PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Warlock

Stryyke
2019-02-03, 03:09 AM
So I'm pretty sure my next character is going to be a Warforged Warlock. But I have a few questions.

1) Can someone link me with the official Warforged source information? I've seen them and read up on them at a number of different locations, but I would like the official source.

2) The group is a Tier 2-3 optimization group, so I don't need something terribly optimized; but I don't want to over-optimize either. As Warlock is a new class for me, I'm not sure how to get to the right optimization level with them.

My goal is to do a ranged build that gets it's damage from Eldrich Blast, and uses it's invocations for utility purposes. We have a few melee damage dealers, so I was thinking CC warlock.

3.5 all 1st party content, and 3rd party with approval. ECL 12

Uncle Pine
2019-02-03, 04:44 AM
1) Warforged have been printed in both the Eberron Campaign setting and Monster Manual III. There are a few extra resources around, for example in Races of Eberron, but the base race is in ECS and MMIII. They make fun warlocks because you get to play Iron Man.

2) Troacctid's Warlockopedia (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?577317-The-Warlockopedia-A-Comprehensive-Warlock-Handbook) is everything you might possibly ask for and then more. It's quite the awesome work.

If you plan to focus on ranged combat as a warlock, I wouldn't worry about optimizing too much compared to your fellows.

Stryyke
2019-02-03, 04:50 AM
Oh I've read the Warlockopedia backwards and forwards. You are right. Excellent work. The problem is that it's based on an optimizers view of warlocks, so it is probably more optimized than I need. But never having played a warlock, I can't be certain.

But you think I can do a ranged CC warlock without worrying about getting over-optimized? They are weak enough that decent optimization should make them just about right for Tier 3?

RoboEmperor
2019-02-03, 04:53 AM
But you think I can do a ranged CC warlock without worrying about getting over-optimized? They are weak enough that decent optimization should make them just about right for Tier 3?

I don't think there's any problem here. EB has absolute trash damage and BFC is how they stay relevant. They're debuffers that shave off hp. 9th level warlocks do 5d6 damage which equates to 17.5 average damage a round. That's pathetic.

Uncle Pine
2019-02-03, 06:28 AM
But you think I can do a ranged CC warlock without worrying about getting over-optimized?
Sure, just build your character and go have fun. "Tiers" are often more headaches than they're worth if you try to shoehorn a potential character to fit into one or another, as it is usually glaring when optimization turns a concept into a murder machine. Remember that if that happens you can always tune it down.
At the end of the day, if you're still uncertain as to whether your character came up as too strong, nothing beats pitching it to the DM and asking his opinion. "A tier 2-3 optimization group" isn't nearly as descriptive to us as "our Friday night group" is to him.

GrayDeath
2019-02-03, 08:28 AM
As someone who often is in the same boat (loving Warlocks and sometimes palying in very low OP groups), a few tips:

A.: Be absolutely sure the DM has NOTHING against the Warlocks At WIll Everything. Some more old schoolish GM`s do, and hence that might cause trouble in Game as it progresses.
Especially The Dead Walk, even if only using the temporary version, can catch a lot of DM`s not terribly familiar with the class on the wrong foot, as can Fell Wings, etc.

Given this is a Go, now to the 3 most important parts to be careful about:

1.: You are starting at ECL 12. The Level where Warlocks get their arguably best (if there is downtime) feature, "Craft Everything(TM)". If the group contains any other PC who wants to craft magical stuff, be sure to only very very sparingly use this, and/or for things they cant craft, as it might overshadow them without even trying.

2.: As other have stated, the Warlocks base damage is low. However, its EB is always against Touch AC. So make sure to shine against enemies with huge AC, and dont worry about overshadowing anything but the least optimized Damage Dealers in other battles. (Note: Eldritch Spear is always a good Idea, minimize the stronger Eldritch Essences if your group has a CC Caster that is unoptimized though).

3.: Utility is your basic playground. With Invisibility, Fly, Social Boosts and See Invisibility you can be useful all the time without being "OP in most groups (exception see A).

Now go end enjoy your flyingk invisible Robot shooting Lasers from his eyes! ^^

Troacctid
2019-02-03, 02:16 PM
Oh I've read the Warlockopedia backwards and forwards. You are right. Excellent work. The problem is that it's based on an optimizers view of warlocks, so it is probably more optimized than I need. But never having played a warlock, I can't be certain.
I tried to write it so it would be useful for players of all skill levels and playstyles. The Quick Build Guide in particular is intended for non-optimizers. It's just some quick-and-dirty, mid-op, single-class builds that you can roll up without having to think too hard.

Yes, absolutely. The only way to "over-optimize" a warlock, if that's even a thing, is through either itemization/UMD abuse, high-power prestige classes, or both. It's extremely difficult to break out of the T3 range. If you miss, you'll be missing low, not high, trust me.

As a warforged warlock, the Cha penalty will hurt your ability to apply crowd control (except via grappling, which doesn't come online until greater invocations unless you're willing to spring for the unreliable dirt hand). So you shouldn't be in any danger of being too good, IMO.

You could also consider multiclassing. Dipping into another class usually sacrifices power for utility, which sounds like something you might be interested in. On the other hand, it's also a more advanced strategy, which you might not be comfortable with if you're not already familiar with warlocks.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-02-03, 07:41 PM
If you want to dump the warforged's body armor to prevent Arcane Spell Failure (for scroll casting, if nothing else) and don't mind being a Dinobot, warforged make *excellent* dragonborn. They lose very, very little, and you can use their newly gained racial abilities to save you an invocation or two.