PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a program

Mr Croup
2007-09-25, 03:20 PM
Does anyone know of an existing Windows app (preferably something I could run on Windows Mobile 5) out there for calculating temporary bonuses from things like Rage, or Enlarge Person? I haven't come across one yet, but my google-fu may just be weak. Any thoughts?

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-09-26, 03:12 PM
I'd write one in MS XL - you know, the spreadsheet program.

All you have to do is feed it the bonuses as formulae that calculate off the ability scores you enter - and they're all simple formulae, really.

E.G.:
For Rage, you'll need a cell each to type in STR, CON, Level and HP. Let's say you put those in collumn A, starting at A1. The formula to calculate the new STR while raging is this

=A1+4

To calculate the new STR bonus you need this formula:

=((A1+4)-11)/2

For that cell, you need to set the number of decimal places to display to zero. See, all the bonuses from ability scores that we have are based on your how much more than 10 your ability score is.

I'm sure you can figure the rest out. It's all there in the help files - and there are loads of people at work, school, college, etc who can help you with XL.

Mr Croup
2007-09-26, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I know I could do it in Excel, I just thought I'd check to see if anyone had created an app out there to save the little bit of work, and to possibly have a nicer looking finished product. Though I may at the very least throw something together in Excel for this week's game.

Zherog
2007-09-26, 03:34 PM
To calculate the new STR bonus you need this formula:

=((A1+4)-11)/2

For that cell, you need to set the number of decimal places to display to zero. See, all the bonuses from ability scores that we have are based on your how much more than 10 your ability score is.

Hmmm... so you're relying upon Excel to actually round up in some cases (for example, a 16 Str in your formula produces a value of 2.5).

I use the formula:

=trunc((A1+4)-10)/2, 0)

Maybe that's because I'm anal retentive...