PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Crow Familiar Homebrew

Brayehn
2019-02-01, 03:47 PM
I made a crow to be used as a familiar and wanted to know if the stats and abilities were fair.

Crow
Tiny beast, unaligned
Armor Class 12
Hit Points 1 (1d4-1)
Speed 10 ft., fly 50 ft.
STR: 2 (-4)
DEX: 14 (+2)
CON: 8 (-1)
INT: 12 (+1)
WIS: 12 (+1)
CHA: 6 (-2)

Skills: Perception +3, Investigation +3
Senses: passive Perception 13

Group Mindset. The crow has advantage on Perception and Investigation checks made in an area with non-hostile birds.
Finders, Keepers. The crow has a habit of finding and collecting small objects and trinkets.

Actions
Beak. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage.

My justification for the intelligence boost and investigation skill is how smart crows are in real life.
The ability Group Mindset is because of how social crows are.

I am not sure if this would be balanced with other familiars and would like feedback.
Thoughts?

nickl_2000
2019-02-01, 03:55 PM
Intelligence - 12 is way, way to much. That would be putting it on the level of an intelligent human, which isn't right for a crow. Given that a dolphin and an ape is INT 6 (and both of them use tools), I think a 6 INT would be more than fair.

Finders, Keepers - This is mostly just fluff, but could be a lot of fun. I see know issues with it.

Group Mindset - So, unless there are hostile birds around, they get advantage on two skills? I don't see the hostile birds being all that common, and I think that two skills is high. I would actually give them only investigation only. Leave the perception advantage for the Hawk. Still give them +3 to perception and +3 to investigation. That should be fine.

RavynsLand
2019-02-01, 04:44 PM
snip

This sounds about right to me, especially in giving them Investigation rather than Perception. Let them use their intelligence for all it's worth.

sandmote
2019-02-01, 05:08 PM
Group Mindset. The crow has advantage on Perception and Investigation checks made in an area with non-hostile birds.
Finders, Keepers. The crow has a habit of finding and collecting small objects and trinkets.

I think the easy way is to refluff the raven (https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/raven).

But adding a few more abilities to beasts is something I'm interested in. I like the boost to investigation, as this gives the crow a unique niche as an option for a familiar.

As written Group Mindset is mostly a straight upgrade of Keen Hearing, Sight, and Smell. Which most animals only get two of. And you're granting an equivalent bonus to Investigation. That's really strong.

If you meant the crows only get the bonus while in a group, maybe say, "while in a group of friendly crows," instead of "in an area with non-hostile birds."

Otherwise, I would recommend rewriting the ability "Keen Mind," and having it only grant advantage on investigation checks. That way it fits with existing abilities for beasts, in addition to being useful and flavorful. I think that's going to be more useful for a character than stronger bonuses while only in a group. That they won't be in, because there's only so many familiars in the party.