PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best Divine Domain for Out of the Abyss

Waifu Collector
2019-01-31, 10:00 AM
My teammates are a monk, a bard and our last player is likely to be a martial class.

Domains I was considering are Knowledge (generally a strong choice for the social pillar), Life (never a bad choice) , Light (because boom), and Nature (demons and underdark creatures use elements a decent amount, also charming Myconids might be hilarious). Additionally, I chose Tiefling as my race of choice, and my DM is letting my spells use wisdom instead of charisma.

I’m really just asking “what is the best/are the best domain(s) based on my team and the book? And have any of you played a cleric in OotA before?

BobZan
2019-01-31, 10:04 AM
You can't go wrong with Light Cleric on that party. A Hill Dwarf would be great.

You'll have somewhat good AC/resilience/damage/divine stuff for a good second line caster.

Misterwhisper
2019-01-31, 10:30 AM
No spoilers but I did play through OotA from start to finish.

1. Don’t worry much about social.

2. Don’t be based on heavy armor, with one expecption.

3. Have darkvision.

4. Utility is amazing.

If I was building a cleric for OotA:

A warforged, the built in armor and no need for food or drink will be a life saver.

Forge cleric will be amazing with crafting needed gear.

Take a cantrip that can help see like light.
Mending is also handy.

RogueJK
2019-01-31, 10:34 AM
Definitely Light Cleric. Your team needs an AOE blaster, primary healer, and backup melee. Light works well for that, plus several of their Light-related spells and features will come in handy when combatting magical Darkness.

Tempest would be a good alternate option for an AOE blaster Cleric.

For Tiefling, if you're using the variants from MtoF, your best bet is likely either Fierna (WIS stat boost and charm spells) or Levistus (CON stat boost and attack/defense spells).

(But a Tiefling of any flavor wouldn't be my first choice for race.)