PDA

View Full Version : Geeky Projects

Trog
2007-09-25, 12:47 PM
Anyone else have some traditionally geeky projects they are currently working on?

Thes recently sorted out her hundreds of minis and has been spray priming them if weather outside permits. I have been casting plaster dungeons tiles and walls to make a modular system to assemble dungeons. Specifically the dungeon in the module I am DMing. And we both have been trying to tackle painting minis - which she got me back into since not doing it since high school. Very fun. I am returning the favor by making sure she gets to see all the episodes of Firefly.

So how about you? :smallbiggrin:

Winterwind
2007-09-25, 12:50 PM
Well, I should be working on writing a supplemental/adventure book for a certain German RPG (the publisher is already getting slightly impatient, methinks), but currently can't, because I'm currently writing up my diploma thesis in theoretical physics, while simultaneously distracting myself with this very forum.
I think that qualifies. :smallbiggrin:

wxdruid
2007-09-25, 12:51 PM
I've been stapling my coins into their little cardboard holders....one at a time and squeezing the staples down so they don't ruin the plastic pages.

I have at least 8 three ring binders full of coins.

Hopefully I'll finish watching Firefly tomorrow, then on to Serenity.

Glaivemaster
2007-09-25, 12:51 PM
Well, if minis count, I'm currently in the process of painting the model I created using random spare parts. Apart from that, I got nothing :smallfrown:

Winterwind
2007-09-25, 12:56 PM
Well, if minis count, I'm currently in the process of painting the model I created using random spare parts. Apart from that, I got nothing :smallfrown:Oh, right, forgot about that. Add to my report above that I would like very much to finally put my Classic BattleTech minis together, but completely lack the time to do so. Will happen as soon as I have my thesis' first draft ready, though.

And I likely shouldn't forget I'm constantly trying to organise some StarCraft Broodwar gaming in this forum here, either.

...wow. Am I really that much of a geek? :smalleek:
...Nah. I just have hobbies, that's all. :smallbiggrin:

Darken Rahl
2007-09-25, 12:57 PM
Been working on this for a bit. It's for my Witch King miniature.

http://www.darkenrahl.net/albums/foliage/DSC_8388.jpg
http://www.darkenrahl.net/albums/foliage/DSC_8390.jpg
http://www.darkenrahl.net/albums/foliage/DSC_8393.jpg

Since that, I've colored the nasty brown dirt grey, and added lots and lots of battle rubble.

eidreff
2007-09-25, 12:57 PM
I'm creating a game world for a campaign. I got one player who's an old hand at D&D and a couple of newbies, so level 1 here we come!

Also writing a book in a rather desultory half-hearted way, I scrapped part of my planned structure and can't see where to take it now!

bosssmiley
2007-09-25, 01:04 PM

Since that, I've colored the nasty brown dirt grey, and added lots and lots of battle rubble.

*kow-tows to Darken Rahl's uber-geekery* :smallcool:

Traditionally geeky - not that you'd be interested in. Models, floorplans, sketching, writing. Low level geek stuff. :smallredface:

onasuma
2007-09-25, 01:05 PM
I gotta catch them all. Other than that, my giant nurgle slug, my campain world, and making the best LARP costume ever pretty much covers it.

Darken Rahl
2007-09-25, 01:06 PM
*kow-tows to Darken Rahl's uber-geekery* :smallcool:

Traditionally geeky - not that you'd be interested in. Models, floorplans, sketching, writing. Low level geek stuff. :smallredface:

I do floorplans every day of my life at work, so I hope they don't count towards geek points, otherwise I'll die sad and alone! :o

Muz
2007-09-25, 01:20 PM
I'm working on a Wiki for my homebrew campaign that includes places, major/minor (but not REALLY minor) NPCs, researched spells, events, timelines, etc. ...With the help a player, of course. :smallsmile:

Armoury99
2007-09-25, 01:26 PM
Setting design for three seperate campaign worlds, with no idea when or if I'll ever get to show them off. Also writing a massive introductory scenario (free and gratis) for a Planescape website. Oh - and helping my girlfriend level in World of Warcraft...

There's probably even more (and worse) stuff if I really thought about it. :smallamused:

valadil
2007-09-25, 01:27 PM
My miniature habits are pretty tame. I don't even ink them, I just paint 'em all in one sitting.

I have been working on a way to play DnD online though with svg, and ajax. This sort of online tabletop is a project I've had in my mind for a while and this is the most recent incarnation of it. I've lost some steam since DnD4.0 is supposed to include an online table top and I've been dating more than usual lately, but I still intend to finish it.

