PDA

View Full Version : Any way to obtain Call ruin elemental?

Vizzerdrix
2019-02-03, 08:26 AM
I`ve always loved the ability of the Ruin Chanter (mm5, pg 132) to turn junk into an elemental and I like some help getting it onto pc.

I think changeling, turned into a fey (unseelie fey, or some other template maybe? Options are good), and with the assume supernatural ability might be able to swing this. However this is the first time in almost a year that I`ve so much as looked at a d&d book, and could use some input.

Thanks in advance.

noob
2019-02-03, 08:33 AM
It would work but you would need ruins you call home and interlopers within it.

Vizzerdrix
2019-02-03, 10:11 AM
It would work but you would need ruins you call home and interlopers within it.

Interesting. I wonder if I can persuade the DM to set the game in Detroit.

Now, am I mistaken in remembering a feat that turned one into a fey, or a +0 template that was a bit less boosting then unseelie fey?

noob
2019-02-03, 11:01 AM
Interesting. I wonder if I can persuade the DM to set the game in Detroit.

Now, am I mistaken in remembering a feat that turned one into a fey, or a +0 template that was a bit less boosting then unseelie fey?

For outsiders I know otherworldly but I do not know the equivalent feat for fey.
Also is it supposed to be a dnd and real life cross over campaign?

WhamBamSam
2019-02-03, 08:01 PM
You're thinking of Unseelie Fey, but the Changeling ability only works for humanoid forms.

You could break the cap on Polymorph with Reserves of Strength or somesuch to get 20 HD forms.

If Dragon Magazine is available, Young Arboreal Dragons (Dragon 321) get an Alternate Form that can be used to assume Fey forms. They're only 11 HD, so more within conventional Polymorph reach, though unfortunately large, so Dragon Wild Shape won't work unless you're a MoMF or something.

Vizzerdrix
2019-02-04, 11:52 PM
You're thinking of Unseelie Fey, but the Changeling ability only works for humanoid forms.

Hmm... Looking at disguise self (phb- pg 222) it lists that a human caster could look human, humanoid or like any human shaped creature. Ruin chanter would fall into that last option I would think. The srd is rather more vauge on this. Saying only that you can't change your body type.

Silva Stormrage
2019-02-05, 11:51 PM
Persisted Draconic Polymorph (Naturally goes up to 20 HD) with some caster level boosts and assume supernatural ability seems like the most straightforward lowest amount of cheese way of doing this.

Edit: Never mind Draconic Polymoprh is capped at your own HD not CL. You can use bloodlines to boost that or find some way to become lycanthrope and then lose the lycanthropy to gain and lose a large amount of HD for the spell though.

Troacctid
2019-02-06, 12:11 AM
Any reason why shapechange wouldn't work?

Vizzerdrix
2019-02-06, 01:29 AM
Any reason why shapechange wouldn't work?

It absolutely would, however I was more curious about this as an option for non casters.

Thurbane
2019-02-06, 03:33 AM
It absolutely would, however I was more curious about this as an option for non casters.

Illithid Savant (SS p.77)? :smalltongue:

Alternatively, Hellbreaker 8 (FC2 p.86) gets "Steal Supernatural Ability", which does what it says on the tin. May not work, since the ability parses from Steal Spell-Like Ability: and that states that the stolen ability must be used within 1 minute. The Ruin Chanters ability is an hour long ritual. A lenient DM might say so long as you start the ritual inside of a minute, you are OK.

Silva Stormrage
2019-02-06, 03:39 AM
Illithid Savant (SS p.77)? :smalltongue:

Alternatively, Hellbreaker 8 (FC2 p.86) gets "Steal Supernatural Ability", which does what it says on the tin.

Steal supernatural ability doesn't work unfortunately. Well it does but it's a tad bit useless in this situation. Call Ruin Elemental takes an hour ritual to complete and steal supernatural ability only lasts a minute. I am not sure if you can continue the ritual without having the ability or if you just need it to start the ritual but I imagine you need the SU ability for the full hour.