PDA

View Full Version : shape shifting magic and missing body parts

Torpin
2019-01-31, 12:06 AM
if a creature or player has alternative forms and lost its eyes in its primary form, would you allow the new form to have eyes.what if its limbs instead of eyes? how about instead of alternative form, its a druid who lost its legs wildshifting into a cheetah with all 4 legs. what abilities and spells would you allow to do this for their duration and what wouldn't you?
im asking because one of my PCs, a wizard said when she got captured" I'd rather have my eye gouged out than look at you again" so her eyes were gouged out and she is trying to justify using alter self to have transformed to herself but with eyes

Psyren
2019-01-31, 11:24 AM
There are very few actual rules for mutilation/amputation in 3e. Combine that with the long-term balance headaches and general squickiness and I just avoid it.

NontheistCleric
2019-01-31, 11:44 AM
if a creature or player has alternative forms and lost its eyes in its primary form, would you allow the new form to have eyes.what if its limbs instead of eyes? how about instead of alternative form, its a druid who lost its legs wildshifting into a cheetah with all 4 legs. what abilities and spells would you allow to do this for their duration and what wouldn't you?
im asking because one of my PCs, a wizard said when she got captured" I'd rather have my eye gouged out than look at you again" so her eyes were gouged out and she is trying to justify using alter self to have transformed to herself but with eyes

When transforming, at least the way it is done in D&D 3.5, no part of the new form is, by default, specifically identified with or tied to any particular part of the old form. Assuming that you are transforming into a physically typical member of the species you are becoming, which is generally assumed to be the case, there's no reason why you wouldn't get all the accompanying organs.

D+1
2019-01-31, 12:15 PM
The spell allows you to take on a NEW form. You WOULD NOT look like yourself, at least not entirely. Yes it allows minor alterations in appearance but I wouldn't let anyone precisely replicate anyone's particular appearance with it, including their own. But otherwise, yes, the purpose of the spell and how it's described as working is that you gain whatever limbs and other body parts are needed to comprise the NEW form. If it will create wings that you don't have it will certainly create legs or arms that you don't have (although, if you don't have arms I'd wonder how you're casting a spell...). Same with eyes. You get the physical capabilities of the new form - just not the supernatural ones. You get fully functional eyes, but not gaze attacks.

IMO