PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Choosing race for my Old Veteran Champion Fighter - for AL game

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-02-03, 09:56 AM
Hello guys :)

I have a game in a few hours that I need to make a new character as I got inspiration in work.

We will play one of waterdeep modules, I don't know which one but it doesn't matter.

I am planning on playing a Fighter that will become a Champion.

I am taking Soldier background and make him an Officer from the more serious guards in waterdeep.

He is going to be a NG old man, the kind that give candy to childrens, he will walk in the city in heavy armour and he will use his Greatsword as a walking cane.

My abilities will be:
15 str
8 dex
15 con
10/8/8 int
14/15/14 wis
8/8/10 cha

I want to take a Vhuman for GWF but it is hard for my to lose Darkvision.

Do you have in any AL legal race for my to use?
I will also be happy if you could convince my to use human.

In all my time playing D&D(I played 3.5e and 5e) I never played a fighter or a human so I will like to try it.

Edit: about the abilities, what do you think I should take from the 3 options?

I want him to be wise, I don't care about him being charismatic or intelligent.

RogueJK
2019-02-03, 10:08 AM
From an optimization standpoint, Mountain Dwarf is tough to beat. +2 STR and +2 CON puts you at 17 for both. And you don't lose Darkvision.

But a Variant Human with STR 16 and CON 16 plus GWF is perfectly viable. Darkvision isn't a total necessity.

I'd do INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 10. Not the most well-educated, but lots of common sense, and decently friendly/outgoing.

djreynolds
2019-02-03, 10:09 AM
Hello guys :)

I have a game in a few hours that I need to make a new character as I got inspiration in work.

We will play one of waterdeep modules, I don't know which one but it doesn't matter.

I am planning on playing a Fighter that will become a Champion.

I am taking Soldier background and make him an Officer from the more serious guards in waterdeep.

He is going to be a NG old man, the kind that give candy to childrens, he will walk in the city in heavy armour and he will use his Greatsword as a walking cane.

My abilities will be:
15 str
8 dex
15 con
10/8/8 int
14/15/14 wis
8/8/10 cha

I want to take a Vhuman for GWF but it is hard for my to lose Darkvision.

Do you have in any AL legal race for my to use?
I will also be happy if you could convince my to use human.

In all my time playing D&D(I played 3.5e and 5e) I never played a fighter or a human so I will like to try it.

Edit: about the abilities, what do you think I should take from the 3 options?

I want him to be wise, I don't care about him being charismatic or intelligent.

I like half-orc, and they age quicker than humans

Hill dwarf (mountain is fine), the extra wisdom is good and the extra HP is actually worth +2 in con

But human is fine, really, goggles of darkvision are easy to come by later on

IMO, a champion wants many attacks... so PAM and even TWF, greatsword is fine but perhaps you could use a glaive as walking stick. PAM gives a guaranteed BA.... and advantage... anyway you can.

Champions want to roll many dice, and if possible re-roll them. So PAM and sources of advantage.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-02-03, 10:38 AM
From an optimization standpoint, Mountain Dwarf is tough to beat. +2 STR and +2 CON puts you at 17 for both. And you don't lose Darkvision.

But a Variant Human with STR 16 and CON 16 plus GWF is perfectly viable. Darkvision isn't a total necessity.

I'd do INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 10. Not the most well-educated, but lots of common sense, and decently friendly/outgoing.
Well you convince me to take the 8 int 14 wis 10 cha. Thank you.

Now I am tearing apart between the mountain Dwarf and the human as bought fit the old veteran idea in my head. The dwarf pros are the ability to gain 18/18 at level 5/6, the human pros are higher speed and the feat. Why does it have to be so hard?
The human will be better for the frail look as I can't think on a frail dwarf.

I think I will make 2 character sheets.

I like half-orc, and they age quicker than humans

Hill dwarf (mountain is fine), the extra wisdom is good and the extra HP is actually worth +2 in con

But human is fine, really, goggles of darkvision are easy to come by later on

IMO, a champion wants many attacks... so PAM and even TWF, greatsword is fine but perhaps you could use a glaive as walking stick. PAM gives a guaranteed BA.... and advantage... anyway you can.

Champions want to roll many dice, and if possible re-roll them. So PAM and sources of advantage.
For flavor I will not take PAM, between a Pike and a Greatsword the Greatsword win in my head.

About the Half-Orc, he doesn't look in my head like the old frail veteran to me and the Hill Dwarf looks lame near the Mountain Dwarf when I check their Racial Traits.

Thank you for the ideas, maybe later he will trade his Greatsword cane for a magical Pike cane.

