature to transfer your soul into a magic item.

noob
2019-01-29, 06:33 PM
The intelligent item rules don't provide any provisions for actually crafting intelligent items, or for how many hit dice they count as having. So you'd have to figure that out.

Incorporating magic items into a golem is outside the scope of MIC's rules. Expect table variation.

A much simpler solution would be to take the Artifact Lord epic destiny and use its built-in feature to transfer your soul into a magic item.

there is a simple way to make an intelligent item: there is a spell made by nybhor(or something like that) in the web wotc additional content that does a copy of your mind into a gem that when used in the construction of a magic item makes of it an intelligent magic item.

RoboEmperor
2019-01-29, 06:48 PM
Could you just have used animate object on an intelligent rod of excellent magic(that was dispelled before you plane shifted) while being on a timeless magic plane then used mind jar on that rod?
The intelligent part is absolutely needed or else there is no rule that supports the ability of an item to use itself apart from intelligent item rules.(even then there might be restrictions)

Don't fully understand what you're saying, but Animated Objects even permanencied can be dispelled. I don't want a dispel magic to become a SoD and I don't want to die the moment I enter a dead magic zone. Magic jar (which I assume is what you're talking about) is also not permanent and can be dispelled which will result in my death.

You just need to possess an item to use it. If your body is the item then of course you possess it. Although rods are use-activated, these rods are activated with a mental thought not any physical action like putting on a hat.

It gives a price modifier so I think it's obvious you can make any magic item sentient by increasing the price by an appropriate amount. Intelligent Items have no hit die, they just have a flat hp like a normal item. They're normal items who have mental scores and therefore are considered creatures.

In any case I am using Wish to craft things so this isn't an issue for me.

What is this? From google seems like a 4e thing.

edit: Found it. Seems like a deleted article? Gonna be tough to even suggest it to my DM. Also this happens in high epic, trying to do this low epic or pre-epic if possible.

Troacctid
2019-01-29, 07:11 PM
It gives a price modifier so I think it's obvious you can make any magic item sentient by increasing the price by an appropriate amount. Intelligent Items have no hit die, they just have a flat hp like a normal item. They're normal items who have mental scores and therefore are considered creatures.
They have to have hit dice in order to mind switch them. It only works on creatures that have fewer hit dice than you; if their hit dice is "N/A" then they don't meet that condition. And you can't just say they have 0 hit dice, either, because that would result in them instantly dying.

What is this? From google seems like a 4e thing.

edit: Found it. Seems like a deleted article? Gonna be tough to even suggest it to my DM. Also this happens in high epic, trying to do this low epic or pre-epic if possible.
It wasn't deleted, it just broke when the website was updated. It's from Dragon Magazine shortly after it switched to online.

RoboEmperor
2019-01-29, 07:21 PM
They have to have hit dice in order to mind switch them. It only works on creatures that have fewer hit dice than you; if their hit dice is "N/A" then they don't meet that condition. And you can't just say they have 0 hit dice, either, because that would result in them instantly dying.

They do have 0 hit dice though.

These sturdy items have AC 9, 10 hit points, hardness 10, and a break DC of 27.

Intelligent Items add mental scores and are treated as constructs but unlike golems it doesn't add any hit die to the item. You wouldn't say a mundane longsword has any hit die right?

Your argument about N/A hit die is a valid argument I guess. More reason to stick with the golem plan.

It wasn't deleted, it just broke when the website was updated. It's from Dragon Magazine shortly after it switched to online.

I'll consider it in a game where dragon magazine is allowed and the game goes over level 27.

Troacctid
2019-01-29, 07:34 PM
They do have 0 hit dice though.

Intelligent Items add mental scores and are treated as constructs but unlike golems it doesn't add any hit die to the item. You wouldn't say a mundane longsword has any hit die right?
A creature with 0 hit dice has at least as many negative levels as it does hit dice and is therefore instantly slain.

RoboEmperor
2019-01-29, 07:41 PM
A creature with 0 hit dice has at least as many negative levels as it does hit dice and is therefore instantly slain.

I meant to say N/A hit die. Intelligent Items are exceptions to the general rule which is why they are the only creatures that exist with N/A hit die.

RoboEmperor
2019-01-30, 06:16 PM
Alrighty, if there's no further objections, i will dub this trick as legal and proceed to modify my endgame plan to include this.

I'm so glad Wish can make the power stones. DM can't win. Either they're non-magical in which case the 25,000gp nonmagical item creation part of wish covers it, or they're magical in which case the magic item creation part of wish covers it.

noob
2019-01-30, 06:32 PM
Alrighty, if there's no further objections, i will dub this trick as legal and proceed to modify my endgame plan to include this.

I'm so glad Wish can make the power stones. DM can't win. Either they're non-magical in which case the 25,000gp nonmagical item creation part of wish covers it, or they're magical in which case the magic item creation part of wish covers it.

no it is 15000 gp for non magical item

RoboEmperor
2019-01-30, 06:38 PM
no it is 15000 gp for non magical item
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wish.htm

Create a nonmagical item of up to 25,000 gp in value.

noob
2019-01-31, 06:20 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wish.htm

I believe it was different some time ago.
I should get a physical 3.5 player manual.