PDA

View Full Version : Spell list needs review

Gadzooks27
2019-02-02, 05:17 AM
I'm working on a class for my current campaign. The thematic premise is one of a mad scientist type with powers derived from ectoplasm (my working concept, at least). But definitely meant to feel like a weird magic, things like stitching grafts, reversing gravity, teleportation, and manipulating the mind.
Their function in the party would be a leader; much like the cleric and bard, this class should make good use of their teammates.
Half caster, warlock set up. Three archetypes called Fields of Study (Entropy, Transference, and Cognition. Each will have an expanded spell list, so bare that in mind.

Here is my spell list in progress, please help me fill gaps and cut out the fat.

Cantrips
Blade Barrier, Firebolt, Guidance, Magic Stone (XG), Mending, Message, Minor Illusion, Mold Earth (XG), Ray of Frost, Resistance, Spare The Dying.

1st Level Spells
Bane, Charm Person, Chromatic Orb, Color Spray, Create or Destroy Water, Cure Wounds, Dissonant Whispers, Expeditious Retreat, Fog Cloud, Grease, Ray of Sickness, Unseen Servant

2nd Level Spells
Aid, Blindness/Deafness, Calm Emptions, Enhance Ability, Hold Person, Invisibility, Knock, Lesser Restoration, Levitate, Scorching Ray, See Invisibility, Spider Climb, Spiritual Weapon

3rd Level Spells
Counter Spell, Feign Death, Fly, Gaseous Form, Haste, Lightning Bolt, Protection From Energy, Slow, Stinking Cloud,* Water Breathing, Water Walk

4th Level Spells
Black Tentacles, Ectoplasmic Form*, Fabricate, Greater Invisibility, Polymorph, Sickening Radiance (XG), Stone Shape, Stoneskin

5th Level Spells
Cloud Kill, Conjure Volley, Dream, Hold Monster, Passwall, Rary's Telepathic Bond, Skill Empowerment (XG), Synaptic Static (XG), Transmute Rock (XG),

6th Level Spells
Arcane Gate, Chain Lightning, Create Homunculus (XG), Disintegrate, Eyebite, Harm,* Irresistible Dance (XG), Mass Suggestion, Mental Prison (XG), Otiluke's Freezing Sphere, Soul Cage (XG),

7th Level Spells
Etherealness, Plane Shift, Prismatic Spray, Project Image, Reverse Gravity, Simulacrum

8th Level Spells
Animal Shapes, Clone, Dominate Monster, Feeblemind, Incendiary Cloud, Mind Blank

9th Level Spells
Foresight, Gate, Mass Heal, Psychic Scream (XG) Time Stop, True Polymorph

If interested, these are the expanded spell lists for each archetype:

Within the field of entropy is the idea that everything falls apart, but that this constant state of decay and rebirth is predictable. You find yourself luckier than most, and you seem to see the weak spots in everything.

Entropy expanded spell list

Cantrip: True Strike
1st: Inflict wounds, Shield
2nd: Ray of Enfeeblement, Shatter
3rd: Animate Dead, Dispel Magic
4th: Blight, Death Ward
5th: Contagion, Negative Energy Flood (XG)

The field of transference is about energy shifting from one position to another, be it life energy, plasma states, or a whole person shifting from one position to another.

Transference expanded spell list

Cantrip: Shocking Grasp
1st: Burning Hands, Thunderwave
2nd: Misty Step, Heat Metal
3rd: Lightning Arrow, Vampiric Touch
4th: Dimension Door, Fire Shield
5th: Cone of Cold, Telekinesis

The mind is a delicate thing. As you explore the cognition field of study, you come to see how easily a person's own brain can deceive them with ease.

Cognition expanded spell list

Cantrip: Friends
1st: Sleep, Silent Image
2nd: Detect Thoughts, Suggestion
3rd: Fear, Hypnotic Pattern
4th: Confusion, Phantasmal Killer
5th: Dominate Person, Modify Memory

*- A spell I am building for the class.