PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next College of Satire - Revised (PEACH)

RavynsLand
2019-02-01, 04:40 PM
Despite massively enjoying the idea of the College of Satire, and the prospect of playing as a jester-flavored Bard, I found the playtest material in the Unearthed Arcana to be severely lacking. Riddled with abilities that were overpowered, underpowered, or didn’t make sense, I felt that the subclass as presented lacked in both balance and flavor.

Thus, I have revised it entirely, severely downgrading certain powerful abilities while outright changing those which were lackluster or ill-fitting. In this redesign I attempted to better harness the core Bard’s mechanics and resources, while honing the themes of comedy and subversion of expectations. I present it here now to see if there's anything the think tank notices that I may have missed, in terms of balancing or using this class (as I plan to introduce it, or a variant of it, to my players at some point). Anyway, here we go!

College of Satire (Revised)

Bonus Proficiencies: When you choose this archetype at level 3, gain proficiency in the Acrobatics and Sleight of Hand skills. If you already have these skills, you may choose another skill from the Bard skill list.

Tumbling Fool: Also at level 3, you gain the ability to tumble as a Bonus Action. While tumbling, you gain the benefits of the Disengage action, and take half damage from falling.

Slapstick: At level 6, you learn that the best time to harangue your enemies is when they least expect it. When you successfully make an Attack of Opportunity, your target also suffers Disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks until the end of their turn.

'Twas but a Jest: Also at level 6, you gain the ability to cover social gaffes with humor. When you fail at a Charisma ability or skill check, you may choose to expend one of your Bardic Inspiration dice to reroll the check. Add your Bardic Inspiration die roll to the total, and you must keep the new result.

Punchline: At level 14, you have mastered the art of comedic timing. When an enemy succeeds at an Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma saving throw, you may expend one of your Bardic Inspiration dice and subtract the number from their total. If this lowers their roll below the Saving Throw DC, they fail their save.

MagneticKitty
2019-02-05, 01:30 PM
I like the 6 and 14th abilities better, it sucked that the dm had to punish you for an ability you used. Overall is good, but I'd miss the bonus action dash from tumble. Msight have been too powerful a 3 lv dip tho

Blackbando
2019-02-05, 05:35 PM
I like the 6 and 14th abilities better, it sucked that the dm had to punish you for an ability you used. Overall is good, but I'd miss the bonus action dash from tumble. Msight have been too powerful a 3 lv dip tho

I'd say it's a just fix; only one level later, it was giving Cunning Action, except it was all of the actions it could take at once besides Hide, and two more benefits.

Overall, I do think this is good, but, the 14th level, perhaps maybe make it more like Cutting Words, but for mental saving throws; as in, the whole "you can use it after the roll but before the DM says if it succeeds or fails".

It is a 14th level ability, so it's probably not a huge issue if it goes against that, but forcing failed saving throws--especially mental ones--is already pretty hefty as-is, considering this is roughly 5/short rest.

RavynsLand
2019-02-07, 02:15 AM
I like the 6 and 14th abilities better, it sucked that the dm had to punish you for an ability you used. Overall is good, but I'd miss the bonus action dash from tumble. Might have been too powerful a 3 lv dip tho

Yeah, that was kinda my logic in nerfing it. As it was (disengage, dash, half falling, AND double climb) it was hands-down the best and cheapest mobility tool in the game. Too good for a level 3 bard.

The 14th level, perhaps maybe make it more like Cutting Words, but for mental saving throws; as in, the whole "you can use it after the roll but before the DM says if it succeeds or fails".

It is a 14th level ability, so it's probably not a huge issue if it goes against that, but forcing failed saving throws--especially mental ones--is already pretty hefty as-is, considering this is roughly 5/short rest.

This was my original plan, but since it's someone else's save against your DC you'd always know if it succeeded or failed as soon as you heard the number. So I figured I'd just leave it as it was. I do think this one is a bit strong, but am unsure how to tweak it, since I really enjoy the flavor of a jester casting a resisted spell, only to reveal that you didn't "get it" in the first place.

What if -- say the target saves, then the round AFTER you can expend your die and force them to save again as a bonus action. You get another shot at getting them, but it's delayed and takes some effort?

Overall, I do think this is good.

Thank you!