PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Archivist scroll of spell-like abilities?

Jack_Simth
2019-02-03, 01:49 PM
Hello all,

So... can an archivist arrange to get spells of unique spell-like abilities from various creatures? My chain of logic goes like this:

Per the Magic Item Basics (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm):
Prerequisites

Certain requirements must be met in order for a character to create a magic item. These include feats, spells, and miscellaneous requirements such as level, alignment, and race or kind. The prerequisites for creation of an item are given immediately following the item’s caster level.

A spell prerequisite may be provided by a character who has prepared the spell (or who knows the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard), or through the use of a spell completion or spell trigger magic item or a spell-like ability that produces the desired spell effect. For each day that passes in the creation process, the creator must expend one spell completion item or one charge from a spell trigger item if either of those objects is used to supply a prerequisite.

It is possible for more than one character to cooperate in the creation of an item, with each participant providing one or more of the prerequisites. In some cases, cooperation may even be necessary.

If two or more characters cooperate to create an item, they must agree among themselves who will be considered the creator for the purpose of determinations where the creator’s level must be known. The character designated as the creator pays the XP required to make the item.

Typically, a list of prerequisites includes one feat and one or more spells (or some other requirement in addition to the feat).

When two spells at the end of a list are separated by "or," one of those spells is required in addition to every other spell mentioned prior to the last two. (Emphasis added)

Per scrolls (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm):
The spell must be of the correct type (arcane or divine). Arcane spellcasters (wizards, sorcerers, and bards) can only use scrolls containing arcane spells, and divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers) can only use scrolls containing divine spells. (The type of scroll a character creates is also determined by his or her class.)(Emphasis added)

An Archivist (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?page=3&x=dnd%2Fex%2F20051007a) gets Scribe Scroll as a bonus feat, and has a nifty clause in the spell list:
An archivist begins play with a prayerbook containing all 0-level cleric spells plus three 1st-level cleric spells of the player's choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus the archivist has, the prayerbook has an additional 1st-level cleric spell. At each new class level, the archivist gains two new cleric spells for his prayerbook; these can be of any spell level or levels that he can cast (based on his new archivist level). At any time, an archivist can also add spells found on scrolls containing divine spells to his prayerbook, but he must make any rolls and spend the time required (see Adding Spells to a Wizard's Spellbook on page 178 of the Player's Handbook). The archivist can learn and thus prepare nonclerical divine spells in this fashion but the two free spells he gains for advancing in class level must be selected from the cleric spell list.(Emphasis added)

So... in theory, an Archivist could cooperate with, say, A Balor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#balor) to make a divine scroll of the Balor's Summon Demon spell-like ability, then scribe that into his prayerbook, and cast it as a divine spell (9th level, which grants the services of "4d10 dretches, 1d4 hezrous, or one nalfeshnee, glabrezu, marilith, or balor" for an hour...).

Am I missing anything?

DrMotives
2019-02-03, 02:02 PM
While that ability is called out as equivalent of a 9th level spell, it is not listed as a spell-like ability. In fact, there is a list of spell-likes Balor have, and then the summon power is a different section in the entry. This just means if you have any countermagic, you treat the summons as a 9th. It's like the assigned spell levels to warlock invocations, those still can't be put into a scroll. They just have level equivalents.

Jack_Simth
2019-02-03, 02:05 PM
While that ability is called out as equivalent of a 9th level spell, it is not listed as a spell-like ability. In fact, there is a list of spell-likes Balor have, and then the summon power is a different section in the entry. This just means if you have any countermagic, you treat the summons as a 9th. It's like the assigned spell levels to warlock invocations, those still can't be put into a scroll. They just have level equivalents.

It's got the sp tag, which does mean it is a spell-like ability. It's just a unique one, as it is not tied to a specific spell.

Also, do you have a quote on Warlock invocations not being scroll-able?

unseenmage
2019-02-03, 02:16 PM
At this point you could even use the oft quoted bit about psionic powers being spell like too.

I like this idea though. From what I see of what you references it should work, stat block arrangement nitpicking notwithstanding.

Crichton
2019-02-03, 03:11 PM
The only potential dealbreaker I see is that Scribe Scroll says "You can create a scroll of any spell that you know." So unless there's a spell with the exact effects that the Balor's SLA is replicating, I don't think you can make a scroll of it. The magic item rules you quoted say you can use an SLA that has the spell effect needed to fulfill the prerequisites for crafting a magic item, not that you can make a spell out of an SLA. Scribe Scroll doesn't have any listed prerequisites for the SLA to meet, just that you can create a scroll of any spell you know, so even if you for some reason wanted to make a scroll of an SLA that was an identical effect to a spell, I don't think you could, according to the text of Scribe Scroll.

