PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Playing PAM Hexadin 6/1. Should I go for Sorcerer now?

Alucard89
2019-02-01, 04:34 PM
First of all, hello to everyone. Seems like good place to start :).

I am playing right now Hexadin. Level 6 Vengeance Paladin/Level 1 Hexadin.

Variant Human: 15, 10, 14, 8, 10, 18. PAM and +2 CHA. I plan to take War Caster next and then +2 CHA.

I use Spear/Magic Staff + Shield and Duelist. I have tons of fun with this build as it's really super strong.

However I wonder if I should continue as Paladin to 19/1 or maybe 18/2 or should I maybe go for 13 levels of Sorcerer now? 6/1/13? I would lose one ASI but I would get more high level slots (6th, 7th, 8th) for Smites and Quicken Spells for Hold Person etc.

I will lose however high Lay Down Hands, Cleansing Touch, IDS and one ASI.

I am not that interested in playing caster. I want to maximize my melee (smite) power, damage and self buffs.

I was thinking about going one or two more levels of Warlock but sadly Pact Magic doesn't count to caster level so I will lose one 5th level Paladin slot (5k8 smite) for that, and I like to Smite a lot.

So question is: should I go now for Sorcerer or it's not worth? What do you think?

Mitsu
2019-02-01, 07:28 PM
I think you lose too much with your odd level numbers. 6/1 means that you next ASI will be on 4th level of Sorcerer so at total of 11th level. That is pushing your War Caster and +CHA away by 3 levels, which is a lot.

You could go 8/1 to get 8th level ASI and then go 11 levels of Sorcerer. You then keep your ASI progression. However you push 3rd level spells here (Haste, Fireball etc.) to level 14. Which is quite a lot too. But you get in the end 3 more high level slots for smites.

You could also go to level 12 with Paladin. So 12/1 and get only 7 levels of Sorcerer. Reason for that is:

1. You get Haste on 9, you get IDS and you get all ASIs to level 13 in normal speed.
2. You still get 2 extra high level slots (6th and 7th)

That is why I don't like PAM build on Sorcadin becasue you usually multi at non-ASI numbers from Paladin- 2, 3, 6 or 11. Which is always an ASI lost and delay and PAM already took one ASI.

So:

In first case it's imo not optimal to push your ASI that much away. I would not go that way with PAM.

Second case is imo better but you have to ask yourself if you want to push your 3rd levels spell so far away for the price of Quicken Spells and more slots for smites.

Third option is imo safest but you won't get much "caster" benefits till like super end-game but you will at least get 2 more slots for smites and won't miss much from Paladin. And you will still be able to do sometimes a Quicken Hold Person.

I would chose between option 2 and 3. 3 is more like "safe boost" to smites and not much else, but it's safe.

If you want to build proper Sorcadin next time I strongly suggest to give up PAM and start with Warcaster and +2 CHA on 4th level so you can delay ASI no problem when you multi.

Rukelnikov
2019-02-01, 08:48 PM
If you wanna improve your martial prowess, and just want Sorc for the spell slots, maybe Whisper Bard could interest you, it has its own smite that it can use spending Bardic inspirations.

Alucard89
2019-02-01, 09:44 PM
If you wanna improve your martial prowess, and just want Sorc for the spell slots, maybe Whisper Bard could interest you, it has its own smite that it can use spending Bardic inspirations.

Wow, I didn't think about this option at all.

It would make sense. I could go Whisper Bard after level 13 (after last ASI + IDS) and get at least 5 levels for it to get extra 3d6 damage on attack once per turn 5 times per day. It would actually be great tool to use on crit! 6d6 + double Smite would be huge damage boost for crit attacks.

And I would still get 2 more high level slots if going 7 levels of Bard.

It would also work really well with PAM Booming Blade, adding another damage to already strong rection attack.

Thanks for new idea! :) I have to think through about it.

Rukelnikov
2019-02-01, 10:03 PM
extra 3d6 damage on attack once per turn 5 times per short rest :O.

Thanks for new idea! :) I have to think through about it.

Glad you liked it, I love WB (and bards in general :P)