PDA

View Full Version : animal companions going underwater

Joran0100
2019-01-30, 06:36 PM
so in my dnd 5e campaign im playing a revised ranger beast master with a wolf companion and i was wondering if my party ever went underwater during a mission as we do have a ship and im worried that if we have to go underwater ill have to leave ny wolf which is kinda a third of my strength on the ship, is there anyway either with spells or other means that i can use to be able to bring him with me

BreaktheStatue
2019-01-30, 06:44 PM
so in my dnd 5e campaign im playing a revised ranger beast master with a wolf companion and i was wondering if my party ever went underwater during a mission as we do have a ship and im worried that if we have to go underwater ill have to leave ny wolf which is kinda a third of my strength on the ship, is there anyway either with spells or other means that i can use to be able to bring him with me

Water Breathing, once your party hits 5th level.

EDIT: Well, technically, whenever you get a 3rd level spell slot. Which for you won't be until 9th level, but if you've got a druid, wizard, or sorcerer they can do it at 5 (if they haven't multiclassed).

ImproperJustice
2019-01-30, 07:19 PM
Beware the mighty Sea Wolf!

Unoriginal
2019-01-30, 09:41 PM

if your party goes undrewater, it means they have the means to do so. Why wouldn't they allow your wolf to go with thw party?

Finback
2019-01-31, 03:13 AM
Can't rangers trade out their animal companions, as if one had died? Why not, if underwater, use another animal like an octopus? Or ask if you can reskin a wolf as a leopard shark, or other small marine predator?

Vogie
2019-01-31, 12:02 PM
Can't rangers trade out their animal companions, as if one had died? Why not, if underwater, use another animal like an octopus? Or ask if you can reskin a wolf as a leopard shark, or other small marine predator?

"Sorry Wolfy, but we're going swimming"
*BANG*
"Alright, you guys hang out for a bit, I need 8 hours to Summon a marine predator to accompany us"
*Preparing the ritual*
*Inhale to begin the incantation*
♫ ...Baby shark, doo doo, doot doo... ♫

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-31, 12:08 PM
Beware the mighty Sea Wolf!

I keep having this image in my head of Donald+Goofy in the Kingdom Hearts games when you visit Atlantis. Your party members are transformed into sea animals while still being themselves. As in, Donald is this weird duck-octopus-hybrid thing. A Ducktopus, as it were.

In KH2, a similar thing happens in the Pridelands, except your party are a bunch of animals native to the savannahs. Goofy, in this instance is a dog-turtle. A Durtle? Tog? Not even sure where to go with this.

A wolf with gills isn't the weirdest possibility is all I'm saying.

ImproperJustice
2019-01-31, 02:00 PM
I keep having this image in my head of Donald+Goofy in the Kingdom Hearts games when you visit Atlantis. Your party members are transformed into sea animals while still being themselves. As in, Donald is this weird duck-octopus-hybrid thing. A Ducktopus, as it were.

In KH2, a similar thing happens in the Pridelands, except your party are a bunch of animals native to the savannahs. Goofy, in this instance is a dog-turtle. A Durtle? Tog? Not even sure where to go with this.

A wolf with gills isn't the weirdest possibility is all I'm saying.

I do remember that part!
I have always been fascinated with underwater travel, it’s like flying but cooler and scarier.

But yeah. Aqua Wolf + Ranger seems very cool to me.
Conjure Animals should make you feel like Aqua Man.

Corpsecandle717
2019-01-31, 03:11 PM
You need to get a hold of a necklace of adaptation for your wolf!

Joran0100
2019-02-01, 05:59 AM
The bard in our party has suggested he use polymorph but would mean he uses an conc spell the whole time we are underwater