View Full Version : A bard that's not liked so much. Help build.

Throne12
2019-02-03, 10:07 AM
So I was thinking about a bard that played songs that are famous but are bad song or are annoying. Two songs I got are " never going to give you up" and " surfin bird" he also focuses on the skills that rarely get picked so I'm thinking religion, medicine, animal handling.

So what songs should I add and what spells should they cast. Also any little quirks you think he should have. Hes not evil or a asshat he just wired and plays all the ****ty music.

Zaharra
2019-02-03, 10:26 AM
I find the time traveling bard thing excessively overdone, but it's easy to just pick the wrong kind of music for situations. A comical song after a battle where someone died, a crude dwarven drinking tale at a formal party, an elven lullaby in a bar full of drunk soldiers about to go to war.

Zhorn
2019-02-03, 10:27 AM
Maybe pick songs that are thematically 'close' to the situation, but in poor taste?

Scenario:
Cleric is racing into melee range to get the barbarian back on their feet before they fail their death saves.
Bard attempts to inspire the cleric with some good field medic music... plays the theme from M*A*S*H.

Throne12
2019-02-03, 10:36 AM
I find the time traveling bard thing excessively overdone, but it's easy to just pick the wrong kind of music for situations. A comical song after a battle where someone died, a crude dwarven drinking tale at a formal party, an elven lullaby in a bar full of drunk soldiers about to go to war.

What are you talking about I didnt su anything about time traveling.

Corran
2019-02-03, 10:49 AM
Vicious mockery - ''U mad bro?''

Friends: Have you noticed how the target of this spell turns hostile after the duration ends? That always struck me as a bit weird. I would fluff it like this. The bard takes out a lipstick and starts putting it on, while the target you are interacting with gets so confused by this and lets whatever you want from him slip him. When the spell ends, you plant a Buggs Bunny kiss on the target's forehead, leaving the imprint of your lips on it in red lipstick, and with an annoyingly thriumphant voice the bard goes ''HA! You fool! My magic always works on weak minds like yours! BOOM!'' Then you leg it.

Dying words (or rather, words before the hit that downs you)/ cutting words: ''Wait!!! It was just a prank!''

Zhorn
2019-02-03, 11:12 AM
What are you talking about I didnt su anything about time traveling.

I think it's the trope of a bard using modern day music in a historical/fantasy setting. "Time travelling bard" is a handwave term to explain their modern day musical knowledge.

Sigreid
2019-02-03, 11:49 AM
What's new pussycat.

Sariel Vailo
2019-02-03, 01:03 PM
Tell nothing but puns they don't even need to be good. It will make everyone groan. Use a battle axe as a valor or swords bard and always"axe questions,or do axe of Mercy" etc.

Zaharra
2019-02-03, 01:43 PM
I think it's the trope of a bard using modern day music in a historical/fantasy setting. "Time travelling bard" is a handwave term to explain their modern day musical knowledge.

Yes, this. Time traveling i.e. making modern references in a world that doesn't yet have germ theory.

Laserlight
2019-02-03, 01:58 PM
Make his casting stat INT instead of CHA. He knows a lot of songs and lore but isn't popular

Throne12
2019-02-03, 03:29 PM
Yes, this. Time traveling i.e. making modern references in a world that doesn't yet have germ theory.

That's stupid there are so many things we do that wasn't done back then. Do you talk like Shakespeare when you play. Do you use old English mannerisms and slang. No you dont so why would you harp on a bard using modern songs.

Edgerunner
2019-02-03, 04:03 PM
Do the Macarena while casting Tasha's Hideous Laughter.

Daithi
2019-02-04, 03:45 AM
Your bard can't play a musical instrument to save his life, and his singing sounds like cats mating. So... he uses Minor Illusion to play songs. Unfortunately all the songs he plays sound like Maroon 5.

BreaktheStatue
2019-02-04, 04:51 AM
No list of "all the ****ty music" would be complete without Billy Ray Cyrus' "Achy Breaky Heart." I don't know what spell you'd associate with it, maybe something with healing or calm emotion.

Zaharra
2019-02-04, 07:05 AM
That's stupid there are so many things we do that wasn't done back then. Do you talk like Shakespeare when you play. Do you use old English mannerisms and slang. No you dont so why would you harp on a bard using modern songs.

I mean, I could, but my character doesn't know English, she knows Common, and apparently common sounds very much like modern American English from our world :)

I didn't invent the trope or the name for it, it just exists as a thing that some players do that's an example of bad roleplaying and it's so unoriginal and eye roll worthy that it gets a trope to describe it

Sigreid
2019-02-04, 09:12 AM

Fantasy game in an imaginary world. There is no back then.

Vogie
2019-02-04, 09:23 AM
What's new pussycat.

Followed by 2 plays of It's Not Unusual

xroads
2019-02-04, 10:46 AM
"Who Let the Dogs Out?" by Baha Men

Do the Macarena while casting Tasha's Hideous Laughter.

Or perhaps even more cruel, use Suggestion to have your opponent do the Macarena.

xroads
2019-02-04, 10:48 AM
No list of "all the ****ty music" would be complete without Billy Ray Cyrus' "Achy Breaky Heart." I don't know what spell you'd associate with it, maybe something with healing or calm emotion.

I cringed when I saw this suggestion. Good choice!

MilkmanDanimal
2019-02-04, 01:19 PM
Unfortunately all the songs he plays sound like Maroon 5.

Ah, so basically only casts "Sleep".

GlenSmash!
2019-02-04, 06:35 PM
My contribution:

When giving Bardic inspiration sing Nickelback's 'Hero".

Creed's "Can You Take Me Higher?" for Levitation and Fly spells

Maybe pick songs that are thematically 'close' to the situation, but in poor taste?

Scenario:
Cleric is racing into melee range to get the barbarian back on their feet before they fail their death saves.
Bard attempts to inspire the cleric with some good field medic music... plays the theme from M*A*S*H.

Oh that's brilliant.

Zhorn
2019-02-04, 10:40 PM
Oh that's brilliant.
I'm glad to know at least someone got the joke.

djreynolds
2019-02-05, 04:23 AM
Like Monty Python and The Holy Grail....
Sir Robin ran away.

Just sing songs about your party's short comings.

If someone rolls a 1... "one is the loneliest number..."

Just make sure you are not eaten

Petrocorus
2019-02-05, 03:48 PM
"I want to break free (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Mc-NYPHaQ)" = Freedom of movement

"Der Hölle Rache (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLlux8ICOfI)" = Crown of Madness

"Klendathu Drop (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIGHCoVzqtk)" = Feather Fall

"Cold Case Theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaw9Vpa0JDM)" = Speak with dead

And for Teleportation Circle, well, that's obvious (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnWUFyRHwTQ).

GlenSmash!
2019-02-05, 04:37 PM
I'm glad to know at least someone got the joke.

It's so good I wanted to come up with other examples of the same thing but failed.