PDA

View Full Version : Silly build for the charger feat since DM allows jump distance to add damage on attac

Shuruke
2019-02-03, 12:26 PM
So my group of DMs allows the distance covered by a long jump to add 1d6 damage per 10 feet of travel

Generally u have to move 10 feet before a long jump and can only jump 20 feet with a 20 in str. Thus taking your thirty feet of movement for turn or extra 2d6 damage.

-In what ways such as jump spell can I increase jump distance
- in what ways can I increase speed so that it is always higher than jump distance

- funny build ideas?

CheddarChampion
2019-02-03, 02:09 PM
Before I start, note that the distance between you and an enemy will likely be the determining factor in how far you can jump towards them. If an enemy is 20 feet away but you can jump 60, your DM might limit the effective jump damage bonus to 20 feet.

Now on to the main event:

How to increase jump distance:
Boots of Striding and Springing: 3x jump distance but limited by remaining speed.
The jump spell: 3x jump distance. Level 9 warlocks can cast it at will, but then again it's only a 1st level spell.
Step of the Wind from monk: 2x jump distance with 1 ki point and a bonus action, also dash or disengage, but doesn't mesh with charger.
Second-Story work from thief rogue: add dexterity modifier to jump distance.
Tiger totem barbarian: +10 long jump when raging, no heavy armor
Athletics checks to jump further? Ask your DM.

How to increase speed:
Mobile feat: +10
Bonus action dash (rogue, monk, eagle barbarian, full orc racial trait), (doesn't mesh with the charger feat)
Haste spell: x2 speed (does dashing with the haste action trigger charger? Ask your DM.)
Monk unarmored movement: +10 to +30
Barbarian level 5: +10
Elk totem barbarian: while raging +15, but no heavy armor
Tabaxi racial trait (only usable every other turn at best) x2
Wood elf racial trait: +5
Half-elf variant racial trait: +5 (give up two skills)
Squat nimbleness feat: +5 if your normal speed is 25
Probably some magic items

The three builds I see working are:
(#3 is my personal favorite)

Build #1:
Variant Half-elf fighter 1/warlock 9 or paladin 2/warlock 9
Starting stats: 16/10/14/10/10/16
Charger feat at warlock 4
Boost strength at warlock 8, and again when possible.
With the otherworldly leap invocation, you can cast jump at will.
So when you get strength to 20, you can jump 60 feet with the spell active.
With variant half-elf, your speed is 35.
Dash to get 70: move 10, jump 60, bonus action charger attack: +5 and +6d6 damage.
You can get mobile later on to have some pre-jump maneuverability, or maximize charisma for spells.
The big con here is that you have to use your action to cast jump.
Otherwise this is still a valid build even when not jump attacking.

Build #2:
Any race Tiger barbarian 8/anything x:
Start with the stats:
16/14/14/10/10/10
plus whatever you might get from your race.
Maximize strength by level 8, boost long jump distance to 30 when raging, your speed is 40: move 10, jump 30, make an attack with +3d6 damage, and one normal attack.
Forego the charger feat.
This one can be done turn #1, and just depends on how many times you can rage.

Build #3:
Goliath/half orc/bugbear tiger barbarian 5/arcane trickster 15:
Start with 16/14/14/10/10/10 with at 12 in wisdom or intelligence, your choice.
Maximize strength asap, per the usual.
Pick up the jump spell (and other self buffs) from arcane trickster, now your jump distance is 60.
Dash with cunning action: move 10, jump 60, recklessly attack with a rapier for two attacks, one adds +6d6 +sneak attack dice. You have 10 feet speed leftover.
When you are out of jump spells, you can rage instead for 30 feet jump speed and no bonus action dash
This is probably the most viable build: it requires the least ASI's, performs the best even when you can't jump, and has many defensive abilities (3 saves, danger sense, evasion, rage resistance).
Finally, if your DM will let you jump farther with an athletics check, take expertise in that and enjoy +17 to its checks, advantage while raging, and a min roll of 10 thanks to reliable talent.

Shuruke
2019-02-03, 02:21 PM
Haha thatd be great

I don't think barbarian would be good cuz need feather fall for the inevitable miss to avood taking the damage

But jumping 60 feet with a great weapon charger feat attack with a great axe for 1d12+15 +6d6 could be funny. Takes 2 feats
But with warlock and the invocation for jump of u also take spells that cause things like hold person paralysis for a crit that would be funny
2d12 12d6+15+mod XD

Jist figured I'd mess around with a fun charger build
Right now we have a samurai wood elf with mobile feet and athletics that the wizard casts jump on and bard casts haste on XD led to some fun encounters

NOMster
2019-02-04, 06:30 AM
I was actually working on this when I found this thread.
Swiftstride shifter gets +5 speed all the time, +5 while shifted and 10 foot reaction move without AoO. Stack that with the barbarian elk path at 3 and mobile feat at 4. by 5 you're moving 60' with no items while shifting. And you can do it on every turn until shifting ends which only requires a short rest to repeat.

Then do whatever you can to jump farther. I didn't get that far yet.

Shuruke
2019-02-04, 07:00 AM
Haha that's awesome XD

My friend just mentioned that a high level caster with charger feat great axe prof and Tenser transformation could b funny if someone cast jump on them

1d12+2dx+7or17 (+2 Str mod lol) then add jump distance d6 even only like 3d6 would b funny.

