PDA

View Full Version : Lich like or Lich henchman bad guy?

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-01-29, 10:53 PM
I'm in a pinch DMing a module where the Level 7 & 8 party is driving towards an encounter with a Lich and two or three Efreeti.

This seems like a certain TPK. If I could find a suitable stand who would be between the Efreeti and the Lich in the chain of command it would tie in with one of the future adventures they could take.

I've thought of a DemiLich and Deathlock Wight. Who else on the badguy list should I be thinking about?

Rukelnikov
2019-01-30, 12:42 AM
Devourer maybe? Its a fearsome enemy, and an encounter that can easily get out of hand, since the more he kills the more powerful his abilities become. Used to be undead, and thus fitting, now it kept the undead look, skills, and fluff, but its a fiend instead ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Any other undead of CR around 14 should work to act as the Lichs "second in command",

Son of A Lich!
2019-01-30, 01:29 AM
Do you want a Lich Stand-IN or a Lich's second in command beneath the Efreeti?

Like, a Mummy with levels in wizard to "Count as" a Lich or Warlock who has sworn himself to the Lich's undying rule of Law?

Also, classes and significant magic items can help out a lot in this instance (Especially with Undead, Outsiders and Fey). Barbarian isn't going to do a lot to a Shadow without magic items, for example.

MilkmanDanimal
2019-01-30, 11:01 AM
An Undying pact Warlock makes sense as an intermediate mini-boss. That pact is basically lich-in-training anyways.

Corpsecandle717
2019-01-30, 11:47 AM
Mummy Lord could be good; kinda the divine alternative to a lich. Scenario: A priest to a god of undeath has dedicated his services to the lich as the lich is furthering that god's plans, even though the lich may or may not be a worshiper of said god.

MrStabby
2019-01-30, 12:27 PM
Maybe boost one of the Efreeti with some "class levels" - not explicitly levels but extra abilities.

You have one of the henchmen then that the party can meet, at the later levels there is one fewer of them so it can keep the later encounter balanced as well.

Bump the AC up to 18, add another 30 HP, +2 to the DC of checks and saves and attacks, +1 to int, wis and cha saves, maybe a magic item on top - even a simple +1 scimitar could help. Give them a once per day fireball in their spellcasting as well. Have the Efreet have summoned a fire elemental already and have them ambush the party. Surprised condition (even if just a small part of the party) + the other boosts should still make for a pretty tough fight.

Sigreid
2019-01-30, 12:31 PM
A wight with his entourage of animated dead would be fitting.