Unoriginal
2019-02-03, 11:00 AM
What do you want Darkvision for, in particular?

djreynolds
2019-02-03, 11:00 AM
Mountain dwarf is great, but you lose out with medium armor proficiency

Hill dwarf gives and +2 con and a 1 HP per level, and +1 to wisdom, good for saves

For dwarves, is 17 strength vs 15 strength, but more HP, and better wisdom.

But mountain dwarf's +2 to strength is tough to pass on, and +2 con is nice

Greatsword is just fine

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-02-03, 11:24 AM
What do you want Darkvision for, in particular?
I just like to see at night, it is my inner optimizer talking.
I think I accidentally sold my soul to him, he may be a Devil.

Mountain dwarf is great, but you lose out with medium armor proficiency

Hill dwarf gives and +2 con and a 1 HP per level, and +1 to wisdom, good for saves

For dwarves, is 17 strength vs 15 strength, but more HP, and better wisdom.

But mountain dwarf's +2 to strength is tough to pass on, and +2 con is nice

Greatsword is just fine
I don't think I understand what you wrote on the medium armor, I already getting Heavy from the fighter.

The modifier is the same for human +1 con and str and the two dwarfs mention, the only difference is the +1 HP that isn't enough at low levels from my experience and irrelevant at higher levels.

Because the difference between the human and the mountain dwarf is 2 ability points that doesn't change the modifier at level 1 the question is if I want my feat before or after my 18 con+str(I don't lose a feat, I just gain it later and I will probably get 18 str before 18 con if I will be human because hitting is fun).

What left is the other Racial Traits and the fluff options of the races.

The dwarf have the stone work expertise and the human can pick later expertise in a skill with a feat if I will want it.

The dwarf get tools, the human don't.

The dwarf speed is 25 and the human is 30.
If the dwarf will be hit with a str debuff he will still be at 25 ft and the human will be at 20.

The dwarf have Darkvision, the human don't.

I can think on a frail human but can't think on a frail dwarf(important for fluff).

RogueJK
2019-02-03, 11:36 AM
Nobody with an 18 STR and 18 CON is going to be frail...

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-02-03, 11:47 AM
Nobody with an 18 STR and 18 CON is going to be frail...

Key word is "look", I may forget it.

Think Master Rushi from Dragon Ball

Tanarii
2019-02-03, 11:50 AM
Human or half Orc or Half elf.

Dwarves and Gnomes settle down and when they're old enough and don't adventure any more.

Elves apparently don't really visibly age until right at the end, they just kinda suddenly shrivel up over a short period of time then keel over.

Dragon born or Tiefling or Halflings just don't seem to fit the mental image you tried to project.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-02-03, 12:00 PM
Human or half Orc or Half elf.

Dwarves and Gnomes settle down and when they're old enough and don't adventure any more.

Elves apparently don't really visibly age until right at the end, they just kinda suddenly shrivel up over a short period of time then keel over.

Dragon born or Tiefling or Halflings just don't seem to fit the mental image you tried to project.

Thank you for presenting a tie breaker :)
Human it is.

RogueJK
2019-02-03, 12:01 PM
Here's an example of an old, frail-looking dwarf who could still have quite a bit of fight left in him.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/5a/27/3c/5a273c55da0d12ff67778bb12e9ffa19.jpg

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-02-03, 12:13 PM
Here's an example of an old, frail-looking dwarf who could still have quite a bit of fight left in him.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/5a/27/3c/5a273c55da0d12ff67778bb12e9ffa19.jpg

Ok, there can't be a tie breaker, I will just make 2 PC, the brothers(adopted) Mob the human Veteran and Bom the dwarf Artisan.

djreynolds
2019-02-03, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=BloodSnake'sCha;23681731]

I don't think I understand what you wrote on the medium armor, I already getting Heavy from the fighter.

Because the difference between the human and the mountain dwarf is 2 ability points that doesn't change the modifier at level 1 the question is if I want my feat before or after my 18 con+str(I don't lose a feat, I just gain it later and I will probably get 18 str before 18 con if I will be human because hitting is fun).QUOTE]

I personally find mountain dwarves are great at fighters, but you're right you are already getting heavy armor and martial weapon proficiency... where as the hill dwarf gives you a good boost without the needless medium armor proficiency.

They get dwarven toughness and +2 con, and +1 wisdom

I would take GWM as early as possible, not for the -5/+10, but for the bonus action attack when killing enemies, which with a great sword and 16 strength you should be able to kill lots of 10 or 11hp possibly with a good roll

I think human variant is fine, I would take GWM at 1st level