If anyone is curious, take a look at http://svg.thuranni.net and lemme know what you think. At the moment there's no ability to draw on the map, and the chat isn't working, but this should give you a good idea of what's in store. Oh yeah, only firefox is supported and that's not going to change. (Basically I have a limited amount of developing time and if I try to get this working in IE or other browsers too I'll never finish, especially with svg support in its infancy.)

Trog
2007-09-25, 02:28 PM

Awesome! What did you use to create the ruins? I currently have been modeling out of molds from Hirsch Arts (fieldstone set or something like that).

ocato
2007-09-25, 02:42 PM
Does browsing the interwebs for a local D&D group (and nerdy ladies) count? If not, I guess I am currently berift of nerdy projects. Woe is me.

Darken Rahl
2007-09-25, 02:43 PM
Awesome! What did you use to create the ruins? I currently have been modeling out of molds from Hirsch Arts (fieldstone set or something like that).

That's Hirsch's tower ruin set. It's an awesome mold, and if you don't mind a little bit of not-matching-up-ness, you can do a lot of different things with it.

reorith
2007-09-25, 07:47 PM
i'm playing a game of chess move by move with a dude in cleveland. after each move, we upload the pictures to a shared photobucket.

de-trick
2007-09-25, 08:04 PM
what about coming up for backgrounds for the next 3 campaigns of my groups

zeratul
2007-09-25, 08:10 PM
Does listening to "Blind Guardian" count?
:smallbiggrin:
Other than that Getting caught up on my death note, and playing time splitters.

ForzaFiori
2007-09-25, 08:17 PM
other than this forum, I actually lead a very un-geeky life.
I run CC and play soccer, hang w/ my friends, and hit on hot chicks.

just like any other kid XD

Syka
2007-09-25, 08:57 PM
Introducing my boy to Monty Python and being introduced to Indiana Jones, this weekend. Discussing video games. Reading Plato's Apology in the original. Discussing ancient languages.

Basically...pretty much my ENTIRE relationship/life at the moment is one huge geek fest. :smallbiggrin: He's planning on introducing me to some video games, and I've got eeeeevery intention of introducing the boy to D&D. In fact, the weekend I go home there is a good chance I'll be running a one shot.

If considering playing a D&D game bonding time isn't geeky, I don't know what is. ;)

Cheers,
Syka

adanedhel9
2007-09-25, 09:42 PM
Currently, just maintaining my campaign wiki and updating it whenever I get inspiration (hmm, dice rolling plugin. I seriously just thought of this now. Now I need to go code.)

In the past, I've attempted building various desktop apps to make running my games a little easier. Initiative tracking and attack/damage rolling are the two I would come back to every once in a while. My last attempt at the attack/damage I actually finished... but within about 5 minutes of finishing I came up with about a dozen situations that the application wouldn't handle well, if at all. Back to the drawing board...

Brickwall
2007-09-25, 09:51 PM
Projects? No, I don't have time for the big stuff. It's all small geeky things here and there.

Thes Hunter
2007-09-25, 10:10 PM
Anyone else have some traditionally geeky projects they are currently working on?

Thes recently sorted out her hundreds of minis and has been spray priming them if weather outside permits. I have been casting plaster dungeons tiles and walls to make a modular system to assemble dungeons. Specifically the dungeon in the module I am DMing. And we both have been trying to tackle painting minis - which she got me back into since not doing it since high school. Very fun. I am returning the favor by making sure she gets to see all the episodes of Firefly.

So how about you? :smallbiggrin:

I wouldn't necessarily say hundreds. It is at least a couple thousand points of Empire, and various minis from other armies and non-GW minis that I have picked up here and there on sale. Gen con this year was my biggest non-GW buying spree.

But yeah, even though my minis (in all the various boxes they were packed in) were in a box suitable for two people to carry. I still have more left at home, that I forgot weren't packed in that box. Scary huh?

tannish2
2007-09-26, 12:13 AM
wow. and i thought I was one... well i guess its the little things that count.... does making a WC3 custom map count?

The Orange Zergling
2007-09-26, 12:44 AM
Once I get some more black primer, I'll finish undercoating a Terminator squad from 40k... 'cide from that, nothing really.

Lykan
2007-09-26, 01:20 AM
I'm compiling monster and dungeon ideas for D&D during school when the teachers are talking.

Maybe they'll actually be stated out one day. :P

Youngblood
2007-09-26, 01:24 AM
-Working on a complete, accurate geisha costume (well...maiko, technically) for a convention in February, without resorting to buying really expensive authentic stuff from Japan.
-Various writing projects, including a collection of poems and a really terrible novel I've been working on for awhile.
-Creating homebrew world for better, cooler oriental campaigns.
-Trying to learn Chinese, with limited success.

