PDA

View Full Version : 3.P - What's in a Mind?

unseenmage
2019-01-30, 03:30 PM
When a dragon or illithid or beholder casts Awaken X or Incarnate Construct or any other magic made sentience granting spell...
Do they create a human-like sentience generally described in those spells?

Imagine being a dragon and awakening your favorite draconic construct only to have it err as though it were only human. How disappointing.

I've been learning a lot lately about how humans think.
The challenges of programming that machine that won Jeopardy, octopoids and their scattered neurons, even how insect gives process data as though they were a single organism are all real world examples of non-human thought being radically different from our own processes.

So it occured to me to wonder on nonhuman spellcasters and Awaken type effects.

The subjects are usually friendly toward their creator and often know at least one of their creator's languages.
So this is kinda already covered in a way.

Custom spells are a thing. Perhaps adventurers looting a beholder lair find a custom Awaken scroll that grants an alien aberration mentality to the tree it's used on.

Thoughts playground?

jintoya
2019-01-30, 03:44 PM
Well, I would consider that in the D&D system, there are different types of magic.
Dragon magic being a good example, might play some part in this. And it speaking a language you also speak implies that you imprint upon it in some way when you cast the spell and create it... But at the end of the day if consider this a "ask the DM" thing, but I would rule it based entirely upon the thing you awaken.
I think if I awaken a raccoon... It still gets into my garbage, if I awaken a tree, it's likely afraid of fire and saws.

ExLibrisMortis
2019-01-30, 03:49 PM
Perhaps adventurers looting a beholder lair find a custom Awaken scroll that grants an alien aberration mentality to the tree it's used on.
I think this is great and it is (as of now) my headcanon regarding awaken-type effects.

flappeercraft
2019-01-30, 04:11 PM
Constructs are technically magic items. Therefore using Nybor’s Psychic Imprint (web archive) would work.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20041215a