PDA

View Full Version : Help with Warlock of Ashardalon

Tokuhara
2019-01-30, 07:12 AM
So I had a concept pop into my head of a Red Dragonborn Fiend Warlock whose patron is Ashardalon (for those not in the know, Ashardalon was an Ancient Half-Fiend Red Dragon that was near demigod in power), and theming myself off a semi-draconic theme. So my question is what spells from Warlock would play into that Red Dragon theme, and not specifically Fire damage? I want to very much "embody" a red dragon's aspects with that fiendish taint.

Asmotherion
2019-01-30, 07:53 AM
Armor of Agathys can manifest as an Aura Dragon around you.

Eldritch Blast can be your Breath Weapon.

Hex is generally viewed as "dark magic".

Depending on your pact you can have your pact choice reflect your patron (A pseudodragon with a taste for humanoid blood/a tome bound in dragonhide and written with crimson letters or a weapon made off dragon bone.)

Then think outside of the box. What are dragons known for? Breath weapons? include an AoE of Choice. Flying? include spell that allows you fly speed and refluff this as "ethereal dragon wings come out of my back". Great at Grapling? include a Control Spell and refluff it as a dragon tail (or several dragon spirits... erhem hunger of hadar erhem).

Tokuhara
2019-01-30, 08:05 AM
I wasn't sure what pact I'd aim for. More spell-wise, you make many excellent points. I also wanted to play off the personality of Red Dragons as well as the physical aspects (Tyranny, Avarice, Wrath, Superiority) whilst giving that fiendish aspect (Ashardalon has a Balor bound as a heart, and was himself half-fiend, so that fiendish aspect still appliesl

Rukelnikov
2019-01-30, 11:22 AM
I wasn't sure what pact I'd aim for. More spell-wise, you make many excellent points. I also wanted to play off the personality of Red Dragons as well as the physical aspects (Tyranny, Avarice, Wrath, Superiority) whilst giving that fiendish aspect (Ashardalon has a Balor bound as a heart, and was himself half-fiend, so that fiendish aspect still appliesl

Fiend is definitely the pact to go, Dark One's Blessing falls perfectly in line with eating souls like Ashardalon did, and it has Command for the tyranny, a bunch of fire based spells, and Hallow, which is great for establishing a lair.

I'd recommend getting the beguiling influence Invocation, fits perfectly for both sides of the build (Dragon and Fiend)

Oh, and also you may wanna have the flaw "Fear of Druids" or maybe "Hatred of Druids"

Tokuhara
2019-01-30, 11:50 AM
I planned on grabbing that one around 5, purely because Devil's Sight/Agonizing Blast is too useful. As for the flaw, the character less undertook the pact willingly and more "my home is in cinders, the people I love are dying, I'm about to die, and some entity offered me power for a price" type of pact. And seeing as Ashardalon would be quite...clever...I'd imagine subtle sway would be more effective. However, the idea is that his overwhelming presence and my tie to him is slowly twisting my actions, making me not so much Evil as he was, but more akin to a Red Dragon outside its normal alignment sphere: still a vicious and wrathful tyrant by nature, but perhaps doing so from a more parental view (these others near me are weak, and I should tell them what's best sp they don't get horrifically murdered)

Mercurias
2019-01-30, 06:39 PM
I would lean hard into that Red Dragon personality and be a bold, power-hungry flavor of Warlock devoid of stealth or subtlety. I'd split my spell choices between situational offense spells like Fireball/Synaptic Static and control spells like Fear, Command, and Hold Monster.

I'd definitely rock the Friends Cantrip, and I'd also use Minor Illusion to make people see you as more draconic when you're trying to look intimidating, with the suggesting of wings or draconic fangs they see for just an instant while you speak. Other fun spell choices would be Dream (to send people nightmares along with reminders that you are to be obeyed), Wall of Fire (for control AND damage), and Fly.

I'd probably choose Pact of the Tome or Chain. I love the concept of a tiny Pseudodragon that compulsively tries to make a hoard of small coins and other shiny things when left to its own devices for too long.

It also might be really cool and flavorful if the verbal components of your spells are in draconic.