Not to mention getting together with my friends and beating each other with sticks on the weekends, and fleeing from other friends of mine who are trying to recruit me into the 501st. *shudder*

LesterLester
2007-09-26, 02:35 AM
Hmmm, currently i'm writing the script for a graphic-novel set in some steam-punk scenario(a friend will do the drawing, fortunately),
well and I'm trying to get some inspiration for my matrix-campaign(very dark, matrix-movie's f*cked up-factor multiplied with 100), i guess these are kinda geeky projects, oh and I have to review the damn kanji for my japanese-language test in october.:smallsigh:

Winterwind
2007-09-26, 05:43 AM
Does listening to "Blind Guardian" count?If it does, my Geek Level has just raised even more.
Don't do this to me, I don't want to die alone! :smallbiggrin:

SMEE
2007-09-26, 06:04 AM
http://sf2nes.smeenet.org

This should say enough about my geeky project. :smallredface:

A new version is due to be released by the end of october at most. :smalltongue:

potatocubed
2007-09-27, 02:51 PM
Let's see...

- I've got three RPG writing gigs I need to be working on*, and two more 'when they're done' writing projects that should neatly supplement my income.

* One of which I need to get finished this evening. *procrastinates*

- I'm running a game of Exalted on these boards and a game of RuneQuest IRL.

- Getting fit(-ish) through DDR... except I've demolished my pad again. The time has come to shell out for a metal one.

- Approximately a million billion miniatures to paint... where do they all come from? :smallconfused:

- Does World of Warcraft count as a geeky project?

- Teaching myself Japanese.

- And it's Nanowrimo (http://www.nanowrimo.org) in November! Because I haven't got enough to write...

Telonius
2007-09-27, 03:01 PM
Working on a fantasy book, halfway done. Mark my words, I will have my place at the top of the geek hierarchy (http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=17898)! :smallbiggrin:

CMOTDibbler
2007-09-27, 03:40 PM
I am currently working on a large DnD world(and have been for several months now). I wouldn't take me so long except for all the npcs I need to push the pc's in the right direction

Syka
2007-09-27, 04:54 PM
Let's see...

- I've got three RPG writing gigs I need to be working on*, and two more 'when they're done' writing projects that should neatly supplement my income.

- I'm running a game of Exalted on these boards and a game of RuneQuest IRL.

- Getting fit(-ish) through DDR... except I've demolished my pad again. The time has come to shell out for a metal one.

- Approximately a million billion miniatures to paint... where do they all come from? :smallconfused:

- Teaching myself Japanese.

- And it's Nanowrimo (http://www.nanowrimo.org) in November! Because I haven't got enough to write...

Ouuuuu, another WriMo! Yay!

I'm doing it as well. Currently attempting to rope my sister into it with limited success. Talked to the boy and he was willing (reluctantly) to do it with me, but I told him as long as he acts as an encourager, I don't mind if he passes. :smallwink:

Cheers,
Syka

zeratul
2007-09-27, 05:14 PM
If it does, my Geek Level has just raised even more.
Don't do this to me, I don't want to die alone! :smallbiggrin:

Hahahaha, my plan has worked! Winterwind shall never have a girlfriend! (:smalltongue: )

Winterwind
2007-09-28, 09:52 AM
Hahahaha, my plan has worked! Winterwind shall never have a girlfriend! (:smalltongue: )Meh, the entire trick is to get them involved in the geeky projects. That nullifies the geek/nongeek repulsion effect. :smallwink:

Amotis
2007-09-28, 11:09 AM
I forget what book it was in (might of been Hunt For The Red October) but it was there were I got the pretty geeky idea of orginizing my classical collection on the quality of the performance and the imperfections within.

Thes Hunter
2007-09-28, 11:11 AM
Let's see...

Ooooooo who do you write for? huh? huh? huh? huh? *is all pesky internet fan curious* :smallwink:

Are you going to get one with the back handle? Because even at the lowish settings I had mine at (Before it got all stolen) I was finding a back bar really useful. Also, the plastic mats slide a bit too much for my feet to move as fast as they need to on some of the faster songs.

Yeah, I know the feeling. While unpacking mine, I started wondering wherever I had gotten the money for all these things. Then I remembered, I traded in my magic cards into the store I worked for, and leveraged my 50% off employee discount. So magic cards I bought for less then retail, sold back at Scrye rape me prices, turned into 50% off merchandise.

