PDA

View Full Version : Help with feat selection

TheUndecided
2019-02-03, 05:22 AM
I'm using an array of 20 16 12 12 10 4 (we're doing 24 as max stat instead of 20), and starting at level 13. I'm creating a hexblade bladelock, picking up IPW, Lifedrinker, Eldritch Smite and so on. I'm going to start variant human with an ASI to make CHA 22 and CON 18, and I'm having a tough time between selecting a combination of Polearm Mastery, Sentinel, GWM, and another charisma ASI. We're using flanking rules and there's another melee paladin so advantage will be pretty common. Need some help deciding which combination would be most useful. We start with 1 rare and 2 uncommon items, if that helps or if there are any suggestions for them.

Side note, if numbers are involved, please give me couple pointers on how to crunch numbers cause I don't usually know where to start (like using what AC comparison, how to calculate average dps and so on)

Thanks!

DeTess
2019-02-03, 05:30 AM
I'm using an array of 20 16 12 12 10 4 (we're doing 24 as max stat instead of 20), and starting at level 13. I'm creating a hexblade bladelock, picking up IPW, Lifedrinker, Eldritch Smite and so on. I'm going to start variant human with an ASI to make CHA 22 and CON 18, and I'm having a tough time between selecting a combination of Polearm Mastery, Sentinel, GWM, and another charisma ASI. We're using flanking rules and there's another melee paladin so advantage will be pretty common. Need some help deciding which combination would be most useful.

Side note, if numbers are involved, please give me couple pointers on how to crunch numbers cause I don't usually know where to start (like using what AC comparison, how to calculate average dps and so on)

Thanks!

Polearm master is the way to go. It'll always give you another attack, and the 1d4 damage dice hardly matters if you're adding +12 damage to every hit.

CTurbo
2019-02-03, 05:34 AM
Pole arm master and if you get advantage that easily go Elf and get Elven Accuracy and I'd also want Inspiring Leader if 24 Cha

TheUndecided
2019-02-03, 05:41 AM
Pole arm master and if you get advantage that easily go Elf and get Elven Accuracy and I'd also want Inspiring Leader if 24 Cha

If I take elf (assuming half) I wouldn't be able to take more than 2 feats, and my reaction isn't as utilised.

CTurbo
2019-02-03, 06:38 AM
PAM and Elven Accuracy then

RingoBongo
2019-02-03, 01:20 PM
PAM and Elven Accuracy then
Agreed. You have at least one use for your reaction, and a good one at that. Then there's the crits from elven where you can pile on the damage.

Corran
2019-02-03, 01:59 PM
It's good to concentrate on how to increase the build's offensive capabilities, but don't neglect your defenses. You need to take care of AC and constitution saves. Also, if flanking rules are in play, it will probably be a good idea to have some tools against hordes (or some solid battlefield control), as facing a big number of enemies just got a much deadlier challenge.