Ruethgar
2019-02-03, 06:29 PM
Wouldn’t a Spellhoarding Dragon pretty much be able to make all magic scribe-able and the Archivist able to snag them from the scales? I always thought that would be an interesting quest, go with or as a dragon to gather obscure, unique effects as scrolls. Or more dangerously, gather the SLA beasties as deliver them to the dragon.

Jack_Simth
2019-02-03, 08:36 PM
The only potential dealbreaker I see is that Scribe Scroll says "You can create a scroll of any spell that you know." So unless there's a spell with the exact effects that the Balor's SLA is replicating, I don't think you can make a scroll of it. The magic item rules you quoted say you can use an SLA that has the spell effect needed to fulfill the prerequisites for crafting a magic item, not that you can make a spell out of an SLA. Scribe Scroll doesn't have any listed prerequisites for the SLA to meet, just that you can create a scroll of any spell you know, so even if you for some reason wanted to make a scroll of an SLA that was an identical effect to a spell, I don't think you could, according to the text of Scribe Scroll.

Per the definition of spell-like abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities):

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp)

Usually, a spell-like ability works just like the spell of that name. A few spell-like abilities are unique; these are explained in the text where they are described.

A spell-like ability has no verbal, somatic, or material component, nor does it require a focus or have an XP cost. The user activates it mentally. Armor never affects a spell-like ability’s use, even if the ability resembles an arcane spell with a somatic component.

A spell-like ability takes the same amount of time to complete as the spell that it mimics (usually 1 standard action) unless otherwise stated. Spell-like abilities cannot be used to counterspell, nor can they be counterspelled. In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell(emphasis addded)

So whenever something references spells, spell-like abilities also interact similarly unless stated otherwise (and so a Maralith can actually make use of Project Image).

HouseRules
2019-02-03, 08:57 PM
Per the Definition of Spell-Like Abilities (http://dmreference.com/SRD/Basics/Special_Abilities_Conditions/Special_Abilities.htm)

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): Spell-like abilities, as the name implies, are spells and magical abilities that are very much like spells. Spell-like abilities are subject to spell resistance and dispel magic. They do not function in areas where magic is suppressed or negated (such as an antimagic field).

Note that there are two places in the SRD that has the definition. From the RTF files in Basics/Special Abilities and Conditions, and the Basics/Types, Subtypes, and Special Abilities. d20srd has the Types, Subtypes, and Special Abilities version.

Note that the Special Abilities and Conditions version, Spell-Like Abilities may be interpreted as Spells by the uninitiated.

Spell-like abilities, as the name implies, are spells and magical abilities that are very much like spells.

emphasis added to show the wrong way to interpret them.

Spell-Like Abilities, as the name implies, are spells that are very much like spells.

Zaq
2019-02-03, 09:20 PM
SLAs are really frustratingly poorly defined in a lot of ways. There's a fair amount of gray area regarding exactly which ways they are like spells and exactly which ways they're just their own thing. (Some of it is very clear, make no mistake, but definitely not all of it by a long shot--as one finds out when one is carefully parsing exactly what rules apply to some SLAs. Like, I don't know, utterances. For an example, check out the "Concentration" section of my guide. And there's a fair bit more discussion of gray area in my notes that hasn't made it into the final guide yet.)

I think it's fine to make a scroll of a SLA, but I don't think you can get away with calling it arcane or divine if it doesn't actually mimic a spell. So getting it off of scroll form and into an archivist's prayerbook isn't a trivial matter. I'm not convinced that there's a way to do it by RAW.

I do feel compelled to throw in a mention of my Thack o'Grugnord (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23045121&postcount=90) build here, but I feel equally compelled to point out in no uncertain terms that Thack was entirely a joke build and shouldn't really be taken very seriously.

Jack_Simth
2019-02-04, 07:34 AM
Per the Definition of Spell-Like Abilities (http://dmreference.com/SRD/Basics/Special_Abilities_Conditions/Special_Abilities.htm)

Note that there are two places in the SRD that has the definition. From the RTF files in Basics/Special Abilities and Conditions, and the Basics/Types, Subtypes, and Special Abilities. d20srd has the Types, Subtypes, and Special Abilities version.

Note that the Special Abilities and Conditions version, Spell-Like Abilities may be interpreted as Spells by the uninitiated.

emphasis added to show the wrong way to interpret them.

Spell-Like Abilities, as the name implies, are spells that are very much like spells.

Setting aside that you may wish to re-acquaint yourself with the forum rules....

1) The two sections are not in contradiction, and both are core, so both are in full force.
2) With both in mind, we've got a clear case of 'A functions like B except C' with spell-like abilities functioning as spells with a list of called-out exceptions.
3) Putting it into a scroll is not on the exception list, and so falls through to the "functions like" section.
4) An archivist learning it off of a scroll is not on the exception list, and so falls through to the "functions like" section.

With the 'functions like' section, in this case, being spells, nothing you've suggested actually stops it from working.