PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Narrow question

ZorroGames
2019-01-30, 10:41 PM
Player wants a human Fighter (EK) but wants a ranged magic attack.

He is looking at MI: Warlock for EB until he gets his Wizard spells on.

Given this precondition, and he is about as stubborn as I am, so he is fixated on this; what do suggest he take for his other Cantrip and level 1 spell?

I believe he is going Variant Human with a ST/Heavy Armor and Shield Build.

JNAProductions
2019-01-30, 10:47 PM
Frostbite is good.

Ooh, Sword Burst!

And then Armor Of Agathys is nice, but won't scale too well.
Hellish Rebuke, never bad.

Erys
2019-01-30, 10:53 PM
I would wager he will take hex.

But, really, if he is so head strong on the dip in warlock- let him figure it out. :smallbiggrin:

Unoriginal
2019-01-30, 11:05 PM
Player wants a human Fighter (EK) but wants a ranged magic attack.

He is looking at MI: Warlock for EB until he gets his Wizard spells on.

Given this precondition, and he is about as stubborn as I am, so he is fixated on this; what do suggest he take for his other Cantrip and level 1 spell?

I believe he is going Variant Human with a ST/Heavy Armor and Shield Build.

Well, he got a ranged magic attack with Eldritch Blast. Is he interested in other stuff, or does he want different magic attacks?

Create Bonfire, Prestidigitation, or Armor of Agathys (for the lvl 1 spell) may be worthwhile.

Sigreid
2019-01-31, 12:02 AM
Create bonfire will always be good for effectively shutting down a square when he wants to.

I know you said he's stubborn, but does he understand that unless he puts a high stat in Cha he will never be particularly accurate with EB and that since he can't add CHA to damage MI Wizard for firebolt or chill touch or ray of frost will be about as good without requiring yet another high stat?

Mercurias
2019-01-31, 02:59 AM
If he's hot to trot over going for MI: Warlock, then I'd suggest he get Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade for the other Cantrip and Hex for the level 1 Spell.

If he un-stubborns himself, I'd probably suggest he pick up MI: Wizard instead, though, for Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade, Fire Bolt, and Find Familiar for the level 1 spell. Find Familiar is awesome.

Zhorn
2019-01-31, 03:18 AM
For the 1st level spell ranged attack; Magic Missile. None of that faffing about with MAD scores. If you have limited uses (be it MI or regular slots), you wanna be sure it's gonna hit.

Or just make up a new captrip that functions like a ranged equivalent of GFB or BB. Uses there regular ranged weapon, and does a 4d or d6 extra damage of some type (lower dice since it's ranged). scales up 5th, 11th and 17th level like the other cantrips.

RogueJK
2019-01-31, 06:52 AM
I'd take Minor Illusion and Hex. Booming Blade could be a decent option, but he won't get as much use out of it at lower levels, so he can afford to wait and take it as one of his EK cantrips. (At Levels 1-4 it does no additional damage unless the target moves, and he gets Extra Attack at Level 5, so Booming Blade doesn't really become super useful until he picks up War Magic at Level 7.)

However, keep in mind that for his Eldritch Blast to be effective, he'll need a high CHA. That's in addition to him needing a high STR, CON, and INT for Eldritch Knight. So that's unlikely to happen. I suspect he'll end up with middling scores all around, and be less effective than he could be.

MI: Wizard would be a much better option, since he's already going to need a decent INT score. He could then take Fire Bolt or Toll The Dead for his ranged attack cantrip, along with Minor Illusion and something like Find Familiar.

For the 1st level spell ranged attack; Magic Missile. None of that faffing about with MAD scores.

Warlock doesn't get Magic Missile.

Vogie
2019-01-31, 02:14 PM
Toll the Dead would've been so much better, as he'd be able to ignore the lack of Cha anyway...

Anyway, they might as well use the "Percy Special" of Friends and Hex.

If they're going melee (which I assume) then they'll get a lot out of Sword Burst (to act as a magical whirlwind attack) and Protection from Evil and Good

ZorroGames
2019-01-31, 07:23 PM
Second sign of the Apocalypse- he listened and is now thinking MI: Wizard. Will wonders never cease.

Only thing I said is, “More spells are good; more Wizard spells are better.” And, “That means Warcaster is a thing at some point to consider.” Concentration spells, a select few because it is one at a time, can be more viable if you want to go that route. Not everything needs blasted or chopped.

Someone else did mention that adding “0” Charisma was kind of useful as female mammary glands on a boar but I did not pile on that spot of sarcasm. Wanted to...

ZorroGames
2019-01-31, 07:31 PM
Also found his starting stats. About what I expected.

He is going Morning star and shield, strength over Dexterity and heavy armor over light or medium.

It kind of started me thinking about a Mt. Dwarf EK for another party I sometimes play with. If you are fixated on Mt. Dwarf characters like me I guess that would have occurred to me naturally sometime, sooner or later. I just need to not play it when he is playing his EK. No need to step on his character.

Sigreid
2019-01-31, 09:25 PM
Also found his starting stats. About what I expected.

He is going Morning star and shield, strength over Dexterity and heavy armor over light or medium.

It kind of started me thinking about a Mt. Dwarf EK for another party I sometimes play with. If you are fixated on Mt. Dwarf characters like me I guess that would have occurred to me naturally sometime, sooner or later. I just need to not play it when he is playing his EK. No need to step on his character.

Nonsense, you just need 5 more dwarves and a human female bard.

opaopajr
2019-02-01, 02:23 AM
Cantrip - Friends. 1st Spell - Charm Person. :smalltongue:

It's way stronger than he may think!