No. No it doesn't. It is just a Time Waster. :smallwink:

One of the big reasons me and Trog aren't going to play WOW is because we want the time to paint all the miniatures I just brought back. :smallbiggrin:

Kaelaroth
2007-09-28, 11:34 AM
I'm not really very geeky. I quite like RPGs and like sci-fi and fantasy novels and related esoterica...but not to the level where you can be incredibly geeky. I am generally labelled one because I despise soccer, am good at practically anything academic I put my mind to, and have an obsession with neatness.

Syka
2007-09-28, 11:58 AM
Meh, the entire trick is to get them involved in the geeky projects. That nullifies the geek/nongeek repulsion effect. :smallwink:

QFT. My boyfriend and I have both been converting each other to our respective geek/nerd activities. :) Actually, he said I'm the nerdiest girl he's ever dated.

And meant it was a compliment. :smallsmile: It's just a matter of finding someone as geeky as you are. ;)

Cheers,
Syka

Totally Guy
2007-10-13, 11:39 AM
I'm working on a manor house, maybe I can use it for a game somehow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/macdonnell/Manor2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/macdonnell/Manor1.jpg

I need to do the furniture, and rooms properly.

Reinboom
2007-10-13, 12:10 PM
I always carry about a white notebook with multiple divider tabs and a lot of ruled paper in my sidebag and page sleeves that hold many many character sheets for various games. A considerable amount of the paper is used to write in programming notes and up to entire sections of code (and even a whole short program in a couple cases) into it in pencil for when I don't have access to my PC.

Also in these notes is song ideas, a pokemon card game re-idealization and redesign, various notes on other games, spell choices and feat choices, or point choices (for point based games). Etc. etc. It's a very precious folder to me.

I have constant small programs and projects I do all the time just to push my talents (though at times, too much) for the purposes of programming and just strict ability to adapt freely.

I'm currently trying to work on more unrestricted art, combining different strange elements and just trying to get better at spilling my imagination.

And as soon as I get money flow again, I shall start my project of changing my hair color once a week for 6 weeks, and going to different parts of this city just to examine reactions and general treatment.

Miraqariftsky
2007-10-13, 12:16 PM
Does trying to read cover to cover and back to back Tolstoy's War and Peace and Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment during just one week count?

Jibar
2007-10-13, 12:23 PM
Well, I'm seriously considering making a campaign setting for D&D based on the internet. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=3341003)
I was going to do away with spell casting classes and replace them with Security Systems, Hackers, Virsuses and one other I can't decide.
Then each area would be a different empire. For example, the Wikipedia Project is a tyranical force of knowledge, enslaving people to serve the all mighty Wikipedia Admins and enforcing their rule through Red Banner deletion forces.

Dammit. I need to stop letting ideas run through my head.

CrazedGoblin
2007-10-13, 12:30 PM
Well, I'm seriously considering making a campaign setting for D&D based on the internet. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=3341003)
I was going to do away with spell casting classes and replace them with Security Systems, Hackers, Virsuses and one other I can't decide.
Then each area would be a different empire. For example, the Wikipedia Project is a tyranical force of knowledge, enslaving people to serve the all mighty Wikipedia Admins and enforcing their rule through Red Banner deletion forces.

Dammit. I need to stop letting ideas run through my head.

i use my Delete win 32 file attack, take an antivirus save or be destroyed!

Jibar
2007-10-13, 12:33 PM
i use my Delete win 32 file attack, take an antivirus save or be destroyed!

You're gonna be impressed when I say that you would actually have to make saves for your anti-virus software, aren't you?

Jokes
2007-10-14, 02:26 AM
Whenever I have the time and money, I'm case modding. I haven't had much money recently though...

I bought 16 mini-itx motherboards the other day, so my next project might be to cluster a few of them for my folding team. Failing that, expect a lot more of my household appliances to have computers in them :smallcool:

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-10-14, 04:03 AM
I'm in the process of creating a huge battle between 20 characters, all of ECL 30, a few with armies composed of the leadership and epic leadership feats in castles and airships they all bought. These characters and this battle has little to no hope of ever seeing daylight, and I knew it since the moment I rolled up character no. 1. I feel like I need a girlfriend.

Reinboom
2007-10-14, 05:17 AM
I'm in the process of creating a huge battle between 20 characters, all of ECL 30, a few with armies composed of the leadership and epic leadership feats in castles and airships they all bought. These characters and this battle has little to no hope of ever seeing daylight, and I knew it since the moment I rolled up character no. 1. I feel like I need a girlfriend.

That's a rather attractive feat and I would so join you in that game to be able to just play the characters.
:smallamused: