View Full Version : Optimization Best Races if attribute bonuses are ignored?

Merudo
2019-02-01, 03:46 PM
Suppose all racial ability score bonus are ignored. Which race(s) would end up being the best?

I identified a few but I'm sure there are more:

Variant Human: extra feat
Kobold: pack tactics
Yuan-ti Pureblood: magical resistance and poison immunity

Other decent races:

Aasimar: necrotic/radiant resistance and various abilities
Gnome: advantage on mental saving throws
Tiefling: fire resistance + spells (many variants available)

Anything I'm overlooking?

PeteNutButter
2019-02-01, 03:55 PM
Goblin is pretty good, with a nice short rest damage boost and two thirds of cunning action. In fact most of the Volo's races are pretty good.

Rukelnikov
2019-02-01, 04:00 PM
Aarakocra, or any other flying race

Dwarf(mountain), medium armor and no penalty from lacking strength

Tortle AC 17

Rerem115
2019-02-01, 04:09 PM
Anything with wings; Aaracockra, variant Tieflings, or variant Elves. On a related note, anything that has a movement buff, so Tabaxi, Centaur, and Eladrin and co.

Loxodon, Lizardfolk, and Tortle get honorable mentions for their goofy AC and quirks.

jaappleton
2019-02-01, 04:13 PM
If you have a decently sized party (like 5 characters), I REALLY like Hobgoblins for their Saving Face feature. They also start with Light Armor, meaning Medium and Shield proficiency is one feat away. Really solid option there for any mage.

RogueJK
2019-02-01, 04:15 PM
Firbolg - Limited Animal/Plant speech, as well as a nice spell selection that refreshes on a Short Rest, including Detect Magic, Disguise Self, and Invisibility for 1 round.

Shadar-Kai - Usual Elf features, plus Necrotic resistance, and a 1/day combo Misty Step/damage resistance.

Eladrin - Usual Elf Features, plus a combo Misty Step with additional rider that refreshes on a Short Rest. (Not as powerful as Shadar-Kai's Misty Step ability, but useable more often.) You can also change the Misty Step rider's effect each day, to fit the current situation.

jaappleton
2019-02-01, 04:16 PM
Firbolg - Limited Animal/Plant speech, as well as a nice spell selection that refreshes on a Short Rest, including Detect Magic, Disguise Self, and Invisibility for 1 round.

Shadar-Kai - Usual Elf features, plus Necrotic resistance, and a 1/day combo Misty Step/damage resistance.

Eladrin - Usual Elf Features, plus a combo Misty Step with additional rider that refreshes on a Short Rest. (Not as powerful as Shadar-Kai's Misty Step ability, but useable more often.) You can also change the Misty Step rider's effect each day, to fit the current situation.

It’s important to note that while functioning identically to Misty Step, Eladrin don’t use that. Why was it changed away from Misty Step to Fey Step? Because Fey Step cannot be Counterspell’d.