PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing official 'exotic' weapons

Zhorn
2019-02-03, 10:03 AM
Looking for some sources on official exotic weapons in 5e.

Edit 1: since this came up a fair amount in the list of suggested items, a clarification is in order for what would classify as a valid exotic weapon.
Its damage type is either slashing, piercing or bludgeoning (anything else is either a magic item or an enhancement on the base item).
Has damage dice that conform to weapon size scaling (DMG 278) so it can be scaled down to medium if found on a larger creature's stat block.
Is mechanically different from other existing weapons (dice, damage type, properties) otherwise it is just a reskin (example: glaives and halberds are mechanically identical, one is just a reskin of the other)

Dungeon Master's Guide (p268) has pistols and muskets.
Out of the Abyss (p224) has light repeating crossbows and the hooked shortspear.
Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron (p74) has the double-bladed scimitar.
and Tomb of Annihilation (p32) has the Yklwa.

Edit 2: expanded list
Lizardfolk (MM p204): Spiked Shield - +2AC, 1d6 piercing, special: counts as a shield
Thri-kreen (MM p288): Gythka - 1d8 slashing, two-handed, special: polearm, bladed at each end
Thri-kreen (MM p288): Chatkcha - 1d6 slashing, light, thrown (30/120)
Deathpact Angel (GGtR p191): Scythe - 2d4 slashing, two-handed, reach, finesse, special: polearm
Redcap (VGtM p188): Wicked Sickle - 2d4 slashing

would also list chains, garrotes and other grapple causing weapons (see post #12), but there are some inconsistencies due to multiple versions or simply the grapple DC calculation would be changed to the player standard (8 + proficiency + Str/Dex)

Does anyone have sources (either printed books, Unearth Arcana, Adventure League material, etc) that has details on 'exotic' weapons. Just looking for options for my players while sticking to official material. Specifically weapons that are distinct enough that they are not just another weapon under a different name.

Naanomi
2019-02-03, 11:16 AM
There is a musket in Strahd as well I think

The DMG also has sci-fi weaponry

Several monsters carry strange weapons not found on the player list (spiked chains and the like)

Zhorn
2019-02-03, 07:26 PM
There is a musket in Strahd as well I think

The DMG also has sci-fi weaponry

Several monsters carry strange weapons not found on the player list (spiked chains and the like)

Thankyou for the response.
Didn't originally list the modern or futuristic firearms weapons as they look too out of place with the general historic/fantasy feel of the standard game. Plus they are a bit too mechanically superior to the other weapons. But that's on me for not specifying in my original post.

As for the monsters that carry strange weapons, could you supply some names/pages so i could look them up?

nickl_2000
2019-02-04, 08:03 AM
NOTE - There may be spoilers here from written modules in mentioning names and weapons.

Also many of these weapons are fine in the hands of an NPC, but put into the hands of a PC they would be silly overpowered.

Githyanki Knight - MM - Silver Greatsword - Magical
Drow Priestess of Lolth - MM - Scourge
Ghald - Temple of Elemental Evil
Rictavio - Strahd - Sword Cane
Derro Savant - OotA - Hooked Shortspear, Light Repeating Crossbow
Kuo-Toa Whip - MM - Pincer Staff
Thri-kreen - MM - Gythka, Chatkcha
Frost Giant - MM - Weighted Net
Chain Devil - MM - Chain
Bone Devil Polearm - MM - Hooked Polearm

Naanomi
2019-02-04, 09:14 AM
From Volo’s:
Fireshield (Fire Giant Dreadnaught)
Sickle (Redcap)
Tlincalli (Spiked Chain)

From MtoF:
Molydeus (Demonic Weapon)
Amnizu (Taskmaster Whip)
Narzugon (Hellfire Lance)
Orthon (Infernal Dagger, Brass Crossbow)
Drow Inquisitor (Death Lance)
Drow Matron Mother (Demon Staff)
Drow Shadowblade (Shadowsword)
Deuregar Mindmaster (Mindpoison Dagger)
Deuregar Warlord (Psychic-Attuned Hammer)
Giff (Musket, Pistol, Grenade)
Meazel (Garrote)
Ogre Bolt Launcher (Bolt Launcher)
Shadar-Kai Gloomweaver (Shadow Spear)
Shadar-Kai Shadowdancer (Spiked Chain)
Shadar-Kai Soulmonger (Phantasmal Dagger)
Skull Lord (Bone Staff)
Star Spawn Seer (Comet Staff)
Merenoloth (Oar)

GMGtR:
Deathpact Angel (Scythe)
Archon of the Triumverate (Hammer of Justice)
Conclave Dryad (Vine Staff)
Cackler (Spiked Chain)
Bloodfray Giant (Chain)
Rakdos Performer (Bladed Chain)

NOTES:
*All the chains/spiked chains/blades chains are different...
*I think the modules have a few more NPCs with Garrotes

Unoriginal
2019-02-04, 09:42 AM
The Ogre Chain Brute from the Mordenkainen's has yet another version of the spiked chain.

