PDA

View Full Version : Really simple multi-classing question.

DeShurland
2019-02-04, 04:21 AM
Hello all

As per the title, this should be pretty simple.

I am looking at creating a rogue, but taking level 1 of fighter, mainly so i can take archery,

I typically use an app for character creation, and then bottom it all out when transferring to paper. The app suggests that taking rogue at lvl 2, allows me to select 2 skills and enhance my proficiency with them. I always assumed this was a level 1 ability?

Is this correct, at 2 can i take additional proficiency in stealth, thieves tools etc?

Thanks

ProsecutorGodot
2019-02-04, 04:35 AM
You gain class features at class levels, for example, if you are a Fighter 1/Rogue 1 multiclass then you have all of the class features of a 1st level fighter and a 1st level rogue. Expertise is the class feature that it allowing you to choose to those skills to gain expertise in. You're not choosing extra proficiencies, it must be applied to proficiencies you have already taken.

What you don't always get all of is starting proficiencies (Heavy Armor proficiency is universally excluded from multiclassing into a new class) but since Expertise is a class feature and not a starting proficiency you don't have to worry about it.

Aett_Thorn
2019-02-04, 06:09 AM
Hello all

As per the title, this should be pretty simple.

I am looking at creating a rogue, but taking level 1 of fighter, mainly so i can take archery,

I typically use an app for character creation, and then bottom it all out when transferring to paper. The app suggests that taking rogue at lvl 2, allows me to select 2 skills and enhance my proficiency with them. I always assumed this was a level 1 ability?

Is this correct, at 2 can i take additional proficiency in stealth, thieves tools etc?

Thanks

So Multiclassing into Rogue will grant you proficiency in thieves’ tools and one skill from the Rogue’s skill list. That’s normal multiclassing rules from the table.

Then you get all of the level 1 features from that class that you’re going into. So for Rogue, that means expertise in any two skills that you have, including the ones that you just picked up.

DeShurland
2019-02-04, 06:17 AM
TBH I have never bothered with multi-classing, as it is one of the bits I have never understood.

But it makes sense, at level 1, take fighter, at level 2, you take the 1st level of a rogue. gaining those features. i always assumed that if i took one class at lvl 1, then wanted to take another class at lvl 2, you would take that class at lvl 2.

Guessing at lvl 3, I would be taking rogue 2, so uncanny dodge or what it is.

Thanks all

Vogie
2019-02-04, 09:56 AM
TBH I have never bothered with multi-classing, as it is one of the bits I have never understood.

But it makes sense, at level 1, take fighter, at level 2, you take the 1st level of a rogue. gaining those features. i always assumed that if i took one class at lvl 1, then wanted to take another class at lvl 2, you would take that class at lvl 2.

Guessing at lvl 3, I would be taking rogue 2, so uncanny dodge or what it is.

Thanks all

You'd get Cunning Action at Rogue 2 (bonus action Dash, Disengage, or Hide).

Also note that your proficiencies will be based on whichever you chose first. If you were a Rogue first level, you'd have proficiencies with Dex & Int (and the requisite rogue skills, including weapons & armor), but if you were a fighter first level, you'd have proficiencies in Str, Con, and the requisite fighter skills, including weapons & armor.

In some cases it doesn't matter, but in others it does. For example, Fighter first allows:

Proficiency with Longbows and heavy crossbows
Proficiency with Medium & High armor
Only 2 Skills
Starting equipment with a longbow and heavy armor, as well as most melee weapons
While being a Rogue first allows:

Proficiency with only simple ranged weapons and hand crossbows
Proficiency with only light armor
Add your proficiency bonus to initiative checks (EDIT: My bad, see below)
4 skills
Starting equipment including a shortbow, leather armor, only finesse weapons, and the option to pick a burglar's pack

Keravath
2019-02-04, 10:32 AM
You'd get Cunning Action at Rogue 2 (bonus action Dash, Disengage, or Hide).

Also note that your proficiencies will be based on whichever you chose first. If you were a Rogue first level, you'd have proficiencies with Dex & Int (and the requisite rogue skills, including weapons & armor), but if you were a fighter first level, you'd have proficiencies in Str, Con, and the requisite fighter skills, including weapons & armor.

In some cases it doesn't matter, but in others it does. For example, Fighter first allows:

Proficiency with Longbows and heavy crossbows
Proficiency with Medium & High armor
Only 2 Skills
Starting equipment with a longbow and heavy armor, as well as most melee weapons

Add your proficiency bonus to initiative checks
4 skills
Starting equipment including a shortbow, leather armor, only finesse weapons, and the option to pick a burglar's pack

However, when you multiclass into fighter you still receive all the weapon and armor proficiencies except heavy armor.

"Fighter: Light armor, medium armor, shields, simple weapons, martial weapons"

"Rogue: Light armor, one skill from the class's skill list, thieves' tools"

So the only differences between 1F/1R and 1R/1F are the following:

1R/1F: One extra skill (4 to start +2 background = 6 total), Dex and Int saving throws
1F/1R: One less skill (2 to start + 2 background + 1 rogue multiclass = 5 total), str and con saves, heavy armor proficiency

Since a rogue won't usually wear heavy armor anyway due to the disadvantage on stealth checks ... the sum total of the difference in changing the order of taking the classes is ONE skill and your preferred saving throws.

Rukelnikov
2019-02-04, 10:43 AM

Add your proficiency bonus to initiative checks
4 skills

How do you get prof to ini??

Vogie
2019-02-04, 01:35 PM
How do you get prof to ini??

Initiative is a Dexterity Check.

Grabbing your first level of All of the classes that have Proficiency to Dex have that feature - Rogue, Monk, Ranger, & Bard - give you that feature (EDIT: My Bad), and by multiclassing Bard, you can get half of your proficiency to Dex checks provided you don't already have one.

While most things are just "your preferred saving throws" (as Keravath said), Rogues specifically want to start with one of those classes with Proficiency to Dexterity.

There are other ways to gain increased initiative as well:

Gloomstalker Ranger, all versions, give WIS to initiative
War Wizard gives INT to Initiative
Swashbuckler gives CHA to initiative
The Revised Ranger, and any Weapon of Warning, gives advantage on Initiative Rolls
The Alert feat gives +5 to initiative

Scout and Thief have initiative modifiers, but they're so deep in the class it isn't dip-able.

ProsecutorGodot
2019-02-04, 01:47 PM

Grabbing your first level of All of the classes that have Proficiency to Dex have that feature - Rogue, Monk, Ranger, & Bard - give you that feature, and by multiclassing Bard, you can get half of your proficiency to Dex checks provided you don't already have one.

While most things are just "your preferred saving throws" (as Keravath said), Rogues specifically want to start with one of those classes with Proficiency to Dexterity.

There are other ways to gain increased initiative as well:

Gloomstalker Ranger, all versions, give WIS to initiative
War Wizard gives INT to Initiative
Swashbuckler gives CHA to initiative
The Revised Ranger, and any Weapon of Warning, gives advantage on Initiative Rolls
The Alert feat gives +5 to initiative

Scout and Thief have initiative modifiers, but they're so deep in the class it isn't dip-able.

You seem to have grossly misunderstood proficiency in Dexterity saving throws for checks. It's not the same and starting those classes does not give you your proficiency to initiative.

RogueJK
2019-02-04, 01:51 PM

Grabbing your first level of All of the classes that have Proficiency to Dex have that feature - Rogue, Monk, Ranger, & Bard - give you that feature

No. That proficiency granted at 1st level by Rogue, Monk, Ranger, or Bard is for Dexterity saving throws, and that does not allow you to apply your proficiency bonus to Initiative, nor to all DEX checks across the board. Just DEX saving throws.

As you said, Initiative is a DEX check. A check is not the same thing as a saving throw.

Chronos
2019-02-04, 08:22 PM
Barbarians can also get advantage on initiative checks, starting at level 7.