PDA

View Full Version : God Wiz...er...I mean, Druid?

Arial Black
2019-01-31, 12:48 AM
You know Treantmonk's God Wizard concept: (briefly) a wizard who doesn't seem to do much themselves but instead makes victory easier by empowering allies and messing with enemies?

Well, I want to do the same, but with a druid. Specifically, a single-class 5th level druid.

What spells should I prepare to maximise that role?

Mercurias
2019-01-31, 02:42 AM
Druids are pretty good for this role.

Thorn Whip is a good Cantrip for control, since you can use it to haul ranged enemies closer to the DPS. Guidance is another great assisting Cantrip that gives a bonus d4 to someone making an ability check (1 minute conc, expires when used).

For 1st level spells, your hit list could look something like Goodberry, Healing Word, Fairy Fire, Entangle, and Longstrider. Thunder Wave is arguably your best offensive spell, and it can knock enemies back into debuff/damage zones but it isn't any great shakes.

2nd level gives too many awesome buffs to really go into without making this an extremely long post, but if you want control/support only then you could go for Heat Metal, Healing Spirit, Hold Person, Enhance Ability, and Spike Growth.

3rd Level spells you might like are Plant Growth, Sleet Storm, Tidal Wave, and Wind Wall, as well as Water Walk/Water Breathing.

4th Level gets crazy for choices again, including Polymorph, Confusion, Grasping Vine, Hallucinatory Terrain, Ice Storm, Stoneskin, Wall of Fire, and Watery Sphere.

5th Level spells you may like are Awaken (for sentient animal/plant companions), Control Winds, Geas, Greater Restoration, Maelstrom, Mass Cure Wounds, Reincarnate, Transmute Rock, Wall of Stone, and Wrath of Nature.

6th Level spells would be Bones of the Earth, Druid Grove, Heal, Heroes' Feast, Investiture of Stone, Transport Via Plants, and Wind Walk.

7th Level spells would be Mirage Arcane, Plane Shift, Regenerate, Reverse Gravity, and Whirlwind.

8th Level spells would be Antipathy/Sympathy (it's an army breaking spell), Control Weather, Earthquake, and Feeblemind (my choice).

9th level spells would be Foresight, Shapechange, and True Resurrection.

Depending on your Druid Circle, you may have additional spells that could work for this setup. If you want to be a Supporter and Battlefield Controller, I would look at the Circle of the Land and pick the type of land which you think would add the best overall grouping of control spells.

Remember when looking over this list that a Druid can choose a completely different set of spells (Barring Cantrips I think) from its entire spell list at the end of each long rest. Read over what interests you and experiment with what you think works. :)

Skylivedk
2019-01-31, 04:03 AM
Not to forget the summoning spells. They're fantastic (except to turn speed). They add damage, but more than that, they add bodies that can reduce enemy options by:

Taking up space; reducing available space to move through

Grappling/probing/shoving

Triggering opponents' Attacks of Opportunity

Soaking damage

Later they can occasionally give spells as well and become crazy good spell batteries (pixies being the most OP and known example).

Mercurias
2019-01-31, 04:13 AM
Not to forget the summoning spells. They're fantastic (except to turn speed). They add damage, but more than that, they add bodies that can reduce enemy options by:

Taking up space; reducing available space to move through

Grappling/probing/shoving

Triggering opponents' Attacks of Opportunity

Soaking damage

Later they can occasionally give spells as well and become crazy good spell batteries (pixies being the most OP and known example)

While this is definitely true, some or all of these spells leave room open where the DM can choose the conjured minions in question. I'd speak with them first about it and then make sure, if you want to run summons, that you have the sheets available for them as a quick reference and knowledge of the rules of the game for what you're attempting.

Skylivedk
2019-01-31, 04:43 AM
While this is definitely true, some or all of these spells leave room open where the DM can choose the conjured minions in question. I'd speak with them first about it and then make sure, if you want to run summons, that you have the sheets available for them as a quick reference and knowledge of the rules of the game for what you're attempting.