Also note that some of the weapons' damages come from the wielder's powers.

Vogie
2019-02-04, 10:02 AM
The Drow Gunslingers in Dragon Heist have the Poisonous Pistol, with a 30/90 range... but they have a feature called Gunslinger that acts as a combination of sharpshooter & crossbow expert, so they don't shoot with disadvantage at either point-blank or long range and ignore all but total cover - so the weapon acts quite differently in the hands the NPC as opposed to if a PC gets ahold of it.

Naanomi
2019-02-04, 11:24 AM
The Ogre Chain Brute from the Mordenkainen's has yet another version of the spiked chain.
I didn't count that one because it doesn't really have a 'weapon attack' with it... just special attacks (I think)

Also note that some of the weapons' damages come from the wielder's powers.
Right, or are really minor magical items more than 'exotic weapons'

PastorofMuppets
2019-02-04, 11:52 AM
Is there a guide to converting 3/3.5 items to 5e? Thy had tons of variety in exotic weapons to work from if you really want to fine tune your player options. I miss a lot of the racial weapons and the various double ones that could switch damage types.

Vogie
2019-02-04, 01:39 PM
Is there a guide to converting 3/3.5 items to 5e? Thy had tons of variety in exotic weapons to work from if you really want to fine tune your player options. I miss a lot of the racial weapons and the various double ones that could switch damage types.

I don't really have a guide to it, but I'd love to find one.

I troll the 3.P item lists, especially the cheaper ones, to find really interesting weapons to give to my players. Some of them aren't even powerful, just magical and having some utility and add flavor to the world.

I adjust the stats and abilities to wherever the players will be in that area, and then hand them out to the mobs that they may encounter.

Zhorn
2019-02-04, 10:35 PM

I'm just restricting myself to weapons published in official 5e material. So if at any stage rules lawyering comes up, there's a source to point to without the step of "to convert this from edition x, we'll represent that as y".

Cheers for the items listed, I'll sort through them today. Some I can see already are (as Unoriginal has noted) based on creature abilities more than the weapons themselves, and others are just flat out magic items. Will file some of those away as potential items for Pact of the Blade Warlocks, but they'd be mostly inert items in the hands of other PC's.

Zhorn
2019-02-05, 08:07 AM
These I can see being viable as exotic weapons:

Lizardfolk (MM p204): Spiked Shield - +2AC, 1d6 piercing
Thri-kreen (MM p288): Gythka - 1d8 slashing, two-handed, special: polearm, bladed at each end
Thri-kreen (MM p288): Chatkcha - 1d6 slashing, light, thrown (30/120)
Deathpact Angel (GGtR p191): Scythe - 2d4 slashing, two-handed, reach, finesse

Mostly viable:

Redcap (VGtM p188): Wicked Sickle - 2d4 slashing

pretty much an oversize sickle as if it were meant for a large creature (2x dice), but wielded by a small creature one-handed. I'd rule yes.

Garrote, minor varriance:

Ettercap (MM p131): Web-Garrote - requires advantage, medium or smaller target, 1d4 bludgeoning, DC12 Grapple (10 + Str, or 8 + Profficiency + Str), advantage on attack rolls, target can't breathe
Ghald (PotA, p210): Garrote - requires advantage, medium or smaller target, 1d4 bludgeoning (adjusted for size), DC15 Grapple (8 + Profficiency + Str), advantage on attack rolls, target can't breathe
Meazel (MToF p214): Garrote - 1d6 bludgeoning, DC13 Grapple with disadvantage (10 + Dex, or 8 + Profficiency + Dex), 2d6 bludgeoning each turn while grappled

The first two are very consistent, but the existence of the third could muddy the waters if anyone were contesting the ruling.

Chain weapons, mostly viable, but questions about consistent numbers:

Chain Devil (MM p72): Chain - 2d6 slashing, reach, DC14 Grapple (10 + Str), 2d6 piercing each turn while grappled
Bloodfray Giant (GGtR p200): Chain - 1d6 bludgeoning (adjusted for size), reach, DC17 Grapple (8 + proficiency + Str)
Tlincalli (VGtM p193): Spiked Chain - 1d6 piercing, reach, DC11 Grapple (8 + proficiency + no mod?, or 10 + Dex)
Cackler (GGtR p 195): Spiked Chain - 1d6 slashing, reach, finesse
Shadar-Kai Shadowdancer (MToF p225): Spiked Chain - 2d6 slashing, reach, finesse, DC14 Grapple or Prone (8 + proficiency + Dex)
Rakdos Performer (GGtR p249) Bladed Chain: 1d6 slashing, reach, finesse

For the DC, I'm in favour of the standard "8 + proficiency + Str/Dex", and reach and finesse seem consistent. Damage is a bit undecided.

Other grapple weapons:

Bone Devil Polarm (MM p71): Hooked Polarm - 1d12 piercing (adjusted for size), reach, DC14 Grapple (10 + Str)
Kou-Toa Whip (MM p200): Pincer Staff - 1d6 piercing, DC14 Gapple (does not allign with either DC formula)

Give these the consistent DC formula and they should work.

Looking at a bunch of the other recommendations, these don't quite meet the mark of being an exotic weapon. Mostly just reskins and magic items.

Lizardfolk (MM p204): Heavy Club - mace
Drow Priestess of Lolth (MM p129): Scourge - shortsword with poison
Rictavio (CoS p238): Sword Cane - mace/shortsword
Frost Giant (SKT p246): Weighted Net - Net scaled up for size
Archon of the Triumverate (GGtR p192): Hammer of Justice - maul, magic item
Githyanki Knight (MM p160): Silver Greatsword - greatsword, magic item
Conclave Dryad (GGtR p194): Vine Staff - magic item
Molydeus (MToF p134): Demonic Weapon - magic item
Amnizu (MToF p164): Taskmaster Whip - whip, magic item
Narzugon (MToF p167): Hellfire Lance - lance, magic item
Orthon (MToF p169): Infernal Dagger, Brass Crossbow - magic items
Drow Inquisitor (MToF p184): Death Lance - spear, magic item
Drow Matron Mother (MToF p186): Demon Staff - quaterstaff, magic item
Drow Shadowblade (MToF p187): Shadowsword - shortsword, magic item
Deuregar Mindmaster (MToF p189): Mindpoison Dagger - dagger, magic item
Deuregar Warlord (MToF p192): Psychic-Attuned Hammer. Warhammer, magic item
Giff (MToF p204): Grenade - less a weapon and more a consumable item (like acid and alchemist fire)
Ogre Bolt Launcher (MToF p220): Bolt Launcher - siege equipment, ballista
Shadar-Kai Gloomweaver (MToF p224): Shadow Spear - spear, magic item
Shadar-Kai Soulmonger (MToF p226): Phantasmal Dagger - dagger, magic item
Skull Lord (MToF p230): Bone Staff - quaterstaff, magic item
Star Spawn Seer (MToF p236): Comet Staff - quaterstaff, magic item
Merrenoloth (MToF p250): Oar - improvised weapon/magic item

Clearly a creature ability:

Rakdos Performer (GGtR p249): Barbed Pole - Spear with an acrobatic movement
Ogre Chain Brute (MToF p221): Chain Sweep, Chan Smash - Just a flavor of brute using anything as a weapon.

Size/Condition limitation:

Fireshield (VGtM p147: Fire Giant Dreadnought) - Huge weapon; 4d6 bludgeoning + 2d6 fire + 2d6 piercing. fueled by burning/molted material, hard to determine damage scale for medium sized creature (Huge weapons are normally 3x dice of the medium size equivalent). Even if it were scaled down correctly, the logistics of the weapon would make it unusable for anything without fire immunity AND ready access to flaming material to keep it active. Best to just go with a spiked shield and make it into a magic item for the extra stuff.

Zhorn
2019-02-06, 01:19 AM
So discussing with some folks off forums, here's a few adjudications on a few of these.

Spiked Shield:

Treated as a regular shield unless a character has profficiency to use effectively as a weapon
Attacking without profficiency follows the standard rulings for improvised weapons
PHB p144 "you can only benefit from one shield at a time", so double shielding doesn't give a +4 AC
Does not have the light property, so cannot be used in baseline two-weapon fighting

Gythka:

While technically a polearm, the blade on the opposite end makes it incompatible with the 1d4 bludgeoning bonus attack from Polearm Master feat (PHB 168)
Being bladed at both ends, it is compatible with the Revenant Blade feat (WGtE p74)

Scythe:

Being a polearm, it is compatible with the Polearm Master feat (PHB 168)

Then there are the grappling weapons. The garrote I feel keeps mechanically consistent with the creatures that use them.
Garrote:

Has the finesse property (consistent with all three listed creatures that have a garrote)
Requires advantage to use in an attack, since it is intended as an ambush weapon.
Target must be of medium size or smaller.
Successful attacks deal 1d4 bludgeoning and grapple the target (Escape DC = 8 + Profficiency + Str/Dex).
While grappled; the target can't breathe, the attacker has advantage on attack rolls against the target (edit: that's territory for the Grappler feat), and the garrote cannot be used to attack any other creatures.

Chains, Pincer Staves and Hooked Polearms... I'm still hesitant on making rulings on these.

Ignoring the spiked and bladed varriety, the chain would be thematically the same as the whip, and adding a grapple to one doesn't feel right without houseruling that the grapple should be added to the other, but without the grapple the chain is just a reskinned whip.

The behaviour of the hooked polearm and pincerstaff comes down to their interection with attacks after a successful grapple. Does it make sense that the weapon would still be able to deal it's full damage dice when it is already being used to grapple the target. Possibly yes and I'm just overthinking it.

Successful attacks also grapple the target (Escape DC = 8 + Profficiency + Str).
While grappled; the weapon cannot be used to attack any other creatures.