PDA

View Full Version : Voodoo Witch doctor

Stygofthedump
2019-02-03, 02:56 AM
What’s a good class that can be fluffed to be a Voodoo Witch doctor? Cleric for spirit guardians?
Pointing the bone as toll the dead?
Wizard?
No multi class I’m afraid.

Mystical-man
2019-02-03, 03:02 AM
What’s a good class that can be fluffed to be a Voodoo Witch doctor? Cleric for spirit guardians?
Pointing the bone as toll the dead?
Wizard?
No multi class I’m afraid.

This could go multiple ways really, it depends on how you vision this character. I would say that, for a voodoo witch doctor, Circle of spores druid could be fun for the things it brings. It adds some damage and abilities to animate the dead to druids so it can be pretty effective. Plus druids are already nature lovers and you can argue that voodoo witch doctors have some level of a druid feel to them so it'd work IMO. You don't even need to refluff that much stuff

Dungeon-noob
2019-02-03, 03:35 AM
A player of mine recently showed me a homebrew witch doctor class. Don't think i can upload it here, but i think it was from dmguild. Maybe worth checking out at least?

MrStabby
2019-02-03, 04:52 AM
Death domain cleric would be my first puck I think.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-02-03, 05:01 AM
I will do it with a lore Bard, dancing and shanting like crazy

Ventruenox
2019-02-03, 08:53 AM
Lore Bard. My last character was a Voodoo Witch Doctor.

In my last campaign, I ran a multiclass Bardlock (Raven Queen Tomelock) just for access to Guidance, Invocations (no EB), and some 3rd party spells. While the multiclass provided extra utility, mobility, and an insane amount of RP awesomeness, the playstyle was that of a Bard.

Vicious Mockery/Cutting Words is the go to for on demand flavorful curses, as Bestow Curse will eat a spell slot and use that precious Concentration. Print up a list to RP as an easy reference. Ritual Caster will be one of the best feats you can take, for both theme and utility. (I had an albino black mamba familiar named Daveed Coverdale) Proficiency in a Herbalism Kit will let you make fun potions for your party. Wherever possible, refluff your spells to fit your character concept.

Work with your DM. For a Magical Secret, I modified Summon Woodland Creatures to summon Skeletons or Zombies instead.

sophontteks
2019-02-03, 09:02 AM
Warlocks have a lot they can offer. Unlimited disguise self, hexes, curses, invisible familiars. Multiple archtypes can work depending on what exactly you are looking for.

Draz74
2019-02-03, 09:25 AM
Yeah, I don't know how well it works out mechanically, but flavor-wise I think Fey Warlock fits great for a Voodoo Witch Doctor.

RogueJK
2019-02-03, 09:32 AM
Tomelock sounds like just the ticket. Hex for minor curses, Sign of Ill Omen for larger curses, and ritual casting with Book of Ancient Secrets.

Naanomi
2019-02-03, 11:13 AM
I second Warlock... many of the patrons could be a passable option depending on specific fluff (Archfey, GOO, Hexblade, Undying...)

sophontteks
2019-02-03, 12:46 PM
Tomelock sounds like just the ticket. Hex for minor curses, Sign of Ill Omen for larger curses, and ritual casting with Book of Ancient Secrets.
Bestow Curse is a touch spell. Delivering a touch spell doesn't break imp invisibility. Who needs ritual spells anyway. :smalltongue:

Shuruke
2019-02-03, 01:00 PM
I have always liked doing swamp land druid when I play witch doctor characters

Depending on what spells u want land has options and gets the one short rest a long rest feature wizards have.

One of my current players is a 4 element monk shaman and since we started at 4 she took magic intiate druid for the shilei spell guidance and entangle.

As DM I let players describe how abilities look so her water whip his her arm turning into a vine while she whips her hand at someone

Kinda like the stretchy street fighter guy. Which I'm pretty sure was her inspiration for character cuz we played it a bit before character creation

tmjr6
2019-02-03, 01:18 PM
If your DM is ok with Matt Mercer's Blood Hunter, I made a witch doctor character by playing a Variant Human with the Magic Initiate (Druid) feat and took the Profane Soul option. Great Old One, Archfey, Undying, and a few others would work flavor wise too. Add the Hermit background. Bonus, you get to be SAD too if you take Shillelagh as one of your cantrips.

NecroDancer
2019-02-03, 06:26 PM
Maybe an archfey warlock. The spells and abilities are mainly enchantment/illusion focused if your ok with that.

You can then be a tome warlock and learn a bunch of rituals like speak with dead, find familiar, augury, commune with nature, etc

supergoji18
2019-02-03, 09:26 PM
A warlock is perfect for this. They have access to hex, bestow curse, and a whole bunch of other esoteric powers that work wonderfully.

My suggestions for this build would be to go pact of the tome for more spells and ritual casting (requires an invocation). I'd suggest pact of the archfey, fiend, or undying.

Stygofthedump
2019-02-04, 03:30 AM
Maybe an archfey warlock. The spells and abilities are mainly enchantment/illusion focused if your ok with that.

You can then be a tome warlock and learn a bunch of rituals like speak with dead, find familiar, augury, commune with nature, etc

I think this is a winner

Trustypeaches
2019-02-04, 04:23 AM
Definitely a reflavored Lore Bard. Vicious Mockery and Cutting Words are basically hexes. All of the bard features can very easily be reflavored from musical magic to creepy chanting and hexes.

Stygofthedump
2019-02-04, 04:26 AM
Bard could work reflavoured also