PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Critique my setting Part 2

Apocallama
2019-01-31, 01:14 PM
Hey guys. Thank you so much for responding to my first post. I was hoping to get a little more help. You can find the link to the first part here if you'd like, it's not very long so give it a read if you think it would help :)
/forums/showthread.php?578463-Critique-my-setting

TL:DR Players are contestants in an intergalactic "survivor" type game show, the theme this year being "Medieval fantasy". They are competing against other contestant groups to gain the main prize, but after winning the main game they will have to go through a battle royale amongst each other.

Something that i want to bring up is that i didn't do enough to set the tone of my game very well. People seemed to assume it was gonna be like a Running Man or Hunger Games, actually i want the tone to be more like Tak and the Great Juju Challenge. The players have volunteered for this, and the showrunners are not malevolent hosts that want torture, they simply want to put on a good show.

To set the tone a bit more, i could make it that the pc's don't actually die per se, but are more "eliminated" from the show. A resurrection spell or something could be tonally more like a token to bring a player back in.

The main world is going to be set in an archipelago of islands, and a plot point that i was thinking was potentially they have to go from area to area in the archipelago and unlock passes to the next area, opening up the world and getting more points in the process. This was i can sort of send the players in the right direction, like a "You haven't received the pass to the next area, there must be more people to help on this island" kind of deal.

The opening arc of the story i was thinking was them acquiring their first boat to travel between the islands that they have access to. After helping out the towns and racking up some points, a sort of classic "My daughter was taken to this far off island by a chimera, if you get her back i will give you my boat" mission starts or something to that effect.

After they gain access to the seas a few plot points that i could add in would be something like;
A Ghost ship that they could battle through, and potentially hijack?: This could definitely be a good time to upgrade their boat if they wanted. I think it would be a cool idea to let the players be able to commandeer the boat or ally with the ghosts like Aragorn or something
Different areas hold different terrains and people: E.g One area could be a swamp land, which could be home to the more typical or atypical goblin lands, or shambling woods etc, while another land could be more mountainous. I definitely want the first area to definitely be more of your standard medieval fantasy setting that then giving the players a map and seeing which area they would like the go to next.
The inclusion of rival teams: It's a simple idea which is basically a must. Me and my party have had running in joke characters spanning across our worlds so it would be a good place to slot some of them in for them to enjoy. To what extent the other teams impact the main story i am not quite sure yet.
The point system potentially being used as a currency: In the context of the gameshow that they are on, they will be earning points. Whichever team has the most points at the end of a certain time period will gain a reward, maybe a magic item or something of equal value, but i was also thinking that maybe the point system could be used as a sort of metagame currency. Since the characters know they are in a gameshow, they may be able to contact the "host" and trade in one of their points, potentially losing their round for them, for a spur of the moment need, eg material components for a spell, advantage on a roll etc.

I definitely don't want the campaign to focus too hard on combat. Obviously combat is important but i think it would be easy to slip into a campaign that is all too combat heavy and not enough roleplay opportunity.

I'm still not quite sure what the final reward would be, i want this campaign to go for a while so it can't just be something that a high level character could easily get themselves, eg what a wizard could get in a wish spell. I was thinking some sort of godly favour, or maybe just a joke prize like an all expenses trip to some hotel

Please let me know what you would expect if you were a player in this campaign. Am i leaving out something obvious? What characters/other plot points would you include?

You guys offered some pretty good feedback last time so i would like to hear from you again

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-31, 01:36 PM
I'm still not quite sure what the final reward would be, i want this campaign to go for a while so it can't just be something that a high level character could easily get themselves, eg what a wizard could get in a wish spell. I was thinking some sort of godly favour, or maybe just a joke prize like an all expenses trip to some hotel

Their powers are dependent on the game itself, as is their "leveling up". They're actually just level 1 commoners. But now it's a level 1 commoner with a single use of Wish.
The game host was the winner of the last competition. Now you're the next host, and you get to pick the next theme.
You now have "Mod rights" to the game show, being able to modify the rules or events as needed.
You gain a Deck of Many Things, and you know the first card drawn is a The Fates card.

Apocallama
2019-01-31, 01:41 PM
The game host was the winner of the last competition. Now you're the next host, and you get to pick the next theme.
You now have "Mod rights" to the game show, being able to modify the rules or events as needed.

This could be really interesting. Kind of like a Eurovision type thing, where you are representing your people and whoever wins is regarded as a famous hero, even going on to host/ have power over the next season