PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon of The Mad Mage Help

Storyl
2019-02-01, 11:22 AM
Hey I'm reading through and getting ready to play through DOTMM with my players and I don't know how to start it. What information do I tell them and how do I get them into the mountain? Also what's a good intro in the beggining of the campaign without Waterdeep Dragon Heist.

Unoriginal
2019-02-01, 11:34 AM
The adventure already includes several NPCs ready to hire the PCs to go into the dungeon for different goals. On top of that, it is an incredibly famous spot for adventuring, and tales of the riches one can get if they get out of the dungeon alive have spread far and wide. Plus it's filled with evil beings and known criminals.

All in all, many adventurers will go through the Yawning Portal, and the PCs are among them.

Storyl
2019-02-01, 11:59 AM
Any ideas for what could attract them down into the Undermountain?

Hail Tempus
2019-02-01, 12:44 PM
Any ideas for what could attract them down into the Undermountain? What typically attracts adventurers to risk life and limb? Treasure, magic items, a desire to be come rich and maybe famous, the thrill of combat and danger etc.

Unoriginal
2019-02-01, 12:50 PM
What typically attracts adventurers to risk life and limb? Treasure, magic items, a desire to be come rich and maybe famous, the thrill of combat and danger etc.

Not to mention the arcane secrets one can find there, a desire to defeat evil, revenge on one of the antagonists, being tasked by your superiors to go there, etc.

Hail Tempus
2019-02-01, 01:02 PM
Not to mention the arcane secrets one can find there, a desire to defeat evil, revenge on one of the antagonists, being tasked by your superiors to go there, etc. Right. I don't have much patience for players who ask "But why would my character go on this adventure?"

Because we've all decided to play an RPG where our characters go on adventures. How much motivation do you really need?

Unoriginal
2019-02-01, 01:08 PM
Right. I don't have much patience for players who ask "But why would my character go on this adventure?"

Because we've all decided to play an RPG where our characters go on adventures. How much motivation do you really need?

True.

When I was a teen I once went full That Guy because I didn't like how little the quest giver was offering to go on a dangerous quest, so I got the quest giver blind drunk and stole all his money and equipment. It wasn't a nice thing to do.

Personally when I started DMing Dragon Heist I asked for everyone for a reason to go for/return to Waterdeep and that they all met on the road.

djreynolds
2019-02-01, 02:58 PM
In the module are several additional quests players can undertake while in Undermountain. And these task also appear as the players advance in level.

So try these out, some are for money, some are for Volo, some races should feel a need, and some are to help out previous adventures who did not come back.