PDA

View Full Version : Useless imaginative fun with spells

Aaedimus
2019-02-01, 08:24 PM
We had a magic horn that teleported us to another plane. (The team didn't know what it did, only that it was magic) I put a magic mouth on the mouthpiece so that whenever someone put their lips on it, it would kiss them and than say "so, you want a kiss big boy? You dirty dog you."

It created about 10 minutes of super funny confusion, because the DM read it on a note I slipped him and the party had no idea.

I also had allot of fun with unseen servants in that campaign.

What are some other fun inventive ways you've used spells in your campaign?

Rukelnikov
2019-02-01, 09:18 PM
I've used minor illusion to instigate brawls at taverns, ports, markets, etc more times than I can count.

ImproperJustice
2019-02-01, 11:22 PM
My Sorceror always made it a point to light torches and lanterns with his bare hands via Prestidigitation.

Using Skywrite to have a two way conversation from several miles away.
Then using it to call out the main bad guy, complete with rude gesture and arrow pointing where he could find us.

Sending to ferry messages to loved ones over great distances.
Party Clerics and Wizards are often mobbed in remote settlements and make a fair bit of coin via this spell.

JoeJ
2019-02-01, 11:44 PM
Back in 3e I played a wizard who was bald. He used to cast Light on the top of his head and call it his dome light.

Misterwhisper
2019-02-02, 01:35 AM
Played a warlock who was a total neat freak. Went path of the chain for no other reason than to have a familiar who floated around me and used prestidigitation “clean” in everything I touched.

Dalebert
2019-02-02, 12:04 PM
My illusionist was notorious for using magic for frivolous things. He'd cast Seeming on the whole party and just make everyone look beautifully dressed and well-groomed. It wasn't a waste because that meant he could change their appearance at any time like to infiltrate an enemy compound looking like locals.

He's fond of celebrating after a victorious battle by making a Silent Image of some pastries and then making them real for one minute with shadow magic. Zero calorie treats because they vanish from your stomach! He has Silent Image at-will from being 18th level wizard so he can create real objects whenever he wants trivially.

Mercurias
2019-02-02, 12:34 PM
I had a Wu Jin Mystic who practiced asceticism and used Prestidigitation as a way to enjoy the flavor of good food and wine while he was subsisting on unsalted rice and barley tea.

Jophiel
2019-02-02, 12:42 PM
A vain character using Prestigitation to stay clean is nothing too new, I'd guess, but I tried to take it up a notch by using Shape Water (plus Create Water if necessary) to make an ice mirror and check my hair and makeup mid-dungeon with my Cleric/Sorcerer of Sune. Sure, I could just bring a mirror but what's the fun in that?

DarkKnightJin
2019-02-03, 12:19 PM
I used Prestidigitation's "make a mark" ability to add a company/organization logo to my armor to help sell my disguise as a company guard, to walk through town without issue.

Apparently it worked, since the check the DM made to see through it was a natural 1. The dice gods approved of my ingenuity.

KorvinStarmast
2019-02-03, 02:24 PM
Our bard entertained a bunch of goblins / Batiri whom we encountered in the jungles of Chult (ToA) with home movies. We didn't speak Goblin, but he did cast comprehend languages on himself. So he used (with prompting from other party members) silent image to produce/present 3d holograms of the various things we had done as we traveled the jungles of Chult (to include our frequet destruction of undead, that place is lousy with undead) to show them we were not just not their enemies, but on the same side. The DM enjoyed this, and kept providing the bard with some of the commentary from the Batiri, pro and con, of our journey to meeting them. It was a tough room, but by the second or third image, or so, they were all sitting on the ground in a semi circle, enjoying the show. My only regret was not having popcorn available.

It was really fun, and no blood was spilled during that encounter. We also got a token / thing from the elder of that group that was written in goblin / Batiri that said basically "these dudes are weird, but they can be worked with. If they want to parley, it is good to parley."

Home movies from Silent Image Studios. Our bard rox.

ImproperJustice
2019-02-03, 06:49 PM
Awhile back someone realized that Gentle Repose could be used to preserve slain livestock in excellent fresh condition for long journeys.

RSP
2019-02-04, 12:07 AM
Current character is a bit vain and uses Minor Illusion to make it sound like multiple people recognize him (with his fictitious title), whenever he walks into a crowded bar or inn. So essentially he walks in and it sounds like multiple people saying “Isn’t that Lord Voltaire?” “Gods, that’s Edgar Voltaire!” or what have you.

Let’s him then play it off like he’s famous, while causing the patrons to become curious about why they don’t know him and, voila!, he gets to talk about himself while getting his drinks paid for.

Another fantastic useless spell effect: cast Modify Memory on sleeping fellow PCs during your shift at watch. If they pass their save, they have no idea you did anything; no harm, no foul.

If they fail, give them a memory of an in-dream visit from their deity, in which the deity prophecies that you’ll save their life in the future and, therefore, it is of the utmost importance that they make sure you live so you can fulfill said foretelling. After a week or so of travel, everyone is making sure you stay alive.

Chronos
2019-02-04, 10:07 AM
It hasn't come up yet, but I'm still waiting for the right opportunity, when my hyperpatriotic gnome steps foot onto some strange land that he can justify as having "discovered". He'll make a grandiose gesture of planting a (nonexistant) flag, which will suddenly appear (via Minor Illusion), so he can claim that land on behalf of the Empire.

And my next character, whenever I get around to playing him, is going to be a bard and something of a braggart, and I'm planning to get Continual Flame cast on his rings, so it looks like his fist is on fire.