PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorm: Database of crappy prereqs

Zaq
2019-02-02, 11:51 AM
This is going to take a lot of polish. I'm in a hurry, but I don't want to let this sudden idea drift off into a forgotten neverland. I'll have to revisit this in a bit.

Anyway, here's what I'm envisioning: a guide (or a spreadsheet or whatever format) that tells you what things use crappy PHB feats as prereqs. So you could use this to look up what requires Athletic or Skill Focus or Dodge or Great Fortitude as prereqs. The goal would be that if your build requires you to take some crappy feats as prereqs, you could use this resource to see what other things use those same prereq feats, making it easier for you to find ways to make those prereq feats do double duty. An awful lot of splatbooks demand awful PHB feats as prereqs, after all, so there's always a chance at overlap that might not be easy to see if you don't have every book memorized.

This would, obviously, be a major undertaking and would almost certainly be reliant upon crowdsourcing here. And to be entirely honest, I don't think I have the time or the energy to be the brains of this project right this very second (maybe in a few months?). My main purpose in posting this thread today is threefold: first, I want to see if anyone has already put together such a thing (or a start of one). Second, I want to see if anyone else thinks that this is a cool idea that's worth the hours needed to make it happen. Third, I want to make sure that I don't forget it, even if I can't commit to it right this minute.

Is my idea clear at all? For scope, I'm thinking we'd start with just the PHB feats because they're by far the worst offenders, and then we'd comb through the splatbooks looking for feats and PrCs that require PHB feats as prereqs. We'd then organize those feats and PrCs by their prereqs, so you'd look up Dodge (for example) and see all the stuff that needs Dodge as a prereq, helping you narrow your search for what else to jam into your build after you already needed Dodge for a primary PrC. To keep the scale reasonable, I'd say we'd stick to non-magazine material first and only bring in magazine stuff after that's all done (if at all).

Anyway. Like I said, I'm in a hurry and I'll have to come back, but hopefully I can at least inspire some discussion. Anyone?

Mike Miller
2019-02-02, 11:55 AM
This sounds useful. I can't guarantee input, but if I find extra time I would contribute.

Chainguy
2019-02-02, 12:21 PM
Check "Chet Erez's wonderful d20 Indices", there's searchable PDFs on feats, PrCs and many others with prereqs listed with many things from dragon mags included. I don't know how detailed you want your chart to be but it should help a bit.

HouseRules
2019-02-02, 12:23 PM
Check "Chet Erez's wonderful d20 Indices", there's searchable PDFs on feats, PrCs and many others with prereqs listed with many things from dragon mags included. I don't know how detailed you want your chart to be but it should help a bit.

Those list only have 3.5 material; intentionally missing Psionic Powers and Martial Maneuver. There is no 3.0 indices available for those that may want them.