PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Making Invoke Duplicity look more real

YeBoi
2019-01-30, 10:25 AM
So I found great interest in Invoke Duplicity (or Conjure Duplicate) since it creates a perfect duplicate of you from which you can cast spells and it gives advantage. But I wondered if I could make the illusion even better.

So I currently had 2 ideas, one is going Kalashtar and using telepathy while hiding to make it look like the duplicate is talking (or using telepathy itself).

Else I had an idea by multiclassing in Warlock to get Voice of the Chain Master. So that I could have an invisible imp next to the illusion, and talk (and look) through the imp.

If there are any other ideas to do this, or other ways to make the illusion more real. Tell me.

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-30, 10:58 AM
So I found great interest in Invoke Duplicity (or Conjure Duplicate) since it creates a perfect duplicate of you from which you can cast spells and it gives advantage. But I wondered if I could make the illusion even better.

So I currently had 2 ideas, one is going Kalashtar and using telepathy while hiding to make it look like the duplicate is talking (or using telepathy itself).

Else I had an idea by multiclassing in Warlock to get Voice of the Chain Master. So that I could have an invisible imp next to the illusion, and talk (and look) through the imp.

If there are any other ideas to do this, or other ways to make the illusion more real. Tell me.

Minor Illusion is able to mimic entire speech, as shown through a moment in Out of the Abyss. Not only that, but since you can cast spells using the location of your illusion, there is no problem regarding the limited range of Minor Illusion.

YeBoi
2019-01-30, 11:03 AM
Minor Illusion is able to mimic entire speech, as shown through a moment in Out of the Abyss. Not only that, but since you can cast spells using the location of your illusion, there is no problem regarding the limited range of Minor Illusion.

I saw a discussion about talking through minor illusion. It is possible, however it's limited range seems to make it hard to hide yourself (unless maybe invisibility, but casting spells during invisibility removes it). So how do you think it could be done?

Further I thought message might was a possible spell. 120 feet whisper.

YeBoi
2019-01-30, 11:05 AM
I saw a discussion about talking through minor illusion. It is possible, however it's limited range seems to make it hard to hide yourself (unless maybe invisibility, but casting spells during invisibility removes it). So how do you think it could be done?

Further I thought message might was a possible spell. 120 feet whisper.

Wait a second now I think about it. The spells can begin from the illusion, instead of yourself. Making the range not matter.

YeBoi
2019-01-30, 11:16 AM
Then an idea is an Oath of Treachery, Mark of Shadow Elf. Automatically getting Minor Illusion, and better stealth.

JackPhoenix
2019-01-30, 11:18 AM
Nothing says the illusion can't speak on its own.

YeBoi
2019-01-30, 11:41 AM
Nothing says the illusion can't speak on its own.

That doesn't seem intended, it does state you have to use your own senses to cast spells. So also verbal, so it probably can't speak just like it can't see or feel.

JackPhoenix
2019-01-30, 12:07 PM
That doesn't seem intended, it does state you have to use your own senses to cast spells. So also verbal, so it probably can't speak just like it can't see or feel.

It's "perfect" duplicate. If it couldn't speak, it wouldn't be perfect. Also, there are spells, like Command, that require you to speak as part of their effect. Considering you can cast spells through the duplicate, and the description says nothing about being unable to use those spells through it, it is more likely it can speak as required.

YeBoi
2019-01-30, 12:13 PM
It's "perfect" duplicate. If it couldn't speak, it wouldn't be perfect. Also, there are spells, like Command, that require you to speak as part of their effect. Considering you can cast spells through the duplicate, and the description says nothing about being unable to use those spells through it, it is more likely it can speak as required.

It sounds like it could be possible, but since it isn't stated this seems more like a Sage Advice question.

druid91
2019-01-30, 12:16 PM
It sounds like it could be possible, but since it isn't stated this seems more like a Sage Advice question.

Not really. Just make it up on your own. That was part of the appeal of 5e.

RSP
2019-01-31, 12:48 AM
Just going off the definition of “perfect” the illusion created should be able to do lots of things, including speaking; and probably shouldn’t even be discernible as an illusion. But this is where DMs come in and you’ll need to ask yours how they define “perfect.”