PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Sorcerer with speech impairment working?

Caylean
2019-02-02, 07:13 PM
Hey Guys,
I am quite new to the whole DnD and have found quite the love in making a little quirky Charakters.
Even with an INT 9 my Fighter is not the brightest in MANY situations. Even worst when it comes to WIS he only has a 6 ... makes quite some fun.

Right now I am planning a Sorcerer who has a bit of a speech impairment. Kind of like the guy from Big Bang Theory who always messes up his r with an y ...

Fuyy-y of blows, dyink a gyeatea healing potion and so on.

For a non magic class this is no problem, but what when it comes to spell classes that have to use Verbal components to make a cast?

Could a Sorcerer still cast spells, even if he would have a speech impairment???

Any ideas about it?

Kind Regards

jleonardwv
2019-02-02, 07:18 PM
Magic mithile
Thleep?

JackPhoenix
2019-02-02, 07:23 PM
Sure. As long as the voice pattern is consistent enough.

"The words themselves aren’t the source of the spell’s power; rather, the particular combination of sounds, with specific pitch and resonance, sets the threads of magic in motion."

ImproperJustice
2019-02-02, 07:23 PM
Supposedly, Green Arrow’s bow is misaligned to shoot at a slight angle off the mark, in case anyone ever tried to use it against him, and he trained for years to overcome the difference.

So your Sorceror, who uses magic naturally justbhas his own unique spin on invoking the words of power to cast. Should work just fine.

Coffee_Dragon
2019-02-02, 07:52 PM
Supposedly, Green Arrow’s bow is misaligned to shoot at a slight angle off the mark, in case anyone ever tried to use it against him, and he trained for years to overcome the difference.

A training he can instantaneously unlearn when he picks up a bow other than his own? :smalltongue:

I see no real reason not to allow this. Maybe just in the special case that the precision of incantations was a big deal in the setting and everyone at the table was big on fidelity to such detail.

Rukelnikov
2019-02-02, 08:33 PM
A friend of mine played a wizard with a severe speech impediment, that would only speak properly when casting.

RAW idt there's any problem anyway.

ImproperJustice
2019-02-02, 08:50 PM
A training he can instantaneously unlearn when he picks up a bow other than his own? :smalltongue:

I see no real reason not to allow this. Maybe just in the special case that the precision of incantations was a big deal in the setting and everyone at the table was big on fidelity to such detail.

Super Heroes right?
They don’t have to make sense :)

PCs in D&D are basically super heroes:

Level 1-4: Pulp (Indiana Jones / Shadow)
Level 5-10: Street Level (Daredevil / Jessica Jones)
Level 11-15: City Level: (Guardians otG/ X-Men)
Level 16-20: Planetary Scale (Justice League / Avengers)

Caylean
2019-02-03, 07:01 AM
Many thanks for your informations and examples!

Makes a lot of sense.

Great, then i can have my fun charakter ;)

Coffee_Dragon
2019-02-03, 09:25 AM
Great, then i can have my fun charakter ;)

It's not actually us you have to clear it with. :)

Jophiel
2019-02-03, 10:33 AM
A friend of mine played a wizard with a severe speech impediment, that would only speak properly when casting.
That would make sense to me. Like singers who speak with a thick accent but sing much more clearly. Or people who use singing techniques to help control stuttering. The verbal part of spellcasting could use a different part of the brain than when speaking normally.

That works for wizards anyway whose arcane power is more "scientific" and would be much the same from wizard to wizard. Sorcerers are more innate and, while the spells still have verbal components, if a sorcerer is talking with a lisp and getting spell effects then that must be what works for him to channel the power. Heck, maybe for him it wouldn't work without the lisp.

Corran
2019-02-03, 10:40 AM
If you want some comedic value out of it (well, depending on your taste ofc), make sure to pick the inspiwing leadew feat and have a look at the Pontius Pilatus character from the Monty Python's Holy Grail movie.

Particle_Man
2019-02-03, 12:08 PM
That said, if you want the speech impediment to have an effect on your spellcasting you could take the wild magic archetype and have that (or really, one’s internalized lack of confidence if you want to add a layer of complexity) be the flavour text reason why your spells sometimes have an additional random effect.

Fryy
2019-02-03, 03:00 PM
If you want some comedic value out of it (well, depending on your taste ofc), make sure to pick the inspiwing leadew feat and have a look at the Pontius Pilatus character from the Monty Python's Holy Grail movie.

Actually, that was from Monty Python's 'Life of Brian' movie. "Weeweece Bawabbus!"

Rukelnikov
2019-02-03, 04:12 PM
That said, if you want the speech impediment to have an effect on your spellcasting you could take the wild magic archetype and have that (or really, one’s internalized lack of confidence if you want to add a layer of complexity) be the flavour text reason why your spells sometimes have an additional random effect.

This sounds awesome

Sigreid
2019-02-03, 04:36 PM
My limited understanding is that stuttering often comes from a disjoin between the brain composing what to say and the delivery system. If the stuttering for this character is of that kind, they may not stutter at all when casting spells as it's exactly the same thing said exactly the same way every time. Essentially, there's nothing being assembled during use.

Corran
2019-02-03, 04:51 PM
Actually, that was from Monty Python's 'Life of Brian' movie. "Weeweece Bawabbus!"
Ah yes. ''I am sorry sir, we don't have anyone by that name...''