PDA

View Full Version : Adventurers League Question: Higher levels better?

GreyBlack
2019-02-01, 09:55 AM
So I had been involved with a buddy who was running an Adventurer's League game at home which I recently left; I found the format somewhat grating and limiting, with characters really not being able to pursue their own interests and feeling something of a lack of progression beyond leveling. In particular, my character was more focused on pursuing higher levels in his faction (Lord's Alliance), but I felt no significant change in recognition despite advancing in faction level. He was playing under season 1-7 rules, not season 8, and we played through season 1.

However, I did only play until about level 7, and realized that I didn't really give higher level stuff a chance because of that disenchantment.

Does higher level play for Adventurer's League provide that higher level of engagement and pursuit of greater goals? Or does there continue to be minimal real plot engagement? Do we continue to be glorified ratcatchers, or can we affect the general plot in some way? Did I give the game enough of a chance, or did I leave too early?

And, yes, I'm aware that The Red War stuff happened which basically killed factions.

Jophiel
2019-02-01, 10:09 AM
Not really. Adventurer's League is intended to be a series of self-contained one shots that players can drop into or out of based on their schedule and geographic location (you can travel and join tables anywhere for an evening). In depth development doesn't work well with that arrangement. I think it's fun when you just want to play and I've had some great experiences but it's no substitute for a standard campaign with a strong character development aspect vs dungeon crawls and loot grabbing.

Bel-Torac
2019-02-01, 10:35 AM
If you play a hardcover book with AL rules, it could be a little different depending on the adventure. It mainly depends on your dm. Dungeon crawls not likely.

As for the modules, it just depends on the game. Some are roleplay heavy and have continuation and a majority don't.

GreyBlack
2019-02-01, 11:06 AM
Not really. Adventurer's League is intended to be a series of self-contained one shots that players can drop into or out of based on their schedule and geographic location (you can travel and join tables anywhere for an evening). In depth development doesn't work well with that arrangement. I think it's fun when you just want to play and I've had some great experiences but it's no substitute for a standard campaign with a strong character development aspect vs dungeon crawls and loot grabbing.

Then I'm glad I made my choice. Thank you.

Keravath
2019-02-02, 01:02 AM
I find it is far more dependent on who is playing. If you want to just focus on leveling then that is your choice and you are free to play it that way. However, AL isn't a homebrew game, the only effects that player actions will have on the story line are the ones written into the module. You can still choose to take whatever actions you wish, you can choose to roleplay, you can choose how your character will behave ... all of that is up to the player and when I play AL I do all of the above.

However, the format of AL is intentionally encapsulated because the characters can be taken and played at any AL table anywhere as long as the session have been logged. As a result, individual modules will fairly often have some sort of connectivity to other modules in the same season but each one is still mostly self-contained because you never know what players or characters will be playing in the next session.

Personally, I find it fun and enjoy it ... it is not the same thing as a home game with a bunch of friends ... but I never expected it would be.

Merudo
2019-02-02, 06:27 AM
Is there any use for faction renown, beside DM fiat?

I've checked Waterdeep: Dragon Heist and renown seems mostly pointless.

Keravath
2019-02-02, 09:51 AM

There is a temporary reward given at the start of every adventure depending on how much renown you have. Factions don't play much of a role any more beyond role playing (there is no faction charity for example). The only real constraint is that Lawful Evil characters must still be a member of a specific faction (Zhent or Lords Alliance I think but I am not sure on the second).

The typical reward is a free healing potion starting from 1+ renown .. if the potion is not used during the adventure it expires. It can't be kept for future adventures. Any potions you find during the adventure CAN be assigned to a specific character and can be kept by that character.

OverLordOcelot
2019-02-02, 10:13 AM
I'm wondering, how would you expect what you are looking for to work in large scale organized play like AL? You can't count on a consistent DM or any particular player having run a module, people might have run the same adventures as you in the past but gotten different results, and there's no central administration of characters (you bring a sheet with you). I don't really see what gameplay you can do other than 'lots of one-shots, sometimes running a multi-session adventure or hardback' with the constraints of the framework; I'm not sure what 'central plot' you're thinking you'd get to have a large influence on, and particularly how that would work with other players. I'm involved in a local Call of Cthulhu group that I think does what you're looking for, but that's run by a group of 4 or 5 DMs who coordinate the 'behind the scenes' happenings with each other, it wouldn't function on a nationwide scale with players who can run adventures out of sequence.

And this isn't sarcastic, I'm wondering if you have some idea that might be interesting, but I suspect what you want just isn't something that can happen in large scale organized play like AL.

OverLordOcelot
2019-02-02, 10:17 AM

Renown gives you a reward that lasts through the session, at first it's a basic healing potion, then it can be one item from the PHB equipment, then inspiration, then a superior healing potion, then a non-combat vehicle as your reknown goes up. Occasionally you'll get a small bonus or side mission in an adventure based on your faction, but it's not common. Factions are not a big deal in AL now.

You want to download the AL rules pack to help answer questions like this, it's pretty disorganizaed but has the reknown rewards: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/208178/DD-Adventurers-League-Player--DM-Pack

Kintar
2019-02-03, 09:46 AM
The short answer is you made the right choice, and no it does not get "better". AL was never designed to provide DM's the tools to give custom individualized experiences. That simply comes from playing DnD with a good DM and possibly some Homebrew.

AL's purpose is to give rigid structure and a means to legitimize massive multiplayer role playing experiences, especially at a Convention level where participants can be charged to play in exclusive events. That way, if you show up to a concert, there is a reasonable means to verify that your char you brought is "legit". You say you have a Holy Avenger? Well that's impossible because there's no way in legal AL that this could be possible.

Factions were an afterthought put in to try and give players another means to acquire gear they may want. All the other additional stuff like rank and its impact on the world around your char only has a chance to feel fleshed out in the hands of a capable DM that does not run AL games.

Jophiel
2019-02-03, 10:18 AM
I find it is far more dependent on who is playing. If you want to just focus on leveling then that is your choice and you are free to play it that way. However, AL isn't a homebrew game, the only effects that player actions will have on the story line are the ones written into the module. You can still choose to take whatever actions you wish, you can choose to roleplay, you can choose how your character will behave ... all of that is up to the player and when I play AL I do all of the above.
Most of the people I play AL games with roleplay and I wouldn't say any treat it like a "board game" or "video game/MMO" or the usual distainful stuff. And I've had some great times at the AL table and am thankful that an active AL community in my area means I can get a game in on a regular basis rather than the "wrangle six people with family/job schedules" issues you can get with homebrew.

In the specific instance of the OP, I'd say the real issue is a DM who is playing AL modules at home, presumably not "officially" and having everyone record their DCI data and all that. So he could be providing some of what the OP would like while still using the modules for structure (since he's playing through a full season) but chooses not to for whatever reason.