True! That being said: for control you usually want the low cr creatures. The druid requires the most knowledge of the monster's manual of any class

Orc_Lord
2019-01-31, 08:42 AM
I am designing a character with this approach in mind.

I believe Land Druid gives you the best archetype for this. What I haven't decided is if Grassland, Underdark or Arctic is better. I am leaning towards Grassland, but Arctic thematically seems awesome.

Also I feel that Wood Elf is the superior choice because as a wild shaped animal you can stealth better. Ghostwise Hafling is also nice for communication purposes.

JMS
2019-01-31, 08:48 AM
True! That being said: for control you usually want the low cr creatures. The druid requires the most knowledge of the monster's manual of any class
Very true. I recommend Circle of the Shepherd or Dreams, from XGtE for a God Druid. Mercurias gives my usual spell list, but I often grab Frostbite as my cantrip, since it's better when the other's don't play along.

OverLordOcelot
2019-01-31, 10:18 AM

The problem with low CR creatures is that there are a lot of them (slowing down the game), they take up a lot of space, and they're easy for enemies to kill. At 5th level when you first get the spell they're your best choice, and outdoors covering more ground is great, but as you get to higher levels you may quickly find that they get ignored or wiped out, and make your turn take forever, and in tight dungeon rooms you won't be able to fit something like 8 horses. I find myself leaning more and more towards the 2x CR1 option than the 8x CR 1/4.

OverLordOcelot
2019-01-31, 10:23 AM
Some spells that get overlooked for control are moonbeam and flaming sphere. While they are damage spells, the fact that they sits in place and keeps damaging can also prompt an enemy to vacate a particular spot. It's not going to work every time, but forcing that evil cleric to step away from the summoning altar, or keeping the archers from sitting at the good spot in their safe tower can be really handy. This use still fits within the "God Druid" idea as you're not casting the spell to do damage specifically, but to make the enemy move to a better spot.

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-31, 10:28 AM
The problem with low CR creatures is that there are a lot of them (slowing down the game), they take up a lot of space, and they're easy for enemies to kill. At 5th level when you first get the spell they're your best choice, and outdoors covering more ground is great, but as you get to higher levels you may quickly find that they get ignored or wiped out, and make your turn take forever, and in tight dungeon rooms you won't be able to fit something like 8 horses. I find myself leaning more and more towards the 2x CR1 option than the 8x CR 1/4.
As a follow up to this, letting loose with two dire wolves (CR 1) on an enemy has some neat benefits as you go up in level. Them being large avoids some of the "not big enough to knock that creature over" concern.
Dire Wolf Large beast Armor Class 14 (natural armor) Hit Points 37 (5d10 + 10) Speed 50 ft. STR 17 (+3)
Pack Tactics. The wolf has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the wolf’s allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn’t incapacitated. The other wolf is an ally, all attacks with advantage.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. (If your cleric considers tossing a Bane spell on the enemy ... better chance to prone them ... but that's extra)

Even against giants we were somewhat surprised to see how often the wolves hit, and forced the save. While giants usually save, sometimes they don't if the save trigger comes often enough.

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-31, 05:08 PM
There is one strategy I think a few people may have missed that fits well:

Magic Stone.

Not only can you arm your allies with 60 foot ranged magical attacks that use your Wisdom for the damage, but you can also summon creatures.

Specifically, you can summon CR 1/2 beasts. As in, the Ape, who has a Throw Rock ability.

Cast Conjure Animals with your action, next turn arm them with Magic Stones as you start blasting at the enemy with your cantrip of choice (Frostbite?)

Arial Black
2019-01-31, 08:17 PM
Thank you all for your excellent suggestions. :smallsmile:

Although I can see the tactical advantages of the various summon-type spells, one of my design goals is to avoid dominating screen time. I'm playing with players who are definitely not optimisers, so I want them to get the glory and the screen time. I usually play combat monsters designed within an inch of their fictional lives, which is great if all the players do likewise but it can be alienating if it seems I am dominating the game in any of the pillars of the game. This is why I need advice for a support-type PC, because I very rarely play one.