PDA

View Full Version : Oak's Largest Dungeon - The Dream Begins

PeacefulOak
2019-01-31, 04:22 PM
The dream starts as many do, with the sensation of falling.
No rushing air, no wind in your ears,
just the certain sensation within you that you are going DOWN... and fast.

Without any perceivable transition, you are no longer falling.
You are floating, adrift in nothing.
You look down at yourself, and there's nothing there.
You wave your arms, and they aren't there either.
The panic rises within the body you don't have
and just before it consumes the essence of your lack...
a voice intervenes, filling the absence of your ears.

"Your World Needs Heroes.
You Are Not One Yet.
Follow The Path, Choose. Grow. Learn.
Become More. Take Risks.
LIVE."

From nothing, you become.

You each open your eyes. You are familiar with those around you, though you know them not. Awake, this isn't your body. But asleep and dreaming... is it a dream? It feels right. It feels true. This is your reality.

Your reality appears to be an immense square stone room, easily one hundred feet to a side. The ceiling is low, maybe ten feet tall. There is no apparent source of light here, but somehow you can see clearly. There is a door in the North-North East corner, and another in the South-South West corner.

What do you do?

BelGareth
2019-01-31, 05:04 PM
Orfan (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1812229)

Waking up, he begins to cough violently, he was dreaming of...water? was he underwater? he shook himself and stood to his full height of 3'2.

Looking around he narrowed his eyes and pierced the darkness, or tried to.

He looked around and tried to see what he could listen, and spot.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Derjuin
2019-01-31, 06:10 PM
As Iniki wakes, she takes in her surroundings and is quick to snap to her feet, readying her spear until she realizes those around her aren't foes. "What is this place?" She hisses, sounding not unlike an angry cat. "Who are you? What are your names?" she inquires of the others in the room, roughly barking the common language at them.

Stevesciguy
2019-01-31, 09:04 PM
From the corner of the room:
"Uuuurugh, what the hell is this?"

Sitting up is a young man of average height with shoulder length brown hair. His gaze passes over the room, stopping on the kobold.

"What the hell is that?"

OMG PONIES
2019-02-04, 07:25 AM
This is not here. I am not me. And I have somewhere else to be.

A small man blinks and looks around the room. His hair is neatly braided and speckled with spots of gray that stand in stark contrast to the darkest strands. His large almond-shaped eyes are an intense shade of lavender that likewise jump out against his dark skin and clothing.

"What is this place?...Who are you? What are your names?"

"Uuuurugh, what the hell is this?...What the hell is that?"

The small, dark man raises a finger to his lips in an attempt to quiet the questions of the others
"This is not here, and we are not us," he whispers. Placing a hand on his chest, he continues, "This is Flash, and that--" his voice raises ever so slightly, brimming with contempt as he points at the hissing creature, is a kobold. Now, I have somewhere else to be." With that, he starts moving toward the door in the North-North-East.

What is a kobold? And why do I hate it so much?

BelGareth
2019-02-05, 12:39 PM
Orfan (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1812229)

Ignoring the others, Orfan moves to the top left door, "Well when you're in a room, and theres a door, you open it" he says, as he opens it.

Stevesciguy
2019-02-05, 02:05 PM
"I'm pretty sure this is me, got two arms, two legs, and I don't have a mirror, but my face feels right."

Zac feels around at his new clothing, finding the two kukris sheathed in his belt.
"Huh. Pointy."

As Orfan opens the door:
"Yes, let's charge through doors at random, in a world with small dog-lizard things..."

Just now Zac notices the stature of the two other humanoids.
"...and dwarves?"

OMG PONIES
2019-02-06, 06:06 AM
"Well when you're in a room, and theres a door, you open it" he says, as he opens it.

Flash shakes his head at the other gnome's suggestion, but can't stop him in time before he opens it. Instinctively, Flash clenches his eyes shut and braces for something bad to happen. "Listen. Look. Then open," he suggests quietly.

