PDA

View Full Version : Monsters for windy areas

ValueApe
2019-01-30, 11:10 PM
I need to create steeds for a windy climate. Any biologists out there? This would be in a dark environment (Shadowfell) and I知 thinking something lean, like a horse or spider, but with fins to catch the wind? Any suggestions?

BreaktheStatue
2019-01-30, 11:18 PM
I need to create steeds for a windy climate. Any biologists out there? This would be in a dark environment (Shadowfell) and I知 thinking something lean, like a horse or spider, but with fins to catch the wind? Any suggestions?

I don't know that you'd need anything particularly exotic. The places where (real) wild horses tend to thrive, on steppes and plains, tend to be pretty windy places. I think they'd do just fine as is.

Unoriginal
2019-01-30, 11:20 PM

Hypogriffs?

Crucius
2019-01-31, 09:07 AM
Assuming you don't want a flying creatures, as steeds sounds like they are a few animal handling checks away from becoming mounts, you're talking about the animal equivalent of a sailboat, correct?

No such animal exists, since from a biological standpoint movement is a way to control your location (where the food is at) and being dependent on the wind is not very much being in control. Higher order animals surely use currents to their advantage (scent, enhanced speed in water) but not as a main mode of transportation.

You could look at Pok駑on for inspiration. The Hoppip line is based on plants using wind to spread their seeds, and Emolga is a flying squirrel. Sadly, you can hardly call them steeds. Type Null and Silvally have at least the aesthetic I think you're probably looking for.