PDA

View Full Version : How to roleplay super high INT and WIS?

Particle_Man
2019-01-30, 01:08 PM
I had an idea for a squishy buffer (Druid 3/Wizard 3/Mystic Theurge 2/Arcane Hierophant 10/Mystic Theurge 2, grey elf, Pouring the 32 point buy into Int/Wis for Str 6 Dex 10 Con 6 Int 20 Wis 18 Chr 8 (I did say squishy) at level 1, increasing Int when possible, but making sure Wis is 19 by level 20). I am not thinking of optimizing too much here, and the feats would either be standard (Practiced Spellcaster (twice), Natural Spell) or thematic (Magic of the Land sounds cool). Neutral Good, helper type.

But how should I roleplay a character that is so incredibly intelligent and wise at the same time, when I the player am not (I mean, I like to think I am fairly smart, but my ego can only delude myself so far)? :smallsmile:

flappeercraft
2019-01-30, 01:28 PM
Well as for table gaming its just accumulating experience and thinking of scenarios beforehand to look like your character is just that smart and wise while you actually prepared for it beforehand.

For PbP its both but you can take your time to think on how to act, as much as you want. I as a rule of the thumb just go with I can prepare for int score -10 worth of minutes (minimum of 1) as far as planning goes beforehand before each post.

King of Nowhere
2019-01-30, 04:22 PM
by being a good caster.

In my personal experience, smart people arent't really all that different from other kind of people. they behave the same in most situations, and they have flaws and weaknesses and make mistakes about as much as everyone else.
they are, however, really good at dealing with the more complex stuff.

if that does not satisfy you, you may pick all kinds of "intellectual" hobbies. Put some ranks in knowledge (local) applied to some faraway place, quote obscure historical facts (that you, the player, are making up. have them be insignificant enough that they won't conflict with the canon history).
Or maybe be a reclusive, the kind that doesn't mingle with others because he doesn't see any point in small talk. An extremely logical person who sees any conversation as a pure exchange of information and is annoyed by small talk and common niceties.
those roles are a bit stereotypical, though you can always carve something original out of a stereotype with just a bit of personalization.

unseenmage
2019-01-31, 02:50 PM
Discuss with your group and GM firstly.

In my games I give characters the higher of Int or Wis rolls to get hints that they as sleep deprived, stressed, actual humans cannot think of for whatever reason.

I dont expect players to wield faux weapons and literally show me their moves so I also dont expect them to personally solve all in game mental tasks (riddles, remembering minutia, etc).

Characters have these statistics for a reason, so our table puts them to use.

Florian
2019-01-31, 03:32 PM
You don't necessary have to. Attributes are about capability, not necessarily utilizing it to the fullest. Just because you're an "idiot savant" that can understand the intricacies of arcane magic, doesn't mean that you're an all-round genius at the same time.

Duke of Urrel
2019-01-31, 03:40 PM
Personally, I think the hardest high mental ability score to play is high Charisma. You have high Intelligence and Wisdom. This doesn't mean you're witty; it means that you know a lot, you can quickly solve any problem, you're shrewd, and you're very attentive so that nothing gets past you. Just the awesomeness of knowing things and noticing details that other people miss – that is, the awesomeness of making skill checks – should be enough.

A character with high Intelligence, high Wisdom, and below-average Charisma reminds me of Benedict Cumberbatch playing Sherlock Holmes – a brilliant mind with a very annoying personality. Doctor Gregory House of the eponymous TV series, played by Hugh Laurie, also comes to mind.