Hulked out mage drawing axe and leaping 30 feat

Pez5150
2019-02-06, 08:49 AM
I think cheddarchampion has covered everything lol.

TripleD
2019-02-06, 09:28 AM
I don't think barbarian would be good cuz need feather fall for the inevitable miss to avood taking the damage

This may not be needed. I built a jumper build a while back (unintuitively Tortles actually make fantastic jumpers by way of monk/barbarians) and there’s some ambiguity here. Namely, does “jumping” give you “falling” damage?

According to sage advice, falling damage only happens if the fall distance exceeds the jump height. In the example given: a rogue jumps off of a ten foot high fence. The falling damage is only the ten feet, not the ten feet plus the distance jumped into the air.

It makes physical sense as well. The energy received on impact is equal to the energy needed to jump in the first place. If you didn’t damage your legs in the initial jump why would the same amount of force damage them on the way down?

Also: don’t forget about the Ring of Jumping. It’s an uncommon item, but it lets you cast Jump on yourself as a bonus action as many times as you want.

CTurbo
2019-02-06, 10:29 AM
I'd go Totem Barb with Mobile and Charger feat

At level 3, Eagle, Elk, or Tiger would work
At level 14, I'd go Eagle all the way.

For race, I think Tabaxi or Minotaur would be best.

Tabaxi would be able to jump REALLY far with Eagle Totem at 14.
Minotaur has a built in charger feature already plus bonus cool points.

I'd take 2 levels of Monk for more movement and bonus dash.
2 levels of Rogue would work too for Cunning Action and Expertise in Athletics.

BigPixie
2019-02-06, 03:15 PM
Before I start, note that the distance between you and an enemy will likely be the determining factor in how far you can jump towards them. If an enemy is 20 feet away but you can jump 60, your DM might limit the effective jump damage bonus to 20 feet.

Now on to the main event:

How to increase jump distance:
Boots of Striding and Springing: 3x jump distance but limited by remaining speed.
The jump spell: 3x jump distance. Level 9 warlocks can cast it at will, but then again it's only a 1st level spell.
Step of the Wind from monk: 2x jump distance with 1 ki point and a bonus action, also dash or disengage, but doesn't mesh with charger.
Second-Story work from thief rogue: add dexterity modifier to jump distance.
Tiger totem barbarian: +10 long jump when raging, no heavy armor
Athletics checks to jump further? Ask your DM.

How to increase speed:
Mobile feat: +10
Bonus action dash (rogue, monk, eagle barbarian, full orc racial trait), (doesn't mesh with the charger feat)
Haste spell: x2 speed (does dashing with the haste action trigger charger? Ask your DM.)
Monk unarmored movement: +10 to +30
Barbarian level 5: +10
Elk totem barbarian: while raging +15, but no heavy armor
Tabaxi racial trait (only usable every other turn at best) x2
Wood elf racial trait: +5
Half-elf variant racial trait: +5 (give up two skills)
Squat nimbleness feat: +5 if your normal speed is 25
Probably some magic items

The three builds I see working are:
(#3 is my personal favorite)

Build #1:
Variant Half-elf fighter 1/warlock 9 or paladin 2/warlock 9
Starting stats: 16/10/14/10/10/16
Charger feat at warlock 4
Boost strength at warlock 8, and again when possible.
With the otherworldly leap invocation, you can cast jump at will.
So when you get strength to 20, you can jump 60 feet with the spell active.
With variant half-elf, your speed is 35.
Dash to get 70: move 10, jump 60, bonus action charger attack: +5 and +6d6 damage.
You can get mobile later on to have some pre-jump maneuverability, or maximize charisma for spells.
The big con here is that you have to use your action to cast jump.
Otherwise this is still a valid build even when not jump attacking.

Build #2:
Any race Tiger barbarian 8/anything x:
Start with the stats:
16/14/14/10/10/10
plus whatever you might get from your race.
Maximize strength by level 8, boost long jump distance to 30 when raging, your speed is 40: move 10, jump 30, make an attack with +3d6 damage, and one normal attack.
Forego the charger feat.
This one can be done turn #1, and just depends on how many times you can rage.

Build #3:
Goliath/half orc/bugbear tiger barbarian 5/arcane trickster 15:
Start with 16/14/14/10/10/10 with at 12 in wisdom or intelligence, your choice.
Maximize strength asap, per the usual.
Pick up the jump spell (and other self buffs) from arcane trickster, now your jump distance is 60.
Dash with cunning action: move 10, jump 60, recklessly attack with a rapier for two attacks, one adds +6d6 +sneak attack dice. You have 10 feet speed leftover.
When you are out of jump spells, you can rage instead for 30 feet jump speed and no bonus action dash
This is probably the most viable build: it requires the least ASI's, performs the best even when you can't jump, and has many defensive abilities (3 saves, danger sense, evasion, rage resistance).
Finally, if your DM will let you jump farther with an athletics check, take expertise in that and enjoy +17 to its checks, advantage while raging, and a min roll of 10 thanks to reliable talent.
Don't forget the niche ability of the Champions lvl 7 feature, for once the goddamn thing shines.

Shuruke
2019-02-06, 09:47 PM
True
And its ruled on critz the jump damage crits so champion would be funny