...and dwarves?"

"Gnomes," Flash corrects the hulking giant.

But aren't gnomes like, lawn ornaments or something? I think I'm more like the giant than I am like myself. Something is up. No time to ask, I have somewhere else to be...but where?

As the party makes their way through the door, Flash looks up to the inquisitive human and softly asks, "Your name, please?"

Derjuin
2019-02-06, 10:30 AM
After the shock of waking somewhere she didn't go to sleep wears off a bit, Iniki looks down to her spear. Spear? Why does this feel familiar? Then to her hands. Scaled, clawed hands. Are those... mine? She turns about, finally snapping to clarity as the realization that she's stuck in a room with two vile gnomes.

Wait. Why are they vile?

"No matter. We'll look around, figure out where we are." She grumbles to herself, hoisting the slab of metal strapped to her arm as though it were nothing and scampering after the others. Her gait felt weird, legs short, and she realized she was much closer to the ground than normal. And the others were much taller.

"Do whatever it is we're supposed to do. Fight things, I guess."

PeacefulOak
2019-02-20, 11:20 AM
The door swings open at a touch, passing through a gleaming white field that glows with brilliant energy. It gives you pause, a moment at least, considering the implications of stepping into an infinite white expanse... and into that pause a voice speaks.

Travelers, Chosen...
Growth is required. Power is needed.
Conflict leads to growth.
Danger brings experience.
Experience is Power.
Go forth, face conflict, overcome danger.
Grow, gain experience, become Powerful.
You will be rewarded.

The white radiance increases in intensity until a brilliant flash washes through the room, and the door is now open, leading into a wide hallway of rough stone flags that extends to the right. Two doors are visible from where you stand, one immediately across and the other further to the right.

OMG PONIES
2019-02-23, 08:06 AM
"If this place is opposite," Flash muses, "right is wrong. We stay left."

With that, he makes his way slowly and quietly to the leftmost door in E2, keeping an ear out for danger. When he gets to the door, he motions for the others to join him...maybe one of them knew how to check and make sure it was safe to open?

[roll0]
[roll1]

Stevesciguy
2019-02-27, 07:21 PM
"Still not sure what's going on, but might as well stick together... do not just blast through there, let me check it first..."

Search Check:
[roll0]

Good lord, that was bad. Can I take 20?

PeacefulOak
2019-03-01, 11:17 AM
Leaning close to the door you smell something.... off. A faint foul smell tickles the back of your mouth, causing a bit of worry about what might lie on the other side of this door. Zak, you're not sure if there are any traps but you're pretty sure the door isn't locked.

As Flash listens, he hears voices grumbling from the distance, echoing from the hallway to your right.

You can take 20, understanding that it means that you might have a catestrophic failure as part of that (ie. You try every avenue to find/disable a trap... but at least one of those avenues would trigger said trap).

Taking 20
When you have plenty of time (generally 2 minutes for a skill that can normally be checked in 1 round, one full-round action, or one standard action), you are faced with no threats or distractions, and the skill being attempted carries no penalties for failure, you can take 20. In other words, eventually you will get a 20 on 1d20 if you roll enough times. Instead of rolling 1d20 for the skill check, just calculate your result as if you had rolled a 20.

Taking 20 means you are trying until you get it right, and it assumes that you fail many times before succeeding. Taking 20 takes twenty times as long as making a single check would take.

Since taking 20 assumes that the character will fail many times before succeeding, if you did attempt to take 20 on a skill that carries penalties for failure, your character would automatically incur those penalties before he or she could complete the task. Common “take 20” skills include Escape Artist, Open Lock, and Search.
Emphasis mine.

OMG PONIES
2019-03-06, 05:42 AM
Flash snarls at the sound of voices in the distance to the right. "If this is not here & I am not me...maybe right is wrong," he suggests. "We always go left," he says to the others before opening the left-most door.

Flash opens the door into E1.